By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What if the 9th gen launched with Standard and Premium hardware!

Standard and Premium consoles at launch?

Yay! They both play the s... 13 38.24%

Nay! Consoles aren't sup... 21 61.76%

Total:34

I just wanted to reply with another view. Like I said earlier, I think the smart thing to do is launch one single sku, because of production, development, and marketing.

In a perfect world though. I would love to have a whole range of devices launch together and be updated each year. If I could get a PS5 Phone, a PS5 Tablet, a PS5 Console, PS5 VR, and PS5 Car Connect all during the same holiday, I would be all over all of them. I would love to see PS5 come in devices that range between $399.99 to $4,999.99. I payed $3,700 for a Receiver, $10,000 for my TV, $2,000 for speakers, so a $5,000 PS5 that holds its own with the most rediculous Windows machine would be a dream box for me. I would gladly spend $1,100 on a PS5 phone over an iPhone or Android phone any day.

I know that is not a realistic scenario next gen, if ever, but that is what I would love to see. Whatever company can offer me a unified platform with the highet quality Portable, Home, and VR gaming expereinces via a single purchase is where all of my money will go. If they release new revisions every year, I will be right on board to upgrade and pass my previous devices on to others, to share the joy, and expand the userbase.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

I would think two versions would be good. One for 1080p and other for 4k, with 4 times more GPU flops and twice bandwith.

The processor performace would have to be the same tho.

KBG29 said:
I just wanted to reply with another view. Like I said earlier, I think the smart thing to do is launch one single sku, because of production, development, and marketing.

In a perfect world though. I would love to have a whole range of devices launch together and be updated each year. If I could get a PS5 Phone, a PS5 Tablet, a PS5 Console, PS5 VR, and PS5 Car Connect all during the same holiday, I would be all over all of them. I would love to see PS5 come in devices that range between $399.99 to $4,999.99. I payed $3,700 for a Receiver, $10,000 for my TV, $2,000 for speakers, so a $5,000 PS5 that holds its own with the most rediculous Windows machine would be a dream box for me. I would gladly spend $1,100 on a PS5 phone over an iPhone or Android phone any day.

I know that is not a realistic scenario next gen, if ever, but that is what I would love to see. Whatever company can offer me a unified platform with the highet quality Portable, Home, and VR gaming expereinces via a single purchase is where all of my money will go. If they release new revisions every year, I will be right on board to upgrade and pass my previous devices on to others, to share the joy, and expand the userbase.

Very good way to expend money =] I done similar but on the context of my market reality (which would be like 1/2 or 1/3 of what you expended both in USD)

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

KBG29 said:

I 100% agree with you that one SKU is the best way to go, business-wise.  My question is why not just build the most powerful PC you can instead of consoles?  Obviously there are a few exclusive experiences on Sony or Nintendo (not much on Xbox anymore) but you'll never get more power than the most powerful PC you can come up with.

I guess I could understand from the perspective that I don't like tinkering with PCs, but there are places out there that would build it for you.

couchmonkey said:
KBG29 said:

I 100% agree with you that one SKU is the best way to go, business-wise.  My question is why not just build the most powerful PC you can instead of consoles?  Obviously there are a few exclusive experiences on Sony or Nintendo (not much on Xbox anymore) but you'll never get more power than the most powerful PC you can come up with.

I guess I could understand from the perspective that I don't like tinkering with PCs, but there are places out there that would build it for you.

Probably mixture of environment and mostly playing exclusives... that is it for me.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Alby_da_Wolf said: I raise with a Standard, Premium and Hybrid range at launch. Just like the hybrid was the only way for Ninty to recover its sunk home console part of business, it could do the same for Sony portables (PSV after all, despite not being a hybrid, was ALSO a first attempt to bring home console games to portables). At that point MS too would most probably follow suit.

Nintendo's hybrid console works because the capabilities are dated. I mean its a machine that essentially delivers graphics at par with 360 and PS3 with more polish, especially when docked.

I don't see how MS and Sony can offer a hybrid option when they push hardware with greater technical capabilities. Unless cost isn't a concern, I mean the Switch is $299 for much inferior capabilities than the cheaper PS4 and X1.

If you mean the console gaming of the 5th gen and beyond, I'd give PSP credit for that not Vita. I mean it had ambitious games that were acceptable even by home console standards, it even had ports from 6th and 7th gen consoles. Vita is simply the successor of that.

It's just necessarily needed larger RAM that this gen and that portable CPU have significantly higher power than those in 8th gen home consoles. GPU must be a mobile one that be more powerful than 8th gen home consoles ones when docked, but undocked it will run at lower clock, much lower Watts and lower res and FX. Anyway, having to be a portable or mobile GPU with dual speed (or an APU with GPU with such feature), performance leap of the base model wouldn't be huge compared to previous gen. But if Switch will be very successful, this will become very likely. Anyhow, 4x GPU power when docked would already be enough to deliver VR @60fps at the same resolution that a game would run without VR and @30fps on previous gen. 4x GPU power compared to current gen base model home consoles should be easily at reach of mobile GPUs or APUs by 2020, considering the huge leap in computing power and energy efficiency AMD already achieved with its latest architectures. Higher capacity batteries for the same weight as now will help too.
Also, if NS, launched the first quarter of this year, can already reach 720p@60fps when docked, 2x1080p(for VR) or 1x1440p@60fps should be perfectly achievable by docked mobile GPUs more than three years and a half later. Probably docked mobile GPU will be able to deliver 4k too, but 1440p or dual 1080p for VR, and at 60fps, should already be enough for next gen entry level or hybrid models.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

solidpumar said:

I would think two versions would be good. One for 1080p and other for 4k, with 4 times more GPU flops and twice bandwith.

The processor performace would have to be the same tho.

Good idea 😎

Nay. I have a PC for that.

EDIT: Whoa, that's some pretty decent necromancy there.

Last edited by Zkuq - on 14 January 2018