By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda Breath of the Wild Director Has 'Lots of Ideas' for Future Zelda Content

CaptainExplosion said:
caffeinade said:
Where do you go from motorcycle?

I don't know, Gundam-like mecha? It'd be pretty fun to fight Ganon with one of those. :)

Not on the WiiU.

Hopefully that old machine won't drag us down much longer.

Around the Network

Guitar link confirmed

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Miyamotoo said:

You cant know that, some of future Zeldas can easily be more linear like before.

You're right that I can't know, but with how hard they went our of their way to cater to people who didn't like Zelda before (and of course, many people who did like Zelda also ended up liking BotW) I think it's fairly safe to say they've abandoned the old fans who didn't. Especially with how well it's selling.

You're entirely right that I can't know for sure. But I see zero reason to be optimistic about it, unfortunately.

Except it never really was about catering to non-Zelda fans. It was about going away from the 3D Zelda conventions and trying something new while being inspired by the original game. As a long time fan of Zelda, I was personally excited for this game when it was shown off for the first time last year. I don’t think they really abandoned anyone. It’s just not necessarily a game for everyone. Mario Odyssey being what it was didn’t mean they abandoned the Mario fans who liked the more linear approaches like 3D Land or 3D World or even the Galaxy games to some extent. If they make another more linear or one that sticks to the formula then that’s fine, same goes for this new approach in Zelda.

Kai_Mao said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:

You're right that I can't know, but with how hard they went our of their way to cater to people who didn't like Zelda before (and of course, many people who did like Zelda also ended up liking BotW) I think it's fairly safe to say they've abandoned the old fans who didn't. Especially with how well it's selling.

You're entirely right that I can't know for sure. But I see zero reason to be optimistic about it, unfortunately.

Except it never really was about catering to non-Zelda fans. It was about going away from the 3D Zelda conventions and trying something new while being inspired by the original game. As a long time fan of Zelda, I was personally excited for this game when it was shown off for the first time last year. I don’t think they really abandoned anyone. It’s just not necessarily a game for everyone. Mario Odyssey being what it was didn’t mean they abandoned the Mario fans who liked the more linear approaches like 3D Land or 3D World or even the Galaxy games to some extent. If they make another more linear or one that sticks to the formula then that’s fine, same goes for this new approach in Zelda.

I feel they did, because it's been my favourite franchise since I learned to walk and this game being called Zelda was an abomination to me. I'm glad for you that you liked it. I didn't, and it makes me sad that this is the route they will be taking, even though it's obviously a successful and logical route for them.

I'd be very surprised if they ever make a Zelda games like the old ones, with how much they went out of their way to remove "staples" from Breath of the Wild, but again, I can never know. We'll see, but I won't be getting my hopes up any time soon.

How about 10,000 years in the future. Do a full FFVII tech world setting and no not that goofy looking Link with a guitar in concept art. BotW said fuck it we have technology in Zelda now but was still more or less traditonal Zelda setting. Now is the chance to go all the way. Doesn't have to be dark or gritty,(hope it isn't)

Around the Network
caffeinade said:
CaptainExplosion said:

I don't know, Gundam-like mecha? It'd be pretty fun to fight Ganon with one of those. :)

Not on the WiiU.

Hopefully that old machine won't drag us down much longer.

Why would it? Wii U is dead and buried, the chances of the next Zelda launching on it are about as high as the Last of Us Part II coming out on Vita.

Jumpin said:
curl-6 said:

If the next flagship Zelda comes out before 2023 I will be shocked.

I don't envy Aonuma and his team having to follow up Breath of the Wild. The pressure to live up to the sky high bar it has bet will be insane.

Since BotW style looks to be the most popular Zelda has ever been, they’re going to be able to ramp up the size of the dev team. That also means more design staff. Aonuma can basically have a similar style job in focusing on the overall concept. I would say he can aim for 2020 with a non-Hyrule direct sequel. This has worked for past Zelda games as well as other open world franchises.

Yeah they could theoretically build a more linear sequel reusing the engine/code from Botw and get it done by 2020, but knowing the Zelda team I think it's more likely they'll go for a "more of the same but bigger/better" conventional sequel, which I think will take at least 5 years even with the headstart that Botw gives them.

Mar1217 said:
An early draft of Revali . Damn, was he looking sick already without the Falco-esque ressemblance xD

Damn, that is a sweet design, though I'm biased when it comes to characters with ponchos xD

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

At this point, it sounds like they should just use these for a sequel, or just the next Zelda. I'd hope BotW doesn't have so much dlc to the point that the main games ends up costing 100 plus with dlc

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Mar1217 said:
To be honest, I think even in the "worst case" scenario, they'll split their team in 2. One's doing the DLC stuff to keep BOTW in our mind (A team kept to a minimal staff with occasional supervision from Aonuma) and the other bigger part of the team with Aonuma as chief supervisor creating the next game or sequel to BOTW.

That wouldn’t occur. DLC design uses a different skill set. They would be much more script-focused than hard code focused. Also the team would be people who specialize on iterative and new feature releases rather than building a project from Concept/Pre-Alpha to launch. It’s not likely any dev resources would be taken from the main staff, only QA, production, and perhaps some art resources; a UI artist, character animator, and maybe some 3D character modellers for any new monster/character assets, 2-3 to do the clothing, and environmental artists for dungeon design. They wouldn’t necessarily fill these from the main dev team either, unless they aren’t required on the main sequel project yet; they would hand these tasks off to new artists still working their way up.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I don't care what they do as long as it doesn't interfere with a new Zelda game in anyway.