By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Most DISSAPOINTING Nintendo games?

Nothing that I've played so far(from the 3ds, Wii U and up).

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Around the Network

In recent memory, Xenoblade Chronicles X and Star Fox: Zero. The former for feeling like an offline MMO without a single interesting character or storyline I cared about, the latter for feeling clunky and generally not very fun to play. Usually I’m open-minded with games trying new things or drifting from their predecessors, but neither of these games did anything for me, despite loving the other games in their series.

I could say I had a lot of gripes with Fire Emblem Awakening And Fates as well, but seeing as how both games were GOTY for their respective years for me, that wouldn’t mean much. I just hold that series to a very high standard.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Far and away Starfox Adventures for me personally.

I was so hyped for that game for years, and it disappointed me deeply.
It's beautiful, and sounds great, but technically it is a simplistic and unengaging Zelda wannabe. I expected more from Rare. So much more.

Other M is in a different category. That game prompted me the feeling of betrayal much more so that that of disappointment. But I didn't have that high hopes for it to begin with, so I couldn't get all that disappointed.

For an in-house developed title that disappointed me the most, I have to go with Twilight Princess. I expected more than an unfocused and smudgy retread of Ocarina of Time.

To content a bit with the opening statement here, I was much more disappointed with Metroid Prime 3 than I was with 2. The tone was shifted to being a Halo wannabe, and the gameplay formula wasn't implemented as well as previously, on top of being quite stale at that point.

Last edited by Podings - on 04 January 2018

After so many years without a Star Fox, Star Fox Zero definitely fell flat on its face...
I'm not sure I could say anything about Other M that hasn't already been said...
After Galaxy and Galaxy 2, 3D World felt as though it lacked any sense of ambition...
Sunshine felt unfinished and was possibly Nintendo's poorest showing ever...
Every New Super Mario Bros. game since NSMBW has just felt superfluous...
Wind Walter did a lot right but it was clear that it was unfinished...
I feel like Wonderful 101 would have benefited from a little more time in the oven...
And while the original Xenoblade felt so immense and incredible, XCX just wasn't as good...

Have a nice day...

Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival
a game that hardly even qualifies as one. the only player interaction in this game is tapping an amiibo. no button presses, no minigames, just tap and watch the screen. BORING

Yoshi's New Island
Yoshi's Island had beautiful level designs, art styles, and music. the complete package with a tight control scheme that cemented it as one of my all time favorite video games. New Island had none of these things. the art design became cheap, the levels were gimmicky, and oh my god the music was the most mismatched garbage ive ever heard from a AAA game. not to mention the controls were slower than SSB Brawl.

Mario Party 9 / 10 / Island Tour / Star Rush / Top 100
lets not get into this one... we already know what went wrong

Star Fox Zero
not a bad game but it really highlighted just what to expect from Star Fox moving forward. this was reportedly the Star Fox game they always wanted to make, and it was just kind of boring. so is that to say that the series as a whole has just lost its luster and it doesnt belong in modern gaming? were Nintendo right to abandon it for so many years?

Super Mario 3D World
i love the 3D mario titles and despite all the great reviews for this game, I did not enjoy 3D World one bit. the bad camera angles made jumping between platforms 10x more difficult than past games and being built specifically for multiplayer was a step in the wrong direction. i still feel Galaxy 2 is the best from the 3D mario series.

Others that I have minimal opinions on:
Metroid Prime: Federation Force
Miitomo
1 2 Switch
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: GtI
Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon

Around the Network

3. Xenoblade Chronicles X:
Don't like MMO-like combat. I'm fine with classic turnbased as well as realtime but to me those MMO like systems are plain boring. And with mostly flat characters and weak story/storytelling as well as a soundtrack i didn't like made it a big disappointment for me.
2. Wind Waker:
Simply put it's the most boring Zelda ever for me. Really, really boring. Did i mention boring?
1. Star Fox Zero:
What could've been a great shooter and a perfect coop game turned out to be a shitty looking and really shitty controlable piece of shit. Basically the worst shit of shit Nintendo ever released. I just hope it did not kill Star Fox.

Other M had a lot of potential, but it was wasted due to the crap storytelling, and the use of the base Wii remote instead of a nunchuck/Wii remote combo.

d21lewis said:
Snoorlax said:

I love SFA as well! I know it sounds contradicting but that's because I wasn't expecting the game to be 99% a watered down Zelda clone with a rushed and unsatisfying ending. Still I have fond memories playing it, the graphics are breathtaking with a good story and memorable characters but the game would have been so much better had it stayed as Dinosaur Planet.

When I finally played Zelda, I understood where the bad press came from. Still, the graphics, Prince Tricky, the fighting, the exploration, Krystal, and a few other things keep me loving this game. I still have my copy and I keep saying I'm going to play it again some day.

Good to know some people still like SFA! Underrated game with an incredible soundtrack.

SegataSanshiro said:

Super Mario Sunshine

Metroid Prime 2

This is just a personal list and I know many people will disagree with some of these. Accept it and move on.

I actually agree with the ones i bolded lol.  Could you explain why you (and so many) dislike Mario Kart 7 and Wii? I thought they were pretty good.

Bman54 said:

I disagree with many you listed, as Twilight Princess, Smash Bros. Brawl, StarFox Adventures, Metroid Prime 2, and Super Paper Mario are all games I really like (especially TP and Brawl as they're in my top 10 of all time), but the one I will 100% agree with is Other M. Admittedly, I was kind of skeptical of it before release already, but it still ended up being pretty disappointing, and easily one of the worst in the series.

Others worth mentioning to me are Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Spirit Tracks, Tri Force Heroes, Hyrule Warriors and StarFox Assault.

But i like Kirby RtD, Spirit Tracks and SF Assault! 

MTZehvor said:
The OP list (specifically Metroid Prime 2 and FE Fates) triggers me, but setting that aside...

Other M, Skyward Sword, Star Fox Adventures, Star Fox Zero, most recent Mario RPGs, New Super Mario Bros, and Xenoblade X all come to mind.

U triggered bro? I think Skyward Sword and NSMB were fantastic love those games!

nemo37 said:

Here's my list:

Twilight Princess - The dungeons in this game were quite good. Though to be honest the hype and speculations surrounding this game's world made me have expectations that were not really fulfilled until BoTW came out. The motion control hype around this game for Wii made me have expectations that were not fulfilled until Skyward Sword.

Super Mario 64 - This is by far the most controversial choice. I tried playing this game after Sunshine and the controls just felt off.

I agree with Twilight Princess but Mario 64!? I was blown away when i first played that game and i still am lol But yeah the DS version sucked. I was let down by Sunshine after playing 64.

spurgeonryan said:
Star Fox Zero.

Was so hyped, paid full price, then played the first level and never touched it again.

Must have hurt so much.

okr said:
Star Fox Adventures is a great game. I hope it gets a Switch remaster to piss you all off.

It is a great game and i'll buy it if Nintendo ever remasters it! But I was expecting so much more from this game and it could have been much better had Nintendo not pushed Rare to rush the game but it still turned out to be very good.

Zach808 said:

Pretty much every Yoshi's Island game after the SNES one.  

Yeah Yoshi just can't  seem to do well in his own games...

Fuchigole said:
I really like Metroid Other M, but a lot of people seem to dislike it.

For me the most disappointing Nintendo games have to be:
Star fox Adventures.
Super Mario Sunshine

I really like Other M. The game is fantastic as a stand alone but terrible as a Metroid game.

It was also supposed to be Metroid's big break into the mainstream after many unsuccesful attempts but it decided to be something very different from it's roots and nobody was expecting that and fans felt betrayed. 

For me the most disappointing games (in order) were

1. Wind Waker - This was the first Zelda game I played since Link to the Past. Playing this game made me want to cry. It was like they killed my favorite franchise. It was just so boring and tedious. To me NES Zelda is perfection, and this game is the exact opposite of NES Zelda.

2. Super Mario 64 - I tried to like this game on two very different occasions, but it fell short both times. The first time was when my friend showed me his N64 for the first time. This game was nothing like I wanted in a Mario game, and it had a weird controller that had a button on the bottom and required 3 hands. The second time, I played it on the DS, and I really didn't like that it wanted me to go back into levels that I had already played. A bad game all around.

3. Animal Crossing (Gamecube) - I had heard great things about this game, but I just couldn't get into it at all. It felt like it needed an online component to be any good.

4. Wii Music - It was fun at first, but it really felt like a demo. Where was the game?

5. New Super Mario Bros. U - This game developers were really lazy making this game. So many of the levels felt like something I'd played before in NSMB Wii.

6. Twilight Princess - The beginning of this game was terrible. I was going to quit, but I'm glad I stuck with it to get past the wolf Link parts. After that it is a good game, but overall I'd still say it was disappointing.

Mario Kart 7 is disappointing. I remember it being my very first 3DS game, and I thought that the gliding was awesome and the whole philosophy of actual underwater levels was ingenious. Well...

It's true. The course design in MK7 is absolutely amazing.
The music in MK7 is amazing.

But those thoughts all faded into obscurity when I discovered the game had no fucking offline VS Race mode. I thought it'd be an unlockable this time round, but nope, I went through all sorts of procedures only to set myself up for disappointment. The battle mode offline is broken as well, team battles are unplayable and the customisability is limited. The game was objectively rushed to get more console sales for the 3DS' launch window.