By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to reveal "new way to play the Switch" in 12 hours from now.

zygote said:

I’ve been thinking about it and I think this is actually going to go over really well leading into the holidays and summer. A lot of potential. I’ve already invited a friend over to build them and play with me too. Lol.

Nintendo will sell the cardboard pieces separate too in case replacements are needed, but they can be reinforced with glue and tape. It encourages repairing and being interactive. Getting engaged and your hands dirty. It’s actually an extension of the basic Switch concept in general where you turn the controllers in different ways for different setups. Nintendo is trying to break our reservations and barriers down, and it might actually work. (This time)

I actually love the fact it’s meant to get kids away from the screen and get hands on!

Around the Network
zygote said:

I’ve watched it 4 times and I’m still seeing stuff that looks neat but not understanding what is going on really. How is that cardboard car thing moving from just the joycons being in it. How are the cardboard keys going to register? What is that cardboard button on the side of the box and how does it function? Are those just instructions of how to put the pieces together on the switch screen near the end? I’m thinking this will be a one mini game for each cardboard device sort of thing. Comes with the game collection and the pieces to make for each game. I’m guessing other developers will be free to come up with similar game concepts and packagings if they really wanted to.

"How is that cardboard car thing moving from just the joycons being in it."

HD-rumble. Nudge the object in the right positions to get it moving. I'm interested if HD-rumble is precise enough to even steer it. Anyways, do you remember the reveal and thinking: this HD-rumble is neat, but it's only useful for this one 1-2-Switch-game? Well, now you know better.

"How are the cardboard keys going to register?"

There are reflecting strips on the other side of the keys and the Joycon with the IR-camera notices their movement and detects which key you pushed, so the right note can be played. Again, remember the reveal and asking if this IR-camera is really needed? Well, outside of eating a sandwich in 1-2-Switch? Look, now you know for what it is.

"I’m guessing other developers will be free to come up with similar game concepts and packagings if they really wanted to."

I guess and I hope so. Think what Lego actually could do with ideas like this.

And it just gets me, how Nintendo designed the Switch with this in mind, because nobody can tell me this works this well together with the Joycons and is not thought through before the release of the Switch.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

KLXVER said:
spemanig said:

How dare they diversify.

OT: I don’t know what this is, but I’m guessing it will be a great time to buy stock now, and a better time to sell stock once it launches.

Yeah, because kids are so underrepresented on Nintendo consoles...

According to your own post, "two steps forward" doesn't mean they're over represented.

Very different, I think this could be huge because it's so different

RolStoppable said:
Nautilus said:

I guess expecting a honest response from you was asking a bit too much.

I gave you an honest response.

When you set the bar at "40 hours of unique experience", then the vast majority of games fails to provide that. It would be somewhat defensible if you made the point that all games are too expensive, but I don't think that is what you were going for.

I assumed, given your long history here and as an extention being used to discuss stuff, that you understood that those "40 hours of unique experience" was simply an examplification on wether the package will have a lasting appeal as in, anyone who is playing it wont be bored after an hour interacting with it, and actually be enjoyable over a period of time.If the novelty is only the construction of the toy-con, rather than the game itself on top of it, I cant see it having much of a appeal to the market, since there would exist better options on the market and being cheaper top.

Thats what I meant.Now, looking at the trailer, I dont believe that the "gamey" part of it will fall flat.The Giant Robot part seemed really entertaining at the very least, but its something that Ill only worry about once previews come in and say negative things about it.This is one kind of product that, after its initial push, will rely heavily on word of mouth, and thats why I said that the overall package must be compelling.The only real issue I have is the pricing, but as you said, Skylanders came at that price and was a success, so I might be worrying in that regard for nothing.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Green098 said:
mZuzek said:

How did they turn out? They're the worst-selling 1st party titles on the Switch and by a good margin too. Sure they still sold pretty well, but a lot of it I think was down to the launch window hype and stuff. Also, they weren't nearly as confusing as this, at least not to me - at least Arms wasn't confusing at all, it was a fighting game using the Joycon's motion controls for punching, in fact that's as simple and straightforward as it gets.

1-2-Switch was definitely more confusing and I've no idea how it sold as well as it has, but it was at least cheaper than your average game (not more expensive), and didn't involve you getting loads of cardboard along with it. Also, launch hype.

When they are the worst selling 1st party titles on the system and they both sold over 1 million and counting in less than the systems 1st year, they are only giving more faith in this.

It only needs to do like 500k at most lifetime to be worth while anyway.

Being profitable does not necessarily make it "worthwhile" for a company like Nintendo. Not when those resources could have been used to create something else that could make them more money. Just sayin'.

This may very well be a success for Nintendo, but for me, I wish these resources went into making something more my style.

said in the other thread will say here My kids saw the video and are super excited for this labo thingy

Seems a very Nintendo thing to do, defy all expectations and take a risk. I have no idea if this will be a success or failure for them, but admire their thinking.

Much like the Wii, it will sell an absolute tonne, then will sit in everyone's closet or attic, never to be played with again. You have to hand it to Nintendo they know fads and how to get people hooked. Good for them and their investors❗️