By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 worldwide sales top 70.6 million, PlayStation VR tops two million

TAG

Around the Network

BF must have been huge for them at $199. If they maintain $199 with the 2018 software line up then it’s a warp.

VGPolyglot said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Then I guess price point is still the problem.

The attach ratio is at 6 games too, not sure if that includes just PSVR exclusives though or if it is any PSVR compatible game.

For hardware that has only been out for a bit more than a year, that's a rather decent attach rate. Also, it might be that non-PSVR exclusive games are only counted if they have been used with PSVR (which I'm fairly certain Sony will have stats for).

wings said:
Dallinor said:
Interesting to note that the Japanese market has contracted significantly since the PS1/PS2 era and that the PS4 is not exactly hitting a home run in NA (comparitively to the PS2, Wii or 360). So it's appeal as a brand has weakened in some markets, while growing stronger in others.

X is legit competition in NA.  PS4 has an actual fight on its hands unlike PS/PS2 had.

Is it much less sales in same time from compared to Ps/PS2 ?

I'm not going to do a serious analysis of the figures given we don't have numbers updated to the end of the year yet and I don't have time, but roughly speaking- the PS2 had shipped 32.8m by the end of it's 4th year in NA, we will probably have the PS4 close to maybe 24.5-25m sell through by that timeframe, so it's around a 7-7.5m difference, sell through to shipped. Either way it looks like its significantly behind.

Anyone else with more time on their hands feel free to interject if I've got this completely wrong.

wings said:
Dallinor said:
Interesting to note that the Japanese market has contracted significantly since the PS1/PS2 era and that the PS4 is not exactly hitting a home run in NA (comparitively to the PS2, Wii or 360). So it's appeal as a brand has weakened in some markets, while growing stronger in others.

X is legit competition in NA.  PS4 has an actual fight on its hands unlike PS/PS2 had.

XBox has been selling HALF of what PS4 was selling in the US for whole 2017. It has been 3:1  worldwide.

Around the Network
Dallinor said:
wings said:

I'm not going to do a serious analysis of the figures given we don't have numbers updated to the end of the year yet and I don't have time, but roughly speaking- the PS2 had shipped 32.8m by the end of it's 4th year in NA, we will probably have the PS4 close to maybe 24.5-25m sell through by that timeframe, so it's around a 7-7.5m difference, sell through to shipped. Either way it looks like its significantly behind.

Anyone else with more time on their hands feel free to interject if I've got this completely wrong.

you doing it wrong the second you start comparing across generations like that. so many different factors can slant your results.

The Xbox brand as a whole is significantly much better competition in NA to the PS4 than it was to the PS2.

you should also compare it to how it's faring against it's last console. Which in this case is the PS3. 

The 360 dominated NA last gen. for MS to be losing NA to the PS4 this gen is all the win Sony needs in NA. Well that and for it to do better than whatever the PS3 did over there. 

Love the PS4. I'm not surprised. Congrats on making a great console Sony.

Intrinsic said:

you doing it wrong the second you start comparing across generations like that. so many different factors can slant your results.

The Xbox brand as a whole is significantly much better competition in NA to the PS4 than it was to the PS2.

you should also compare it to how it's faring against it's last console. Which in this case is the PS3. 

The 360 dominated NA last gen. for MS to be losing NA to the PS4 this gen is all the win Sony needs in NA. Well that and for it to do better than whatever the PS3 did over there. 

I don't want to go in to the defininition of success argument. In that case all anything needs it for a flop to happen and anything afterwards is a breakaway success.

I was pointing out how they've lost sales/marketshare since their earlier consoles in certain regions while growing in other markets (and yes, obviously there are many factors involved). NA is no longer the powerhouse it was for PS (and Japan for that matter). Cumulative sales of the PS2 saw only 2m in the difference between NA and EU. There will be likely be a 10m sales gap this gen in those regions. It will be interesting when the PS4 is finished selling to see how it compares to the PS2 region to region, to see how the market has shifted since then.

"We can’t ignore the Nintendo Switch, which has also captured consumers attention". Those darn bandits are trying to Switch the tracks again and derail this freight train. More coal, more games!