By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What if the 9th gen launched with Standard and Premium hardware!

Standard and Premium consoles at launch?

Yay! They both play the s... 13 38.24%

Nay! Consoles aren't sup... 21 61.76%

Total:34

Oh FFS! Don't go giving them ideas.

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
DonFerrari said:

Now I see what you were pointing... yes it wasn't even something we can easily remember happening.

But pointing very few games had a PS4Pro patch available is true to this day.

Sub HD is lower than 720p. I know XB1 has a couple 640P games which is what I thought he was referring to. So yeah you can see my confusion when he said more often than not PS4 games are lower than HD. Which is incorrect with both definitions of HD. 

Yes you are right

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

They wont and shouldn't do this. They can't double dip this way.

You can get 2 sales out of 1 person doing it the way they did it this gen as you get the upgrade buys half way through the gen. Plus the premium console will be more powerful 3 years after launch than the premium one proposed here, so it would completely ruin the point of a hardware refresh AND they'd make less money.

No reason for any logically thinking company to do this.

My response to the poll is neither, this makes no sense for the consumer or manufacturer. 

Why do you think 'Ti' versions of graphics cards always come out after the original. Or the T versions of Oneplus phones, etc etc. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

ArchangelMadzz said:

You can get 2 sales out of 1 person doing it the way they did it this gen as you get the upgrade buys half way through the gen. Plus the premium console will be more powerful 3 years after launch than the premium one proposed here, so it would completely ruin the point of a hardware refresh AND they'd make less money.

My response to the poll is neither, this makes no sense for the consumer or manufacturer. 

Why do you think 'Ti' versions of graphics cards always come out after the original. Or the T versions of Oneplus phones, etc etc. 

Console makers doesn't really want double dips on HW since they don't make profit over it, they want userbase to sell SW. Double dip only helps in getting the second hand on another person hand and he using it to buy SW.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Console makers doesn't really want double dips on HW since they don't make profit over it, they want userbase to sell SW. Double dip only helps in getting the second hand on another person hand and he using it to buy SW.

I'm thinking of Sony and this gen they are making money on HW and Nintendo make money on hardware too (I think?) which is rare of course but 2 console launches in a gen is more profitable than 1. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
DonFerrari said:

I'm thinking of Sony and this gen they are making money on HW and Nintendo make money on hardware too (I think?) which is rare of course but 2 console launches in a gen is more profitable than 1. 

Yes they do... but think about what Kaz said during FY14 and FY15 (they were already marginally profitable), their objective was to accelerate the adoption rate of PS4 so they would cut the price aggressively for it (but I guess they were selling so well and above target that they didn't had the urge to cut much until now).

Mr Puggsly said:

So back in 2013 when the X1 and PS4 launched... but I think we all kind of felt like, "these specs are huge upgrade, but the limitations are already obvious."

Battlefield 4 for example! It struggled to maintain 60 fps and the resolution suffered for trying to achieve 60 fps.

So here's crazy idea. PS5 and Xbox Two(?) may aim for $399. But what if the Standard console was $399 and the Premium was $599 ($699 if they wanna go crazy) with a massive GPU upgrade, maybe more RAM for better textures, and MAYBE a faster CPU! As some might know there is a big difference between a $199 GPU vs a $399 GPU.

Essentially both would play the same games, both would go down in price over time, and those who want higher fidelity visuals than a $399 console can offer will have it at launch.

Quite frankly, if the X1X and PS4 Pro struggle to hit 4K then I don't have much hope for the upcoming 9th gen consoles to always hit 4K at $399.

However, I don't want a huge CPU disparity in Standard and Premium consoles because some developers might not optimize properly for the slower CPU. Hence, both need good CPUs.

So yay, nay!? How do we feel about this?

EDIT: NO SWITCH IN THIS DISCUSSION! IT DON'T COUNT IN MY WORLD!

I raise with a Standard, Premium and Hybrid range at launch. Just like the hybrid was the only way for Ninty to recover its sunk home console part of business, it could do the same for Sony portables (PSV after all, despite not being a hybrid, was ALSO a first attempt to bring home console games to portables). At that point MS too would most probably follow suit.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said: I raise with a Standard, Premium and Hybrid range at launch. Just like the hybrid was the only way for Ninty to recover its sunk home console part of business, it could do the same for Sony portables (PSV after all, despite not being a hybrid, was ALSO a first attempt to bring home console games to portables). At that point MS too would most probably follow suit.

Nintendo's hybrid console works because the capabilities are dated. I mean its a machine that essentially delivers graphics at par with 360 and PS3 with more polish, especially when docked.

I don't see how MS and Sony can offer a hybrid option when they push hardware with greater technical capabilities. Unless cost isn't a concern, I mean the Switch is $299 for much inferior capabilities than the cheaper PS4 and X1.

If you mean the console gaming of the 5th gen and beyond, I'd give PSP credit for that not Vita. I mean it had ambitious games that were acceptable even by home console standards, it even had ports from 6th and 7th gen consoles. Vita is simply the successor of that.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Alby_da_Wolf said: I raise with a Standard, Premium and Hybrid range at launch. Just like the hybrid was the only way for Ninty to recover its sunk home console part of business, it could do the same for Sony portables (PSV after all, despite not being a hybrid, was ALSO a first attempt to bring home console games to portables). At that point MS too would most probably follow suit.

Nintendo's hybrid console works because the capabilities are dated. I mean its a machine that essentially delivers graphics at par with 360 and PS3 with more polish, especially when docked.

I don't see how MS and Sony can offer a hybrid option when they push hardware with greater technical capabilities. Unless cost isn't a concern, I mean the Switch is $299 for much inferior capabilities than the cheaper PS4 and X1.

If you mean the console gaming of the 5th gen and beyond, I'd give PSP credit for that not Vita. I mean it had ambitious games that were acceptable even by home console standards, it even had ports from 6th and 7th gen consoles. Vita is simply the successor of that.

Unnaceptable... only Switch have console level games portably, because I can say it is a table console if I leave it on the dock.

that is basically what happened this generation it just came out a few years later, also allowing the standard versions to be around $200 as well.