By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What if the 9th gen launched with Standard and Premium hardware!

Standard and Premium consoles at launch?

Yay! They both play the s... 13 38.24%

Nay! Consoles aren't sup... 21 61.76%

Total:34

The 9th gen already launched and thankfully, didn't bring that trend along. Hopefully when Sony and Microsoft join it, they don't do the same.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
Yeah, great idea. Look at allllllll those third party devs going balls to the wall fully optimizing for the PS4 Pro and Xbox One! .... right guys?

What? Most third party do the bare minimum because supporting these .5 consoles don't actually lead to higher sales?! I'm shocked.

Mid gen updates are bad, and suggesting them at the launch of a generation is even worse. It's hard enough to optimize for a new console, adding multiple specs to support is just going to lead to launch window games being even more poorly optimized than normal.

Still they can launch on hundreds of PC specs.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
potato_hamster said:
Yeah, great idea. Look at allllllll those third party devs going balls to the wall fully optimizing for the PS4 Pro and Xbox One! .... right guys?

What? Most third party do the bare minimum because supporting these .5 consoles don't actually lead to higher sales?! I'm shocked.

Mid gen updates are bad, and suggesting them at the launch of a generation is even worse. It's hard enough to optimize for a new console, adding multiple specs to support is just going to lead to launch window games being even more poorly optimized than normal.

Still they can launch on hundreds of PC specs.

At the cost of optimization. Just look at the quality of gaming experiences we're getting out hardware roughly equivalent to mid-range PCs from 2012 or so. Do you think a game like Horizon is going to run smoothly on a 5 year old mid-range PC? I highly doubt it.

Edit: The PS4's graphics processing is roughly equivalent to a Radeon HD 7850. That doesn't meet the minimum specs of games like the Witcher 3, for example, and that game came out 2.5 years ago. Imagine if the PS5 had a hard time running the latest games just 3-4 years after release.

Last edited by potato_hamster - on 22 November 2017

DonFerrari said:
StuOhQ said:
I think hardware makers know there is a huge double-dip market when they do upgrades. They really don't want to kill sales by getting everything out of the gate at launch. They would essentially remove all of the second sales from premium buyers at no real gain to them. Plus, half of the reason they do the upgrades is because tech become cheaper as the generations wear on.

HW makers doesn't make money out of the HW (at least Sony and MS, which are the focus here)

VAMatt said:

How does that impact this discussion?  Nobody is talking about eliminating lower-priced Hardware.

You said you don't have numbers, I gave then to you. You said market wanted upgrades instead of multi release (for this one you really wouldn't know since no one ever done it, although customer showed to prefer the better HW on PS4 together with the best price, while on previous gen they preferred the lower price). So how does this no impact the discussion?

Sales of the mid-gen upgrades are strong, relative to expectations.  That means that consumers want those items, at least enough to satisfy the hardware companies.  That's basically the definition of demand justifying supply.  

fielding88 said:
If you stagger the release won't it increase the likelihood of one consumer purchasing both?

I'm reminded of the iPhone 5S and 5C, and now the 8 and X. If you release them both at the same time I feel like they'd result in lower overall sales spread across two systems. But I can't prove that.

Well as the price goes down, some will purchase both. Anecdotally I know numerous people that upgraded to the X1S because it was eventually $200-250. But offered no significant improvments.

So if people buy the budget option first, later they may buy the premium model after price cuts.

The phone audience is different and I believe having the latest high end device there is more about being trendy. I feel like the console audience wants real features to justify a premium console purchase.

Which may be why the PS4 Pro hasnt created much excitement, it didnt demonstrate improvments like X1X does.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

I wouldn’t be surprised. If Sony launched a PS5 Pro alongside PS5, that is significantly more powerful at a couple hundred dollars more, I’d most likely buy it. The only downside would be if there were updates to things like HDMI or sound systems after the fact. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

DialgaMarine said:

I wouldn’t be surprised. If Sony launched a PS5 Pro alongside PS5, that is significantly more powerful at a couple hundred dollars more, I’d most likely buy it. The only downside would be if there were updates to things like HDMI or sound systems after the fact. 

I considered things like that. Revisions like the Xbox One S added new features, so that could happen even if standard and premium consoles launch at the same time.

Maybe even a midgen refresh could happen for 8K or something.

As long as the games work on all models with varying graphical settings, I dont think consumers would much care. Upgrading would not be a necessity. I just a PS4S becauuse Pro is not a necessity.

Last edited by Mr Puggsly - on 23 November 2017

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I'd rather have a mid gen premium option, better spec for more reasonable price, technology changes a lot in 3-4 years, if they did base and premium at launch the premium would either be stupidly expensive or not that big of a performance bump.

Or worse, they would hold back spec / performance on the base unit to encourage people to buy the premium, while ripping off anyone that went with the base

And which hardware spec should developers target to optimize for and show off launch titles?

Inititial software sales are already lower on a new platform, and now you want devs to put effort in multiple versions right from the start. Either it's gonna run a bit shit on the base model or the premium model isn't worth the premium price at launch. It invites a wait and see approach for consumers, slowing down initial HW sales.

Offer SKUs with different storage options instead, SSD vs HDD models, or a 4K blu-ray model next to a digital only model and let devs optimize for one HW spec at launch.

No thanks. Ps5 for $400 and 3 years later ps5 pro. Thank you!