By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo wants more "mature" content on the switch

TheWPCTraveler said:  isn't this the same reasoning for people dissing the Vita?

There's truth in that, by it's slightly different. People can pick both PS4 & PSV versions to be able to play and get trophies anywhere, while still having the best version on big screen. 

Around the Network

Got to lead from the front Nintendo.

I believe I've read identical statements like these from Nintendo since Gamecube.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I think a lot of devs are going to be looking at how well Skyrim and Doom sell to assess whether they should invest in bringing mature titles to Switch.

curl-6 said:

I think a lot of devs are going to be looking at how well Skyrim and Doom sell to assess whether they should invest in bringing mature titles to Switch.

This scares me.

burninmylight said:
curl-6 said:

This scares me.

If you're worried, you could always do your bit and vote with your wallet. :P

Around the Network

Number of nintendo fans in this thread excited at the possibility of mature games being ported to switch: lots
Number of Sony/Microsoft fans in this thread excited at the possibility of switching their main console to the switch: none.

Nintendo, do it for your fanbase, don't do it trying to take a bite out of other pies, just make your own pie more delicious for your current customers.

Wall Street Journal said this? The same people who fabricated the rumor that Nintendo is planning to ship 20 million Switch units this fiscal year?

Good move. They earned the family friendly rep and it's going to be theirs for awhile to come no matter what. Good to get broad appeal and still keep the family image.

Seventizz said:
KLXVER said:

So Nintendo HAS to make the games and not ever ask third party companies for their help? 

No, it's Nintendo's responsibility to sell their console.  Why would I as a third party invest my money into making a title within a genre Nintendo doesn't invest in?  Sounds like a risky gamble to me.

To create an audience.

wombat123 said:
Finale said:
So,what about a eternal darkness sequel then?

Nintendo is trying to show that M-Rated titles can sell well on the Switch.  Making a sequel to a niche horror game isn't going to help their argument.

If Nintendo was to show that M-Rated titles can succeed, it's on them to develop, market, and publish a slew of M-Rated titles. Mario and Zelda, are fantastic,

(played a little of BOTW and it's amazing and Odyssey is looking killer), but they don't seed a market for Grand Theft Auto, and Call of Duty. We saw what happened with the WiiU. It just doesn't work.

GoOnKid said:
Seventizz said:

No, it's Nintendo's responsibility to sell their console.  Why would I as a third party invest my money into making a title within a genre Nintendo doesn't invest in?  Sounds like a risky gamble to me.

To create an audience.

That's not how to make an audience on a fledgling platform. Third party developers and publishers are in the business of exploiting audiences, not creating them. They see poor sales, and then they pull out. If Nintendo did the same (make M-rated games in genres that gamers want, like shooters), they would probably see poor sales too. The difference is perspective: Nintendo sees an audience growing, and third party developers will see it as an unwise investment, compared to spending the same amount of money on PS4/XB1/PC titles. If Nintendo intends to break ground, they need a big  M-rated flagship title with that usual Nintendo polish. If Nintendo fails to lead the way, M-Rated games on Switch could go the same route Wii U did

TL;DR It's up to Nintendo to make an audience. If initial sales of big M-rated ports do poorly, M-Rated games on Nintendo consoles goes the way of Wii U

Currently (Re-)Playing: Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void Multiplayer, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Currently Watching: The Shield, Stein's;Gate, Narcos