By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 VS Switch lifetime sales, which console will sell the most?

What do you expect?

NSW will win by a huge margin 53 16.06%

NSW will win by a small margin 75 22.73%

PS4 will win by a small margin 75 22.73%

PS4 will win by a huge margin 117 35.45%

Sorry, no troll XB1 option. :P Oh wait... 10 3.03%

Total:330
DonFerrari said:

Miyamotoo said: 

Lol, coming from man that refuse evre posibilete for things that are not even ofical and talking like evrething is set in stone. :D    Just for record, Nintendo never didnt said they couldn't produce more than 2m for Switch launch, just that initial plan was to prepare 2m for launch and that they later had problem to incrase taht nubmer. And yes, they could work to prepare more units for launch if launch was during holiday season if that was plan from start, but we know from start that plan for Switch launch in march was to ship 2m units.

Like usualy you missing point, and point is simple Nintendo would aim to prepare more units for launch if launch is during holiday season, they from start were preparing only 2m consoles for Switch launch because they launch console in March not during Holiday season, but problem was that console were selling better than they thought and soon they had stock problems.

Yes I'll deny any possibility of a company throwing away money for no good reason. For they to have 4M available at launch they would have to postpone launch for some months and incur in unecessary cost. And again as Intrisic have put no company have done this, but for some reason Nintendo that couldn't produce enough to meet demand because of part constraint would do it just to win your argument.

I gave you good and logical possibilities why that maybe would make sense, and why thats not throwing away money, you ignoried all that and you were acting like evrething was set in stone, lol. Again, you dont know that, if plan from start would be holiday season launch and around 4m prepared consoles from launch. Again, Nintendo never didnt said they couldn't produce more than 2m for Switch launch, just that initial plan was to prepare 2m for launch and that they later had problem to increase that number, but if initial plan was to have bigger number stock for launch they could probably prepare more. Stock problem after launch is different thing, because maybe they had plan  to produce around 500k per month and they needed much more than that beacuse console was selling better than 500k and and factories couldn't start producing much more than that so soon.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Mnementh said:

Thanks alot for this. Data always beats assumptions. According to this we could expect that launching in the holidays might give a boost of 5-10% of the sales of the first half year - at least in Japan.

To the people claiming this can't be because supply constraints dominating sales: Supply is dependent on how much the company produces. The underlying assumption in your argument is, that this number is constant. But while there is no infinite production capacity, the production is strongly dependent on how much the console cpmpany orders from manufacturers like Foxconn, Pegatron and the like. So, they look at preorders, market research and some common sense and make educated guesses how much they do order. So in the holidays their research indicates higher demand, so they probably supply more units. This explains the data Shadow compiled.

Yes. And is that valid for products that even after reading demand they fail to meet for 2 years?

Dunno what was the case with Wii. Nintendo was probably overly conservative and didn't wanted any stock staying in storerooms. Well, they had plenty of units in storage with the WiiU.

But the Wii is the outlier here. Which other console had supply constraints over an extended period of time globally? Look, the Switch goes well, but is by now long available in most parts of the world. Dunno if Japan is still supply constrained, but maybe they still can't access supply correctly there or demand is increasing in the time they ramp up production and so invalidating the earlier research. But in the US or europe Nintendo meets demand. Same for PS4, it was not for long supply constrained.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes I'll deny any possibility of a company throwing away money for no good reason. For they to have 4M available at launch they would have to postpone launch for some months and incur in unecessary cost. And again as Intrisic have put no company have done this, but for some reason Nintendo that couldn't produce enough to meet demand because of part constraint would do it just to win your argument.

I gave you good and logical possibilities why that maybe would make sense, and why thats not throwing away money, you ignoried all that and you were acting like evrething was set in stone, lol. Again, you dont know that, if plan from start would be holiday season launch and around 4m prepared consoles from launch. Again, Nintendo never didnt said they couldn't produce more than 2m for Switch launch, just that initial plan was to prepare 2m for launch and that they later had problem to increase that number, but if initial plan was to have bigger number stock for launch they could probably prepare more. Stock problem after launch is different thing, because maybe they had plan  to produce around 500k per month and they needed much more than that beacuse console was selling better than 500k and and factories couldn't start producing much more than that so soon.

Nope man, the fact that I don't consider they valid doesn't mean I ignored, it means it isn't enough reason to justify the cost. If they are doing a full year run to sell 25M, there is very little reason to not be able to adjust production to end up overproducing 5M and shipping that on the next quarter. Because first they would be producing their regular amount, second there would be the already shipped amount, third the FYQ1 would be a slower month so that 5M would be sitting on Nintendo shelves for over 1 quarter just to use your supposed bargain.

They never said they couldn't produce more than 2m... but after launch they showed they couldn't by not being able to have steady production at all to meet your supposed production level.

If you produce 500k/month you would need to stock for 8 months (instead of 4 months) prior to launch, go again and do the maths on the cost of having all that sitting on shelves (8 months at an average 2M consoles stored at 299 USD value... that is 600M dollars on 8 months, that would have a financial cost of some dozen million).

Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes. And is that valid for products that even after reading demand they fail to meet for 2 years?

Dunno what was the case with Wii. Nintendo was probably overly conservative and didn't wanted any stock staying in storerooms. Well, they had plenty of units in storage with the WiiU.

But the Wii is the outlier here. Which other console had supply constraints over an extended period of time globally? Look, the Switch goes well, but is by now long available in most parts of the world. Dunno if Japan is still supply constrained, but maybe they still can't access supply correctly there or demand is increasing in the time they ramp up production and so invalidating the earlier research. But in the US or europe Nintendo meets demand. Same for PS4, it was not for long supply constrained.

Well, I can understand being conservative even with preorders on launch, but shortages for 2 years straight can't be only being conservative.

For Switch it took 8 months(?) to get to attend demand and for PS4 about 4 months. So we can't really be confident of how much the impact of a different launch window would be.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Mnementh said:

Well, I can understand being conservative even with preorders on launch, but shortages for 2 years straight can't be only being conservative.

For Switch it took 8 months(?) to get to attend demand and for PS4 about 4 months. So we can't really be confident of how much the impact of a different launch window would be.

The months are about right. You need months to get a contract with a manufacturer, get the supply chain running, get the quality in order and so on. Then you have shipping, that probably takes around a month. So between the decision in Sony or Nintendo headquarter: 'we need more units' and more units hitting the market I would guess 3-6 months. And it's still a guessing game, you have to guess right how much more demand you have to meet, otherwise you sit on unsold inventory and that costs too.

As I said Wii was an outlier. What happened there, your guess is as good as mine. But what we see from PS4 and Switch is what to expect from successful consoles.

But back to the argument that holidays have no impact at sales at launch because of supply constraints: that assumes fixed production capacities. That would mean thought through, that if demand is lower than workers at Sony or Nintendo sit around, as they have nothing to do. Obviously production capacity can be scaled to demand, as it is given to outside companies doing that stuff. So supply constraints are mainly a wrong guess about the demand.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Shadow1980 said:
quickrick said:

OMG the stupid holiday excuse ps4 was sold within 24 hours in north america, the holiday didnt help it, because it had no stock. just like the wii, just like the 360. people forget that these consoles with out the holidays would sell 1.5 million in 2 months just based on launch demand.  example if super nes classic launched during the holidays, it would have made 0 difference, because it sold out right away.

Intrinsic said:

And thats the thing about all this that irritates me. But I see people have it stuck in their heads.

In its first 4 months on the market the NS sold/shipped (conflicting info) 4.7M consoles. And through that period it was supply constrained. So even if it released in November it simply wouldn't have been able to make enough consoles to meet demand. Launch consoles have a way of selling out.

In the first 2 and a half months on the market the PS4 sold 4.1/4.3M (can't remember). And it too was supply constrained. Hell, in its first two weks it sold 2.1M consoles. Then absolutely nothing for the week after that. No stock.

So i really don't get the whole holiday argument. Its not like there is an infinite amount of stock available.

Oh and then there is this.... as of October Nintendo has plans to ramp up production of the switch to 2M per month. Lets say they even really push it and can manage 2.5M/month for November and December. Will that be enough to meet demand? Absolutely not. They will sell out in minutes. To put things into pespective over the same  period last year the PS4 sold around 8M consoles. And this year its tracking better than last year.

If we're going to be comparing early sales, release timing must be taken inrepresent a larger share of early-life sales:

On average, Week 1 represented 52% of sales in the first five weeks for the Q1 releases, while for holiday releases that number drops to 35%. This continues to hold true even if we extend that range of weeks:

That's an average Week 1 share of 41% for Q1 releases but only 26% for holiday releases. Let's extend it all the way to 26 weeks, giving us half a year of sales:

And we see an average share of 22.7% for Q1 releases but only 16.8% for holiday releases. We start to see significant outliers in this ten-system sample at this point: the PS4 and Wii U. Both were systems that had reasonably good launch weeks but had dreadful baseline sales early on, which incidentally were roughly equal to each other, as we see in this comparison of sales for the first 39 weeks/9 months:

But those first five weeks favored the Wii U, because it was a holiday launch while the PS4 was released in February. That resulted in the PS4 running at a somewhat semi-stable deficit for a while, taking over a year for it to start to fully reverse the trend, close the gap, and surpass the Wii U in LTD sales:

Of course, this is just Japan. I started with them because their sales trackers track sales on a weekly basis. NPD only tracks sales on a monthly basis. However, an examination of NPD data heavily suggests similar trends. While systems are more likely to release in Q4 in North America, we still have several major systems released in the past 20 years that launched before Q4: the Dreamcast, GBA, PSP, 3DS, and Switch. Whenever a system releases prior to October, it always exhibits a pronounced drop in its second month. This does not really happen with Q4 launches. The largest November-to-December drop proportionally of any November launch system was the PS4, which saw a 24.3% drop, yet even that wasn't enough to keep it from having the second-largest first December of any Q4 launch system (the XBO edges it out), and the PS4's first December was over 3.18 times larger than the January following it. Now it is true that all three home consoles released last gen were November launches and had weak launches relative to their baseline levels thanks to supply constraints (and high price in the PS3's case), but they nevertheless did not see any big drops in December; had they had sufficient supply to meet demand, their launches would have been much better, but we probably wouldn't have seen dramatic improvements to sales in their first full calendar year (well, except maybe the Wii).

Meanwhile, the smallest drop any of the listed pre-Q4 systems saw in its second month was the PSP, which saw a 43.4% drop from its launch month to its second month. Every other system saw sales drop by more than half in their second month. Here's every launch month to second month drop for Gen 6-8 systems launched prior to Q4:

DC: -70%
GBA: -58.6%
PSP: -43.4%
3DS: -51.3%
NS: -69.2%

This indicates that, like in Japan, systems launched prior to Q4 exhibit a rapid decline towards baseline sales as they lack anything in the weeks following launch to sustain sales above baseline levels, while systems released during the holiday season continue to benefit from the holiday sales sales period in the weeks between launch and Christmas week.

TL;DR: Launching during the holidays does have a clear, demonstrable effect on sales, with an obvious causal mechanism in play. This tends to favor Q4 launches when comparing LTD sales, at least for early-life sales (the effect does of course wear off over time).

I was only comparing NPD data because thats the thats where have sold numbers, but you can compare earnings report for the launches of 360, wii, and ps4 during the holidays, and on there second holidays they sale 2x-3 or, and thats with out launch boost as well. 

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said: 

TL;DR: Launching during the holidays does have a clear, demonstrable effect on sales, with an obvious causal mechanism in play. This tends to favor Q4 launches when comparing LTD sales, at least for early-life sales (the effect does of course wear off over time).

Come on man.... I expected more from you to be honest.

Your points are totally accurate. And I agree with you. But you left out one very crucial detail.

I am in agreement that holiday sales are always better. Theer is no doubt about that. I am NOT in agreement that launching during holidays is what makes anything better. Holiday sales will be holiday sales. One or even two years after launch in the hardware is doing well in general. Proof? Every console sells more during the holidays than they do for most months of the respective year combined. 

What you lft out is what I think is the most important thing. Availability of stock.

It doesn't matter if you can sell 4, 5 or 6M consoles if you can only get 2M to market. And that is the point I have been trying to make.

Everything you or anyone that is of a similar notion is saying would make sense if in april we were seeing NS consoles everywhere. Then we could say that its what they get for releasing in march. The launched in march. Sold out completely of their available stock. Released new stock, sold out again, and again, and again..... so what exactly are we saying?

Ok.... how about this...... the NS would have sold much more if they launched in the holidays. Unfortunately they still would have only had 2M units for that period. See how that works?

Mind you.... it took the NS over 6 months to reach a point where they could meet that demand or at least now we can just walk into a store and see one. To put that in perspective, say it launched in november last year. It means that with how much stock they were able to provide, it still would have taken them till april to satiate the demand and get this... they would have still sold the exact same number of consoles they sold in that 6 month period cause they were selling everything they were making.

Mnementh said:

Thanks alot for this. Data always beats assumptions. According to this we could expect that launching in the holidays might give a boost of 5-10% of the sales of the first half year - at least in Japan.

To the people claiming this can't be because supply constraints dominating sales: Supply is dependent on how much the company produces. The underlying assumption in your argument is, that this number is constant. But while there is no infinite production capacity, the production is strongly dependent on how much the console cpmpany orders from manufacturers like Foxconn, Pegatron and the like. So, they look at preorders, market research and some common sense and make educated guesses how much they do order. So in the holidays their research indicates higher demand, so they probably supply more units. This explains the data Shadow compiled.

NO...... I don't believe whats happenning here. 

A lot of things go into releasing new hardware. They even avoid flooding the market with like 6M consoles just in case theer is some sort of manufacturing defect. The sometimes don't even start making the consoles en masse till like 2 months before the announced launch date. There are components that may need to go into the console that aren't in as much stock as the other components. 

Ok...... if sony plans on launching say in november and they announce this in say june. Between june and november they could rack up around 1.5M pre-orders globally. They still have to ship out more than that to provide for those walking into a store and buying the console. But somehow, they only manage to ship 2.5M units. Everything sells out in less than a week. Zero stock available for another week or two. Releasing in november has done shit all for them. They simply didn't have the stock.

And you are the one assuming her. Fact is this, nintendo opened their launch with 2M. Thats a fact. It just happened like in march this year. They only put into motion a production ramp up in october this year. 6 months after their launch. During alll that time, they literally couldn't make the switch fast enough. This is a fact. If ramping up manufacturing is as easy as you make it sound then they should have done it n month 3 at least. 

I asked and no one seems to have answered. Can anyone show me over the last 30 years any console that had 4M units shipped in its launch week? This is not an assumption, its just fact. If no one can find such a console, can they tell me why they thin that is? The manufacturer just didn't want to sell units? 

DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

Nope man, the fact that I don't consider they valid doesn't mean I ignored, it means it isn't enough reason to justify the cost. If they are doing a full year run to sell 25M, there is very little reason to not be able to adjust production to end up overproducing 5M and shipping that on the next quarter. Because first they would be producing their regular amount, second there would be the already shipped amount, third the FYQ1 would be a slower month so that 5M would be sitting on Nintendo shelves for over 1 quarter just to use your supposed bargain.

They never said they couldn't produce more than 2m... but after launch they showed they couldn't by not being able to have steady production at all to meet your supposed production level.

If you produce 500k/month you would need to stock for 8 months (instead of 4 months) prior to launch, go again and do the maths on the cost of having all that sitting on shelves (8 months at an average 2M consoles stored at 299 USD value... that is 600M dollars on 8 months, that would have a financial cost of some dozen million).

No, I gave you good and logical possibilities why that maybe would make sense, and why thats not throwing away money, you ignored all that and you were acting like everything was set in stone. It's pointless to reply any more on this matter.

Again, initial stock plan for launch, and increasing production after launch are two totally different things.

I used that number like example production after launch where they selling everything they ship and they need higher production, not before launch.

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

you reaally don'yt know how console launches work do you?

ok, indulge me.... if nintendo just decided to prepare only 2M for launch even if they could have made double that..... why didn't they ramp up production anytime during the next 6 months after launch when the console was still in short supply?

And you do know that none of these companies are ever in a position to start manufacturing months ahead of time and just stockpiling the hardware right? It just doesn't work that way. Think of it this way, these things are "stored" when they are on the sea making their trip from factory to retailer. 

even the wiiU, the console nintendo released after its best selling home console ever..... nintendo only planned to ship 5.5M consoles between november 2012 and march 2013. And here is the really cool part. The NS sold 5M consoles in a little over 4 months. Thats almost as much as what nintendo planned to ship with teh wii U in 6 months.

Last edited by Intrinsic - on 16 November 2017

Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

The months are about right. You need months to get a contract with a manufacturer, get the supply chain running, get the quality in order and so on. Then you have shipping, that probably takes around a month. So between the decision in Sony or Nintendo headquarter: 'we need more units' and more units hitting the market I would guess 3-6 months. And it's still a guessing game, you have to guess right how much more demand you have to meet, otherwise you sit on unsold inventory and that costs too.

As I said Wii was an outlier. What happened there, your guess is as good as mine. But what we see from PS4 and Switch is what to expect from successful consoles.

But back to the argument that holidays have no impact at sales at launch because of supply constraints: that assumes fixed production capacities. That would mean thought through, that if demand is lower than workers at Sony or Nintendo sit around, as they have nothing to do. Obviously production capacity can be scaled to demand, as it is given to outside companies doing that stuff. So supply constraints are mainly a wrong guess about the demand.

Yep you are right on your assumptions imho. What we do know is that Sony got to meet their demand faster than Nintendo, but we don't really know if that was because Nintendo had a harder time rumping up Switch or if Sony read better the demand. But I agree with you that between the 1-2 months on shipping channels, new contracts, preparation and all 3-6 months to totally answer a shortage.

We weren't saying holiday doesn't impact demand (we know it does) nor that launching in a holiday wouldn't (it could). The point was just that if the console was sold out out of holiday launch there isn't much impact on sales that launching on holiday would cause because there would be no extra supply (even more when we had all those reports of lack of parts for Switch).

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

No, I gave you good and logical possibilities why that maybe would make sense, and why thats not throwing away money, you ignored all that and you were acting like everything was set in stone. It's pointless to reply any more on this matter.

Again, initial stock plan for launch, and increasing production after launch are two totally different things.

I used that number like example production after launch where they selling everything they ship and they need higher production, not before launch.

Man, you think you gave good possibilities. You thinking it is a good reason doesn't make it a good reason. Those you gave would surpass a 5M storing cost.

Yes preparing and after launch are different, with before launch usually being even slower than after launch. But you are yet to explain how would Nintendo suddenly be able to make 4M consoles when they couldn't make 2M (that sold out instantly) and took 8 months to improve production. Also you won't be able to explain why hold 8 months to a launch to have that many consoles.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."