By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to reveal "new way to play the Switch" in 12 hours from now.

Can't wait to see it going literally up in flames ,arf.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Green098 said:

That's what exactly what a lot of people's first reaction's were when Nintendo first revealed 1-2-Switch and Arms, yet look how that turned out. I think this will do okay overall even if it's mostly saved by Japan. I don't think it really needs to do anything crazy anyway.

How did they turn out? They're the worst-selling 1st party titles on the Switch and by a good margin too. Sure they still sold pretty well, but a lot of it I think was down to the launch window hype and stuff. Also, they weren't nearly as confusing as this, at least not to me - at least Arms wasn't confusing at all, it was a fighting game using the Joycon's motion controls for punching, in fact that's as simple and straightforward as it gets.

1-2-Switch was definitely more confusing and I've no idea how it sold as well as it has, but it was at least cheaper than your average game (not more expensive), and didn't involve you getting loads of cardboard along with it. Also, launch hype.

When they are the worst selling 1st party titles on the system and they both sold over 1 million and counting in less than the systems 1st year, they are only giving more faith in this.

It only needs to do like 500k at most lifetime to be worth while anyway.

Last edited by Green098 - on 17 January 2018

I’ve watched it 4 times and I’m still seeing stuff that looks neat but not understanding what is going on really. How is that cardboard car thing moving from just the joycons being in it. How are the cardboard keys going to register? What is that cardboard button on the side of the box and how does it function? Are those just instructions of how to put the pieces together on the switch screen near the end? I’m thinking this will be a one mini game for each cardboard device sort of thing. Comes with the game collection and the pieces to make for each game. I’m guessing other developers will be free to come up with similar game concepts and packagings if they really wanted to.

Last edited by zygote - on 17 January 2018

RolStoppable said:
Nautilus said:
Ok this is REALLY expensive!!!There are two kits, one being 70 dollars and the other being 80!!!And all seems to suggest there will be more kits comming!(in another words, an extra 70 dollars)
I mean, this is a cool looking idea, but the price...

Remember, Skylanders was a big success. Its starter packs costed as much or more as regular games and then there were the added costs for additional figurines and other plastic items.

Each Labo kit includes a game, so I don't see a problem price-wise.

Well did you see a problem with the 12Switch price point?

I think the price could be lower, but it is a really cool concept and it seems to be executed pretty well--at least on the cardboard side. Overall, I think has a lot of potential to be some good, concentrated fun. I'd certainly be interested in giving it a shot.

Around the Network

Well, they certainly weren't joking when they said it was for kids.

It's an interesting concept to say the least, but I don't see this taking off.

RolStoppable said:
Nautilus said:
Ok this is REALLY expensive!!!There are two kits, one being 70 dollars and the other being 80!!!And all seems to suggest there will be more kits comming!(in another words, an extra 70 dollars)
I mean, this is a cool looking idea, but the price...

Remember, Skylanders was a big success. Its starter packs costed as much or more as regular games and then there were the added costs for additional figurines and other plastic items.

Each Labo kit includes a game, so I don't see a problem price-wise.

Well, maybe, who knows?

As for the price, Nintendo could have made them cheaper because lets face it, the cost of those cardboxes and strings probably dosent pass the 10 dollars mark, and Nintendo could have sold the software itself for 40 dollars.Assuming there is only one software for the both kits, Nintendo could charge far less for the other kit, like 20 dollars.Plus they would still be making money of the stamps, which are 10 dollars each.

In another words, charge about 50 for the first kit, then 20 for the other kits, and make the most money off the people that buy several kits, or the "extras".I tjink that would have been a more reasonable price.

But there are the skylanders example, so who knows.At least the idea is neat.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

mZuzek said:
tbone51 said:

Will it flop likr splatoon?

I never predicted Splatoon to fail, so your point is moot.

Green098 said:

When they are the worst selling 1st party titles on the system and they both sold over 1 million and counting in less than the systems 1st year, they are only giving more faith in this.

It only needs to do like 500k at most lifetime to be worth while anyway.

Eh, pretty sure they're selling this at a profit (obviously), so they don't really need a certain units threshold or anything. I just don't think it'll be a success.

No its not, im saying your wrong to call it a flop "just because" it doesnt appeal to you. Im not saying it will succeed but lets calm down a bit

zygote said:

I’ve watched it 4 times and I’m still seeing stuff that looks neat but not understanding what is going on really. How is that cardboard car thing moving from just the joycons being in it. How are the cardboard keys going to register? What is that cardboard button on the side of the box and how does it function? Are those just instructions of how to put the pieces together on the switch screen near the end? I’m thinking this will be a one mini game for each cardboard device sort of thing. Comes with the game collection and the pieces to make for each game. I’m guessing other developers will be free to come up with similar game concepts and packagings if they really wanted to.

The car moves by making use of HD Rumble.
Looks like we will will know more in February.
https://labo.nintendo.com/events/

Last edited by caffeinade - on 17 January 2018