By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What if the 9th gen launched with Standard and Premium hardware!

Standard and Premium consoles at launch?

Yay! They both play the s... 13 38.24%

Nay! Consoles aren't sup... 21 61.76%

Total:34

It would definitely delay me from getting one, as I'd want the premium version, but probably wouldn't have the money.

Around the Network

I think hardware makers know there is a huge double-dip market when they do upgrades. They really don't want to kill sales by getting everything out of the gate at launch. They would essentially remove all of the second sales from premium buyers at no real gain to them. Plus, half of the reason they do the upgrades is because tech become cheaper as the generations wear on.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

As a customer I word rather have an eGPU released some year after launch (mid-cycle), when better technologies are avliable.

Link this one for instance:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1070IXEB-8GD#kf

This way you could keep the OG console and its HDW resources and and just add some extra GPU power and RAM.

DonFerrari said:
VAMatt said:

Agreed.  That would be the best of PC gaming - continuous upgrades, and the best of consoles - plug and play.  That appears to be what the market wants, if my impression (not supported by numbers, since they're not available) of the sales of the mid-gen upgrades is correct.  

Nope, it isn't what the market want... PS4Pro from release is selling 1/5 of the total PS4 sold. So the bargain people are more numerous.

How does that impact this discussion?  Nobody is talking about eliminating lower-priced Hardware.

If you stagger the release won't it increase the likelihood of one consumer purchasing both?

I'm reminded of the iPhone 5S and 5C, and now the 8 and X. If you release them both at the same time I feel like they'd result in lower overall sales spread across two systems. But I can't prove that.

Around the Network
StuOhQ said:
I think hardware makers know there is a huge double-dip market when they do upgrades. They really don't want to kill sales by getting everything out of the gate at launch. They would essentially remove all of the second sales from premium buyers at no real gain to them. Plus, half of the reason they do the upgrades is because tech become cheaper as the generations wear on.

HW makers doesn't make money out of the HW (at least Sony and MS, which are the focus here)

VAMatt said:
DonFerrari said:

Nope, it isn't what the market want... PS4Pro from release is selling 1/5 of the total PS4 sold. So the bargain people are more numerous.

How does that impact this discussion?  Nobody is talking about eliminating lower-priced Hardware.

You said you don't have numbers, I gave then to you. You said market wanted upgrades instead of multi release (for this one you really wouldn't know since no one ever done it, although customer showed to prefer the better HW on PS4 together with the best price, while on previous gen they preferred the lower price). So how does this no impact the discussion?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

bad idea....

the premium versions of these consoles only exist as a mid gen refresh. if you start with this at the start of the gen it would cause confusion.

better to make the best console you can make at $400/$500, then make a refresh 3-4 years later.

vivster said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Depends on how big of an upgrade the Premium would be.

Like I said before, I believe we could have had a Premium console at par with PS4 Pro in 2013 for $499-599. A machine that easily achieves 1080p and more stable performance. While the X1X is better taking advantage of coming years later.

If the 9th gen really wants to really aim for 4K on a regular basis with improved graphics, I think its gonna have be at a premium price like $599. Our current 4K consoles already struggle to hit 4K in many cases.

You will simply not get hardware for $599 that will last for longer than a year. Because a $599 console is when it's released upper midrange at best. What about people who want a $999 machine? What about people who want to buy a $999 machine every year or at least every 2 years to maintain consistent performance at ever improving visuals? Why do we have to limit ourselves to only 2 options in a 5 year cycle? What about 8k gaming? What about above 60fps?

If console manufacturers don't want to give us choice at launch they should at least treat us with continuous updates over time.

New specs every two years probably wouldnt allow for the significant price drops we see over time. Which is crucial to growing the userbase.

I just a bought a PS4 Slim because it was $199. Hence, I think the budget option is important but there should be something better for the audience willing to pay more for better visual fidelity. An aditional $200 makes a massive difference in the GPU and I think its gonna be needed to achieve 4K with ease even in the 9th gen.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Intrinsic said:
bad idea....

the premium versions of these consoles only exist as a mid gen refresh. if you start with this at the start of the gen it would cause confusion.

better to make the best console you can make at $400/$500, then make a refresh 3-4 years later.

I think the Xbox and Playstation audience can wrap their head around the concept of Premium specs.

And the idea is giving the better fidelity to users willing to pay more. Instead of trying to appeal to them 4 years later.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Yeah, great idea. Look at allllllll those third party devs going balls to the wall fully optimizing for the PS4 Pro and Xbox One! .... right guys?

What? Most third party do the bare minimum because supporting these .5 consoles don't actually lead to higher sales?! I'm shocked.

Mid gen updates are bad, and suggesting them at the launch of a generation is even worse. It's hard enough to optimize for a new console, adding multiple specs to support is just going to lead to launch window games being even more poorly optimized than normal.