By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda Breath of the Wild Director Has 'Lots of Ideas' for Future Zelda Content

Following the release of Breath of the Wild’s Champions’ Ballad DLC, director Hidemaro Fujibayashi is already thinking about what could come next.

“I can't say at this point if it will be in sequels or in continuations, or what form it will take, but I definitely have lots of ideas and lots of motivation right now,” Fujibayashi told IGN.

“I think while we were working on both the main game and the DLC, it was a process of constantly getting lots of different, new ideas as we refined the game, and finding new things we wanted to do,” he added. “Even in situations like this, talking to people and finding out that people want to pet dogs gives me a lot of motivation, a lot of ideas for things we could put into the game.”

What we learned from the DLC this time around is that it's almost like raising the world or enhancing the world,” produer Eiji Aonuma added. “In the past, we always had to start from zero again, to completion. Usually we'd be thinking, ‘oh, I wish we could add this, we could do that.’ What we couldn't do in that game, we would start fresh in a new game. But because we did a DLC, we realized it's a great way to kind of just improve that world, and kind of enhance it, and kind of raise it like your own child.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/12/15/breath-of-the-wild-director-has-lots-of-ideas-for-future-zelda-content

EDIT

Eiji Aonuma confirms to Famitsu that the Champions' Ballad is the finale to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and it is complete.

https://twitter.com/japanese3ds/status/943704747856617472/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.rawgit.com%2Fs9e%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fmaster%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%23943704747856617472

Maybe Eiji Aonuma is here hinting sequel (or prequel) to Zelda BotW, they could basically reuse engine, assets and world itself, something similar like they done going from OoT to MM. That would mean that we want wait too long for new 3D Zelda and that we could see new 3D Zelda in around 2019/2020.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 22 December 2017

Around the Network

Of course he does, they better have ideas they'll be making Zelda games forever

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

A Majora's Mask like sequel would be amazing. Breath of the Wild had a huge world and showed off all of its cool new mechanics, just like Ocarina of Time. The sequel could be more atmospheric and story-driven instead, like Majora's Mask.

I hope they support this game through the generation with DLC. I always like seeing reasons to return to Hyrule. Nintendo hasn’t had a proper DLC dedicated team before this, so having these can be incredibly valuable to keeping a game alive and in the public consciousness. A lot of the most successful PC games are successful because of these sorts of dev processes.

For example. Paradox Games. They have their main team develop a new game, and then leave it in the hands of a DLC support team which ensure not only players will stick with the game for years to come due to fresh new ways to play it, but also ensure that it’s in the public consciousness for years to come. Every 4-6 months for the next few years the game can be continuously repitched to new players highlighting the new and existing features. Aonuma can guide the process with a much less hands on approach while he focuses on building the next major Zelda game.

With Paradox games, it makes them seem deceptively productive since they’re always releasing DLC while always having their next Grand Strategy game on the horizon (I believe they only have two main teams, but each game gets its own dedicated DLC team; and the dev milestones on the DLC are signed off on by the main team leads and producers to ensure brand integrity - essentially, they’re not handing off EU4 or CK2 to some dev for hire to run in how they see fit.

The other benefit is that players have stuff to do while they wait the years it takes to get a full length mainline Zelda built. Zelda gets to constantly feel like a living and growing franchise. BotW DLC also can continue on for years after the launch of the next full game, if they want to. Again, using the Paradox Games example, new games fon’t Mean an end to supporting old games. They keep support up as long as people want it.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I can't imagine where they can go after BotW, but I'm already dying to hear things about it. Go Zelda team!

Around the Network

Botw was great. I just hope one his ideas involves Ganondorf this time. And linkle. 

I'd love to see them keep supporting Breath of the Wild with DLC packs throughout the Switch's life cycle. 

As for new games, they could do one or two top-down 2D games like A Link to the Past/A Link Between Worlds for that 2D Zelda action. Just have another, smaller team take care of that.

Hell, they could have another studio like Grezzo, the ones who made the 3DS remakes of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, or Monolith Soft, who's Kyoto studio helped out with Skyward Sword, take a stab at their own classic styled 3D Zelda game.

I loved Breath of the Wild, and think that should be the main formula going forward, but I don't think the classic formula has to die or go away for it. I think there's room for three types of Zelda games, especially with Breath of the Wild's record setting sales drawing in brand new fans of the series. 
As of now, the best selling Zelda game is Twilight Princess, with both the Wii and GameCube versions combining for around 8.76 million copies sold. Breath of the Wild is on track to sell 10 million on the Switch alone!!

Top-Down 2D (A Link to the Past - A Link Between Worlds formula), Classic 3D (Ocarina of Time - Skyward Sword formula), and Modern Open-World (Breath of the Wild formula.)

Those games, along with the ongoing DLC packs, would at least keep fans pretty busy during the long wait between the next modern, open-world game in the series, which I think will be the next launch title for Nintendo Switch 2 (hopefully) or whatever their next system would be.

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 17 December 2017

PAOerfulone said:

I'd love to see them keep supporting Breath of the Wild with DLC packs throughout the Switch's life cycle. 

As for new games, they could do one or two top-down 2D games like A Link to the Past/A Link Between Worlds for that 2D Zelda action. Just have another, smaller team take care of that.

Hell, they could have another studio like Grezzo, the ones who made the 3DS remakes of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, or Monolith Soft, who's Kyoto studio helped out with Skyward Sword, take a stab at their own classic styled 3D Zelda game.

I loved Breath of the Wild, and think that should be the main formula going forward, but I don't think the classic formula has to die or go away for it. I think there's room for three types of Zelda games, especially with Breath of the Wild's record setting sales drawing in brand new fans of the series. 
As of now, the best selling Zelda game is Twilight Princess, with both the Wii and GameCube versions combing for around 8.76 million copies sold. Breath of the Wild is on track to sell 10 million on the Switch alone!!

Top-Down 2D (A Link to the Past - A Link Between Worlds formula), Classic 3D (Ocarina of Time - Skyward Sword formula), and Modern Open-World (Breath of the Wild formula.)

Those games, along with the ongoing DLC packs, would at least keep fans pretty busy during the long wait between the next modern, open-world game in the series, which I think will be the next launch title for Nintendo Switch 2 (hopefully) or whatever their next system would be.

I agree, almost entirely.
I don't think an OoT style Zelda could ever reach the 8M mark again; in 2006 it was possible, but the landscape of gaming has changed since then. Maybe 5M tops.

I believe the open-world style Zelda increases the potential sales roof of the Zelda franchise to unprecedented levels, perhaps that of the Pokemon/Mario Kart heights. I won't be surprised if Breath of the Wild surpasses 9M by the end of fiscal 2018 in March.

Where I do agree is that there's a place for both styles. While more people prefer the new open world focused Breath of the Wild style, I still see those that like the old linear dungeon-focused OoT style. Also the top down, which is less popular yet, but apparently has its few million fans.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I'm conflicted on this. On one hand I'd love more stories to explore in this version, on the other hand a new Zelda game is a new work of art and I can't wait to see the next art style they blow our minds with.

Where do you go from motorcycle?