Single Joy-Con 1 0.56%

Dual Joy-Cons no grip 34 18.89%

Dual Joy-Cons with group 27 15.00%

Pro Controller 99 55.00%

Gamecube Controller 15 8.33%

USB / Other Controller 4 2.22%

Total:180
mZuzek said:

All of this isn't an issue if you use stick controls, of course. But if you use stick controls then you've got an even bigger concern.

Which is what?

Around the Network

I actually mostly play in handheld mode, mainly because I like sitting in the guest room or my bedroom when I play (The dock is in the family room)

However, when I'm doing TV mode I definitely prefer the pro controller. Sometimes though I will prefer to use the joycons separated. Really just depends on my mood, but I'm very excited to be getting the Xenoblade pro controller when it comes out. :D

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Split joycons all the way.

I love being able to hold my hands further apart, it allows for more relaxed and comfortable arm positions.

Pavolink said:
Pro controller, except for the d-pad

What's wrong with the d-pad?

EDIT: You mean this? http://www.ateijelo.com/blog/2017/07/12/effective-fix-switch-pro-controller-dpad-issues

Last edited by TomaTito - on 27 October 2017

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

TomaTito said:
Pavolink said:
Pro controller, except for the d-pad

What's wrong with the d-pad?

EDIT: You mean this? http://www.ateijelo.com/blog/2017/07/12/effective-fix-switch-pro-controller-dpad-issues

Even beyond that defect, I would put the Wii U D-pad above it. It's a tad bigger (I think), softer and smoother making it more comfortable and satisfying to use imo, but the Switch D-pad is still solid.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Jranation said:

When they checked up on my ears xD 

Why? Whats wrong with playing like that. I know it was weird at the start but I got sooo comfortable with it. 

Nah, don't get me wrong. There's absolutely nothing wrong with playing in handheld mode, except, you know... everything. Especially in Splatoon - other games I can understand, but seriously Splatoon? Like, dude. How do you even do that? When I played through the campaign (all of it in handheld mode, because I was at a friend's with other people and no one wanted spoilers) it was so jarring and downright impossible to play like that I ended up just doing tabletop mode all the time even when it shouldn't be possible - like, stacking up boxes and stuff just to get the console on a decent position so I could play with decent controls.

I mean, it's not just a taste thing. Splatoon on handheld mode is objectively crappy, because it only lets you tilt the console so much upwards before it stops resetting the camera proper - and the height it was set for is the height you'd normally use any controller (without a screen) on, so that means you're the one who needs to look down at the game instead of the game's camera being adjustable for your needs. In other words, playing on the bed is pretty much impossible.

All of this isn't an issue if you use stick controls, of course. But if you use stick controls then you've got an even bigger concern.

I fixed that by only doing half Gyro / half stick controls. I only slightly move it up, left, right and down with gyro. Then I use the stick for left and right. 

I can take a screenshot of my rankings on rank mode in playing this way xD 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

mZuzek said:
Jranation said:

I fixed that by only doing half Gyro / half stick controls. I only slightly move it up, left, right and down with gyro. Then I use the stick for left and right. 

I can take a screenshot of my rankings on rank mode in playing this way xD 

Yes, that's how you're supposed to play.

What I'm talking about is, if you're playing while lying in bed, for example, you're holding the Switch upwards, so the camera moves up too. Since you don't want to play looking at the sky at all times, obviously you press Y to reset the camera, and... nothing happens. You're still looking at the sky, because for some reason it only resets the camera horizontally after you tilt it so much. This has something to do with how the game was originally never programmed to be played like that (you'd never hold the Gamepad upwards on the Wii U), I guess, and it's a pretty big issue in handheld mode. Even holding the Switch in front of me while sitting down was a little bit off, I had to constantly look down at it.

...well. Unless, they fixed that in an update or something. I wouldn't know, because I only played at launch.

Oh what. That never happened to me

When I press Y the camera resets to the character looking straight ahead (not to the sky or on the ground). 

But next time I'll play I'll try it to exactly as how you describe it. But I had no issues in playing handheld mode. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Your options are missing the best option.

Dual joycons attached to the console. Seriously, I pretty much only play like that. I haven't docked the console for any reason other than charging in many, many months.

superchunk said:

Dual joycons attached to the console. Seriously, I pretty much only play like that. I haven't docked the console for any reason other than charging in many, many months.

It's true, I did forget that option.

So when you have the option to play Switch on your TV, you'd still prefer to play it undocked?

While I think undocked is nice and convenient, whenever I have the option I'll definitely use my TV. I feel most games run a bit better when docked.

Thechalkblock said:
superchunk said:

It's true, I did forget that option.

So when you have the option to play Switch on your TV, you'd still prefer to play it undocked?

While I think undocked is nice and convenient, whenever I have the option I'll definitely use my TV. I feel most games run a bit better when docked.

Absolutely. It's pretty much the only way I play. It was also how I played WiiU. I stopped using the TV.

I haven't really noticed any difference in gameplay and I could care less if it is 720 vs 1080, etc.

Now, if I was playing a multiplayer game that was on same console, then of course on a TV would be a way to go. But, I'm usually solo gaming or online multi, which is all perfect undocked.