By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Most DISSAPOINTING Nintendo games?

mZuzek said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
1. Wind Waker - This was the first Zelda game I played since Link to the Past. Playing this game made me want to cry. It was like they killed my favorite franchise. It was just so boring and tedious. To me NES Zelda is perfection, and this game is the exact opposite of NES Zelda.

Funny because Wind Waker was pretty much Nintendo's first attempt at a 3D NES Zelda, the technology just wasn't there at the time and also the game was quite rushed. We all know how the second attempt turned out, but it's interesting to see how Wind Waker actually shares plenty of similarities with Breath of the Wild.

Uhg.  I can see how the Link characters look similar between Wind Waker and the first game, but after that the similarities end.  I do have an easier time seeing how Wind Waker can be like Breath of the Wild, but the vision in Breath of the Wild is executed far, far better than Wind Waker.  Perhaps with Breath of the Wild they said, "You know that vast ocean we had in Wind Waker?  Well let's actually fill it with interesting stuff on land."  So in that way I can see how they are similar.  

(Btw, I try not to talk about Wind Waker too much, because I loathe the game, and I am sure there are people out there who really like it.)

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I try not to talk about Wind Waker too much, because I loathe the game

A kindred spirit at last. ^_^

Super Paper Mario makes my list of top 25 games.....probably. I can't imagine how anyone would see it as a let down.

mZuzek said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
1. Wind Waker - This was the first Zelda game I played since Link to the Past. Playing this game made me want to cry. It was like they killed my favorite franchise. It was just so boring and tedious. To me NES Zelda is perfection, and this game is the exact opposite of NES Zelda.

Funny because Wind Waker was pretty much Nintendo's first attempt at a 3D NES Zelda, the technology just wasn't there at the time and also the game was quite rushed. We all know how the second attempt turned out, but it's interesting to see how Wind Waker actually shares plenty of similarities with Breath of the Wild.

That's usual misconception - Morrowind launched on PC & Xbox (classic) that year, few months before WW, both Gothic 1 and 2 were out on PC already, and Daggerfall was several years old at that point (along with Might & Magic games) - GC could've pulled it off...if they really wanted to make NES alike Zelda.

That said, as a Zelda fan, I haven't played BotW, but from everything I've seen and read about it, it seems it will be second 3D Zelda (MM being first) I won't like very much.

Last edited by HoloDust - on 05 January 2018

Zach808 said:

Pretty much every Yoshi's Island game after the SNES one. Yoshi's Island DS was basically the equivalent of the Japanese Super Mario Bros 2, in the sense that it had some of the most difficult, frustrating level design I've ever seen in a Nintendo game, often due to fake difficulty. Just beating the game on its own without 100% is a nightmare.

This was my first thought. I was really excited to play it as the original is my favourite game, but the game can be so cheap at times due to the level design. You should definitely give Woolly World a go though, it's a fantastic game and far better than DS, Story or New Island (the latter two I did enjoy, admittedly).

Around the Network

To me, personally: Breath of the Wild

At large, the last five years, probably: Star Fox Zero

I did not like Star fox 2 at all. Really liked original Star Fox.

1, 2 Switch

Nintendo Land

Wii Sports Club

New Super Mario Bros 2

Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival

The Legend of Zelda Triforce Heroes

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)

Why do people dislike The Wind Waker? It's one of the best games of all time!

For me:
Pokémon ORAS
Pokémon Sun & Moon
Pokémon Ranger
Splatoon 2

bigtakilla said:
As the Xeno series is my favorite series, XC2 was far from the evolution it should have been. Easily my most disappointed game by a LOOOOOOOONG shot.

I haven't played XC 2 yet, hopefully i won't be dissapointed when i do.

Miyamotoo said:

I would need to say Zelda Twilight Princes, Zelda OoT is still my best game ever, and Zelda TP was next 3D Zelda that I will play after OoT and I had huge expectations, and I was disappointment. It was still good game, but IMO noticeably worse than OoT and probably my least favorite 3D Zelda.

Yeah well you're partly to blame Miyamoto! You should've told Aonuma to not give in to fans desires, cause they really don't know what they want and ruin everything! ......... I agree with your honest opinion.

zippy said:
I would say Star Fox Zero. However, the game itself would probably have been better if it had a traditional control option. I initially wasnt struck by Twilight Princess, but fell in love with it years later with the HD remaster. I wonder if anyone went back and replayed some of these disappointments they might enjoy some of them.

Indeed most people seem to have problems with the forced gamepad perhaps the game would've faired better yet i'll never forgive them for rebooting the franchise YET again. Nintendo should've just ignored SF Command and moved on from Assault btw i'm currently playing TP on the GC since i only finished it twice on Wii.

StarOcean said:
Any Nintendo game with a large following

So you like Wii Music? 

Super_Boom said:
In recent memory, Xenoblade Chronicles X and Star Fox: Zero. The former for feeling like an offline MMO without a single interesting character or storyline I cared about, the latter for feeling clunky and generally not very fun to play. Usually I’m open-minded with games trying new things or drifting from their predecessors, but neither of these games did anything for me, despite loving the other games in their series.

I'm actually surprised so many people were dissapointed with SF: Zero i had the impression the hype died off after the trailers and directs showing the "dated" graphics, forced gamepad controls and the game being another reboot... I lost all interest because of the latter.

Podings said:

Far and away Starfox Adventures for me personally.

I was so hyped for that game for years, and it disappointed me deeply.
It's beautiful, and sounds great, but technically it is a simplistic and unengaging Zelda wannabe. I expected more from Rare. So much more.

For an in-house developed title that disappointed me the most, I have to go with Twilight Princess. I expected more than an unfocused and smudgy retread of Ocarina of Time.

To content a bit with the opening statement here, I was much more disappointed with Metroid Prime 3 than I was with 2. The tone was shifted to being a Halo wannabe, and the gameplay formula wasn't implemented as well as previously, on top of being quite stale at that point.

I'm sure Dinosaur Planet would've worked out better because they wouldn't need to change the story and dump Krystal to fit in with the Star Fox lore and can you imagine if it would've stayed a N64 game? I think it was Rare's most ambitious project at the time, a fully voice acted action adventure game but the game definitely suffered in the gameplay.

My feelings exactly.

I agree Prime 3 tried to emulate Halo and it failed but i enjoyed Prime 3 more than Prime 2 but honestly i think both games aren't half as great as Prime 1. It's just that i expected much better from Prime 2.

leedlelee said:

Sunshine felt unfinished and was possibly Nintendo's poorest showing ever...

It amazes me how many fans Sunshine has, many craving for a Sunshine 2. I did have some fun playing the game back then but it's probably the most frustrating and uninspired 3D Mario game i've ever played especially after 64 perfecting the platformer genre.

captain carot said:

Wind Waker:
Simply put it's the most boring Zelda ever for me. Really, really boring. Did i mention boring?

But... but Tingle!