By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Most DISSAPOINTING Nintendo games?

Star Fox Zero. Not only the controls, but also the really mixed campaign. Some levels could be decent but others were atrocious, and it really didn't live up to the promise of a Platinum/Nintendo co-developed game. It might also have buried Star Fox as a franchise for another decade.

I'm not sure what else I'd list. I don't tend to play every game Nintendo publish or develop, so maybe I have less scope to be disappointed than others. Though some games that have cropped up on a few lists (Wind Waker, Xenoblade Chronicles X for example) I loved.

EDIT: Actually, one game I would class as disappointing was Phantom Hourglass - especially after some reviews and initial fan reaction claimed it as the best portable Zelda. I thought it was a great showcase of the DS's different features, but in terms of its plot, music, characters, dungeons etc was a weak Zelda game. While Spirit Tracks was less inventive, I actually enjoyed that one more because I felt it nailed the 'Zelda' aspect more strongly than Phantom Hourglass did. That being said, I've only ever played the DS Zelda games once. Be good to revisit them sometime and see what I make of them.

Around the Network

Yoshi's Story
Mario Party 8
Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze

Wind Waker [I'm not a huge fan of the art style, and the large ocean always made it feel like they were artificially making it feel bigger]
Any Portable Zelda utilizing WW design [The art style ruined these for me]
Mario Sunshine [I don't like Mario]
Mario Galaxy [I don't like Mario]
Mario Galaxy 2 [I don't like Mario]
Mario Odyssey [I don't like Mario]
Any Mario Party [I don't like Mario, especially when he's playing inane party games that rely 100% on RNG]
ARMs [Not a fan of Punch-Out, or Super Punch-Out, or Super Duper Springy Punch-Out]

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Chrizum said:
Yoshi's Story

Forgot about this one! Such a crushing disappointment for me as a kid after the amazing Yoshi's Island. Half as many levels, incredibly bland level design, and just a tepid, limp experince overall.

Flilix said:
Why do people dislike The Wind Waker? It's one of the best games of all time!

I can only speak for myself but the game breakers for me were:

- Sailing was coma-inducingly boring.

- Dungeons were subpar.

- The art style was hideous.

- Grinding rupees for the Triforce shard quest was so unbelievably tedious I just couldn't bring myself to keep playing.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

You know, there are doctors that deal with eyesight problems.

My vision is 20/20. Just not a fan of characters with huge malformed bobble heads and tiny peg-like bodies, giant slabs of one or two colours for things like water, etc.

Sticker Star and Metroid Other M for me, the former was specially painful for me.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

spurgeonryan said:
curl-6 said:

A kindred spirit at last. ^_^

The true test would be to also see if he dislikes Devils third. Then you are confirmed Kindred Spirits.

I've never heard of Devil's Third until now, but it looks like the reviews of it are bad.  Chances are high that I won't like it.

curl-6 said: 
Flilix said:
Why do people dislike The Wind Waker? It's one of the best games of all time!

I can only speak for myself but the game breakers for me were:

- Sailing was coma-inducingly boring.

- Dungeons were subpar.

- Grinding rupees for the Triforce shard quest was so unbelievably tedious I just couldn't bring myself to keep playing.

I would also like to add that for an action-adventure game it was lacking in two distinct areas:

1. Action
2. Adventure

Pokemon Stadium hands down for me. I was so psyched to play a full on 3D pokemon game and what we got was little more than a pokemon 3D play set.

Dishonorable mentions:
Paper Mario Sticker Star (so boring and hardly an rpg)
Xenoblade Chronicles X (love the first and am loving the sequel on switch. But X felt so aimless it never pulled me in

Bonus: i absolutely love Star Fox Zero. To me its one of the best Wii U games, my favorite Star Fox, and one of the best motion games out there. I do not understand why the controls were so complex for folks (granted takes getting used to)

And metroid other M...is more so bad because its a Metroid game and its legacy towers over it like a child with a magnifying glass towering over an ant pile.

curl-6 said:
mZuzek said:

You know, there are doctors that deal with eyesight problems.

My vision is 20/20. Just not a fan of characters with huge malformed bobble heads and tiny peg-like bodies, giant slabs of one or two colours for things like water, etc.

Prove that 20/20 i wanna see proper documentation from your doctor. 

I wear glasses by the way.