By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What if the 9th gen launched with Standard and Premium hardware!

Standard and Premium consoles at launch?

Yay! They both play the s... 13 38.24%

Nay! Consoles aren't sup... 21 61.76%

Total:34
derpysquirtle64 said:

Yes, PS4 pro has just a cluster of two ps 4 gpus with higher clocks. Full hardware compatibility. Though just imagine the SoC size with 28nm. It would have been enormous.

And yet... 28nm could still have been pushed farther.
The Xbox One X has 7~ Billion transistors... AMD's Fuji architecture has 9~ Billion at 28nm.
The base Xbox One and Playstation 4 had roughly 5~ Billion transistors at 28nm.

But you are right, the Playstation 4 Pro would have been a big chip... A chip that is impossible to manufacture at 28nm? Not even near it.

Mr Puggsly said:

1. 720p - 1080p is HD. Do you think the average consumer knows the resolution running? At best they just know when it looks bad but effects can make it look better.

720P is HD.
1080P is Full HD or FHD.
1440P is Quad HD/2k.
2160P is Quad Full HD/4k.

Errorist76 said:

If you want more options and flexibility for fucks sake get a PC!

I did. ;)

freebs2 said:

As a customer I word rather have an eGPU released some year after launch (mid-cycle), when better technologies are avliable.

The thing with this console generation is that better technologies were already available when the consoles launched.

Intrinsic said:

better to make the best console you can make at $400/$500, then make a refresh 3-4 years later.

Agreed. Start off with the best hardware that you can have at the very start of the generation... Then release an iterative update later with the best hardware you can.

Mr Puggsly said:

I think there is an expectation that 9th gen specs will achieve 4K with ease. But I dont think thats gonna happen with graphics getting better, games aiming for 60 fps, and competitive pricing. The X1X is $500 and still struggles to achieve or lock at 4K in numerous titles. Some titles drop to 1080p simply to target 60 fps.

I have said it tons of time... If the technology doesn't exist on the PC in the mid-range, then it ain't happening on consoles.

Before the Playstation 4 Pro and Xbox One X launched it should have been common knowledge that 4k was not going to be achievable for either platforms as AMD just doesn't have a mid-range GPU that can reliably do it with decent details.

Next gen is still a few years away... And AMD has a couple of new GPU generations to go through, so that may change.

Mr Puggsly said:

I would hope 9th gen could always be above 1080p, even if its 1440p. I mean 4K is becoming more standard so there is more demand for a crisp picture. A good GPU and CPU should make 1440p and 60 fps fairly common with quality visual assets. If that was a goal of developers at least. More games could be 60 fps on consoles if that was a focus.

You're confusing Forza 7 on X1S with X1X. On X1X, Forza 7 has 4K AND improved graphics. DF said its like the PC at highest settings.

I think not hitting 1080P reliably on the Playstation 4 and Xbox One base consoles was obvious when the hardware was revealed... Despite people drooling over the 8Gb of GDDR5 Ram.
The GPU's those consoles were based on were struggling to reliably attain those resolutions with decent framerates... So it was a given that consoles which are derived from that exact same technology would have the same shortfalls.

Next gen though.. All bets are off.
I would be happy to assert that 1080P will be the lowest rendered resolution... Despite not knowing the exact hardware. - As low-end GPU's are getting surprisingly capable at handling 1080P and next-gen will be using GPU hardware orders-of-magnitude better than that.

DonFerrari said:

Yes optimizing for ALL PCs is hard, but to 2 or 4 Consoles not necessarily.

No developer has ever optimized for all PC's. There is literally zero point. :P

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

mid gen upgrades is the best of both world, devolopers would half ass their games right from the start.

DonFerrari said:
potato_hamster said:

At the cost of optimization. Just look at the quality of gaming experiences we're getting out hardware roughly equivalent to mid-range PCs from 2012 or so. Do you think a game like Horizon is going to run smoothly on a 5 year old mid-range PC? I highly doubt it.

Edit: The PS4's graphics processing is roughly equivalent to a Radeon HD 7850. That doesn't meet the minimum specs of games like the Witcher 3, for example, and that game came out 2.5 years ago. Imagine if the PS5 had a hard time running the latest games just 3-4 years after release.

VAMatt said:

Sales of the mid-gen upgrades are strong, relative to expectations.  That means that consumers want those items, at least enough to satisfy the hardware companies.  That's basically the definition of demand justifying supply.  

Goal shifting at best

.... I don't think you understand how console optimization works, and how it literally does not occur at all on PC. Game developers do not optimize games for any hardware specifications on PCs, but make their games engines interface into much more bloated APIs instead. There's an entire layer of abstraction that does not exist in console programming that gives PC games their hardware compatibility.

They could do it, but will they?

Both models would need to have the same type of hardware, except for GPU performance and storage space/speed. The GPU would need to be the same model, just less CU's in the base model and much more in the Pro model. The Pro model could also use some extra RAM.
This should make scaling games for devs quite easy, so both consoles should be well supported from the start.
The Pro version would probably end up XB1 size, and would require a 300w-400w PSU, which is a lot, but doable.
The base PS5 can be dynamic 4k/60, while the Pro model must be true 4k/60 at all times.
$399 & $599, or $349 and $499. Above $500 at launch could defeat the purpose of a Pro model that early and only lead to the same level of sales PS4 Pro is getting now.
All PS5 games must work on both systems without one or the other feeling broken.
The gen may have to be reduced to 5 or 6 years overall, or have a mid gen upgrade again anyway after both.

I won't be buying PS4 Pro because I can't be bothered now that my PS4 is good enough. Had the Pro been available since launch, I would have gotten it after a year or two instead, when the price came down, and so would most of my friends. We won't upgrade once we make a choice each gen though. Is it better to make the spec hungry gamers wait 3 or 4 years?

I think solving problems like having proper full support for both models from the start due to a more equal user base, would far outweigh a large power hungry console. It's not like they won't shrink it after 2 or 3 years if you require that and would wait that long for a mid gen refresh anyway.

VAMatt said:
DonFerrari said:

Goal shifting at best

If you don't understand that consoles selling in line with or above expectations is evidence that the market wants those consoles, I don't know what else to say.  

It's goal shifting because you assumed it done good without having any numbers... when putting that it does 1/4 of the other version you then declare that to be the MARKET wanting it because the expectations of the MAKERS were met... that isn't how it works.

Yes PS4Pro satisfied what Sony said to be their expectations, and had enough acceptance. But to say that is what the market wants, when it sells 75% less than the other option isn't really true.

Pemalite said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

Yes, PS4 pro has just a cluster of two ps 4 gpus with higher clocks. Full hardware compatibility. Though just imagine the SoC size with 28nm. It would have been enormous.

And yet... 28nm could still have been pushed farther.
The Xbox One X has 7~ Billion transistors... AMD's Fuji architecture has 9~ Billion at 28nm.
The base Xbox One and Playstation 4 had roughly 5~ Billion transistors at 28nm.

But you are right, the Playstation 4 Pro would have been a big chip... A chip that is impossible to manufacture at 28nm? Not even near it.

Mr Puggsly said:

1. 720p - 1080p is HD. Do you think the average consumer knows the resolution running? At best they just know when it looks bad but effects can make it look better.

720P is HD.
1080P is Full HD or FHD.
1440P is Quad HD/2k.
2160P is Quad Full HD/4k.

Errorist76 said:

If you want more options and flexibility for fucks sake get a PC!

I did. ;)

freebs2 said:

As a customer I word rather have an eGPU released some year after launch (mid-cycle), when better technologies are avliable.

The thing with this console generation is that better technologies were already available when the consoles launched.

Intrinsic said:

better to make the best console you can make at $400/$500, then make a refresh 3-4 years later.

Agreed. Start off with the best hardware that you can have at the very start of the generation... Then release an iterative update later with the best hardware you can.

Mr Puggsly said:

I think there is an expectation that 9th gen specs will achieve 4K with ease. But I dont think thats gonna happen with graphics getting better, games aiming for 60 fps, and competitive pricing. The X1X is $500 and still struggles to achieve or lock at 4K in numerous titles. Some titles drop to 1080p simply to target 60 fps.

I have said it tons of time... If the technology doesn't exist on the PC in the mid-range, then it ain't happening on consoles.

Before the Playstation 4 Pro and Xbox One X launched it should have been common knowledge that 4k was not going to be achievable for either platforms as AMD just doesn't have a mid-range GPU that can reliably do it with decent details.

Next gen is still a few years away... And AMD has a couple of new GPU generations to go through, so that may change.

Mr Puggsly said:

I would hope 9th gen could always be above 1080p, even if its 1440p. I mean 4K is becoming more standard so there is more demand for a crisp picture. A good GPU and CPU should make 1440p and 60 fps fairly common with quality visual assets. If that was a goal of developers at least. More games could be 60 fps on consoles if that was a focus.

You're confusing Forza 7 on X1S with X1X. On X1X, Forza 7 has 4K AND improved graphics. DF said its like the PC at highest settings.

I think not hitting 1080P reliably on the Playstation 4 and Xbox One base consoles was obvious when the hardware was revealed... Despite people drooling over the 8Gb of GDDR5 Ram.
The GPU's those consoles were based on were struggling to reliably attain those resolutions with decent framerates... So it was a given that consoles which are derived from that exact same technology would have the same shortfalls.

Next gen though.. All bets are off.
I would be happy to assert that 1080P will be the lowest rendered resolution... Despite not knowing the exact hardware. - As low-end GPU's are getting surprisingly capable at handling 1080P and next-gen will be using GPU hardware orders-of-magnitude better than that.

DonFerrari said:

No developer has ever optimized for all PC's. There is literally zero point. :P

On the point of the size of the ship. Yes it would be big in a single chip, but considering the "butterfly" type of PS4Pro, it would just be the same size of PS4 original, but a little less than twice the thickness.

About the PC, yes I know they don't optimize for PC. But changing the optimization from 2 to 4 platforms (when the change between then will be mostly pixel count, texture, etc... which is already happening right now) isn't really a big issue.

potato_hamster said:
DonFerrari said:

Goal shifting at best

.... I don't think you understand how console optimization works, and how it literally does not occur at all on PC. Game developers do not optimize games for any hardware specifications on PCs, but make their games engines interface into much more bloated APIs instead. There's an entire layer of abstraction that does not exist in console programming that gives PC games their hardware compatibility.

I do know a little... but please explain, and put how it would be impossible to achieve on 4 platforms instead of 2 (curiously we have that now with PS4Pro, X1X, PS4 and X1) even more when they are launched together, with specs that scales from one another and the focus of the change is IQ output.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Kerozinn said:
Mr Puggsly said:

So why is there a market for X1X and PS4 Pro?

Clearly people want higher fidelity in the console arena.

because the consoles we got in 2013 were weak and ran games in sub hd like all the time on xbox and more than often on ps4 . Ppl had 1080p native tvs in their homes and had to play with lower res than their native resolution which is the same shit they had with ps3 and xbox 360.

4K tvs are new and ppl wanna make use of them so thats why they exist. Ppl with 1080p sets buy  pro or xbox x to play at the native tv res with 60 fps locked in BF1 instead of that 35-50 fps mess they get on og or slim ps4/xbox one. And also there is downsampling.

honestly the new consoles are still weak. both run with that old ass jaguar bottlebeck of a cpu in them.

Err... what games ran sup HD on PS4?

Also people want higher fidelity and they don't go to PC because PC doesn't have the games they want. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

ArchangelMadzz said:
Kerozinn said:

because the consoles we got in 2013 were weak and ran games in sub hd like all the time on xbox and more than often on ps4 . Ppl had 1080p native tvs in their homes and had to play with lower res than their native resolution which is the same shit they had with ps3 and xbox 360.

4K tvs are new and ppl wanna make use of them so thats why they exist. Ppl with 1080p sets buy  pro or xbox x to play at the native tv res with 60 fps locked in BF1 instead of that 35-50 fps mess they get on og or slim ps4/xbox one. And also there is downsampling.

honestly the new consoles are still weak. both run with that old ass jaguar bottlebeck of a cpu in them.

Also people want higher fidelity and they don't go to PC because PC doesn't have the games they want. 

I think there is a couple 900p games on PS4. But I don't remember the titles.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

He said more than often.. 

I can only think of Ubisoft games and Battlefields.
http://uk.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

Judging by this list I'm not sure how he got 'more than often' when it's more-so the rarity. 

ArchangelMadzz said:
DonFerrari said:

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

Judging by this list I'm not sure how he got 'more than often' when it's more-so the rarity. 

Now I see what you were pointing... yes it wasn't even something we can easily remember happening.

But pointing very few games had a PS4Pro patch available is true to this day.

DonFerrari said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Now I see what you were pointing... yes it wasn't even something we can easily remember happening.

But pointing very few games had a PS4Pro patch available is true to this day.

Sub HD is lower than 720p. I know XB1 has a couple 640P games which is what I thought he was referring to. So yeah you can see my confusion when he said more often than not PS4 games are lower than HD. Which is incorrect with both definitions of HD.