By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo wants more "mature" content on the switch

curl-6 said:
freebs2 said:

The PS4 is lacking some kinds of game experiences too, like RTS games, proper MMOs and MOBAs but I haven't see people lamenting about a hole in the library, and that's simply because the people who bought the Ps4 weren't looking into those kind of experiences (despite being very popular on other platforms). Building a robust library that values the strenghts of the console and define its identity is top priority. Patching holes of missing genres of playstyles comes way later.

Also, do you think a game like The Last Of Us would work well on the Switch? I don't, the game was designed to showcase the best state-of-the graphical capabilities while providing immersion and storytelling. This is an area where all the Switch shortcomings are put into evidence (lower graphical power) while all the streghts (portability, accessibility, local multiplayer) are irrelevant. It's basically like the rowing world champion doing a 100m run challange with Usain Bolt, it's a task set to fail from the beginning.

btw. This is also one of the main reasons imo why the PS Vita failed, beacuse Sony wanted to push Last Of Us-like experiences on a platform that obviously wasn't suited for that.

(1) PS4 has a much more diverse library than Switch though; missing MMOs and MOBAs (genres that aren't really popular in the console space) isn't such a big deal compared to missing pretty much any content at all rated higher than PG, which as the sales charts attest, accounts for a huge proportion of what is popular in gaming today. Nobody benefits from Switch lacking these games; not Nintendo, not third parties, not gamers.

(2) TLOU was never state of the art, when it came out in 2013 PS3 was ancient hardware, and its PS4 port wasn't technically high end even by the standards of the platform's early days. You don't need high end tech to create adult experiences. Even the Wii had a number of successful titles aimed at adults.

(3) And Vita's failure has nothing to do with offering M-rated experiences. It has to do with a lot of things, from a lack of killer apps to overpriced memory cards, but not that.

(1) MMOs and MOBAs are really popular generas, they aren't very much played them on consoles becuase no one tried to push them. Guiltlessly I would say, they had different priorities. Also I'm not saying the fact the Switch is lacking certain genras is a benefit anyone, it's just that since you suggested Nintendo 1st party should spend their resources to "cover the holes", my argument is that they should take a different approach. Instead of looking at what's popular on other consoles and copy it, they should use an incremental strategy.

• See what kind of game experiences are already popular on the platform.
  • Expore adjacent game experiences, focus on genras and playstyles that are different but close in some aspects to what customers already like on the platform.
  • Focus on rendering adjacent game experiences popular and once those are established move to the next adjacency.
  • Repeat the process for some and you'll have a diverse library that at same time refects your initial strenghts and identity.

(2) I'm not even a fan of TLOU, in fact I believe it's vastly overrated as a game, but on the technical side it's not state of art I can't really tell what state of the art is. It's probably the best looking game of 2013 despite the fact it run on a 7 years old hardware (although at the time there weren't techically superior consoles on the market). 

And Yes, you need high-tech hardware to make a game like TLOU, you'll need a machine capable of rendering realistic faces, characters and enviroments, use a less powerfull hardware and the game will look old form the beginning. It's interesting you mention m-rated Wii games since, as far as I remember every M-rated game on Wii bombed or had lackluster results at best, even the DS had a couple of high-quality m-rated games, most notably GTA: CW and despite very good reviews, the immense popularity of the series and the vast user base it bombed.

(3) You're confusing M-rated for a genre or a playstyle. Mortal Kombat is an M-rated game but imo it can work well on a handheld. TLOU is a linear action game with an high enphasis on narrative and presentation, these are the kind of experiences that Sony wanted to push on the system but couldn't work on an handheld, because they don't play accordingly to the system's strenghts. You mention lack of killer apps, but Vita had games like Killzone and Uncharted, those games were killer apps on the Ps3 but didn't work on handheld space.

Around the Network
freebs2 said:
curl-6 said:

(1) PS4 has a much more diverse library than Switch though; missing MMOs and MOBAs (genres that aren't really popular in the console space) isn't such a big deal compared to missing pretty much any content at all rated higher than PG, which as the sales charts attest, accounts for a huge proportion of what is popular in gaming today. Nobody benefits from Switch lacking these games; not Nintendo, not third parties, not gamers.

(2) TLOU was never state of the art, when it came out in 2013 PS3 was ancient hardware, and its PS4 port wasn't technically high end even by the standards of the platform's early days. You don't need high end tech to create adult experiences. Even the Wii had a number of successful titles aimed at adults.

(3) And Vita's failure has nothing to do with offering M-rated experiences. It has to do with a lot of things, from a lack of killer apps to overpriced memory cards, but not that.

(1) MMOs and MOBAs are really popular generas, they aren't very much played them on consoles becuase no one tried to push them on console. Guiltlessly I would say, they had different priorities. Also I'm not saying the fact the Switch is lacking in certain genras is benefitting anyone, it's just that since you suggested Nintendo 1st party should spend their resources to "cover the holes" and my argument is that they should take a different approach. Instead of looking at what's popular on other consoles and copy it, they should use an incremental strategy.

• See what kind of game experiences are already popular on the platform
  • Expore adjacent game experiences, focus on genras and playstyles that are different but close in some aspects to what customers already like on the platform.
  • Focus on making adjacent game experiences popular and once those are established move to the next adjacency.
  • Repeat the process for some and you'll have a diverse library that at same time refects yout initial strenghts and identity.

(2) I'm not even a fan of TLOU, in fact I believe it's vastly overrated as a game, but on the technical side it's not state of art I can't really tell what state of the art is. It's probably the best looking game of 2013 despite the fact it run on a 7 years old hardware (although at the time there weren't techically superior consoles on the market). 

And Yes, you need high-tech hardware to make a game like TLOU, you'll need a machine capable of rendering realistic faces, characters and enviroments, use a less powerfull hardware and the game will look old form the beginning. It's interesting you mention m-rated Wii games since, as far as I remember every M-rated game on Wii bombed or had lackluster results at best, even the DS had a couple of high-quality m-rated games, most notably GTA: CW and despite very good reviews, the immense popularity of the series and the vast user base it bombed.

(3) You're confusing M-rated for a genre or a playstyle. Mortal Kombat is an M-rated game but imo it can work well on a handheld. TLOU is a linear action game with an high enphasis on narrative and presentation, these are the kind of experiences that Sony wanted to push on the system but couldn't work because they don't play accordingly to the system's strenghts. You mention lack of killer apss, but Vita had games like Killzone and Uncharted, those games were killer apps on the Ps3.

(1) That sounds like a needlessly slow and laborious process when you could just skip the red tape and go straight to building up the kind of games you lack. Gamers don't need to be warmed up to M-rated content, it's already mainstream and popular.

(2) TLOU launched on hardware weaker than Switch and which was 7 years out of date at the time. And M-rated Wii games like COD and Resident Evil had solid and profitable sales.

(3) The idea that gamers don't want console-like experiences on the go has already been disproven by such games doing great on Switch.

curl-6 said:
freebs2 said:

(1) MMOs and MOBAs are really popular generas, they aren't very much played them on consoles becuase no one tried to push them on console. Guiltlessly I would say, they had different priorities. Also I'm not saying the fact the Switch is lacking in certain genras is benefitting anyone, it's just that since you suggested Nintendo 1st party should spend their resources to "cover the holes" and my argument is that they should take a different approach. Instead of looking at what's popular on other consoles and copy it, they should use an incremental strategy.

• See what kind of game experiences are already popular on the platform
  • Focus on making adjacent game experiences popular and once those are established move to the next adjacency.
  • Repeat the process for some and you'll have a diverse library that at same time refects yout initial strenghts and identity.

(3) You're confusing M-rated for a genre or a playstyle. Mortal Kombat is an M-rated game but imo it can work well on a handheld. TLOU is a linear action game with an high enphasis on narrative and presentation, these are the kind of experiences that Sony wanted to push on the system but couldn't work because they don't play accordingly to the system's strenghts. You mention lack of killer apss, but Vita had games like Killzone and Uncharted, those games were killer apps on the Ps3.

(1) That sounds like a needlessly slow and laborious process when you could just skip the red tape and go straight to building up the kind of games you lack. Gamers don't need to be warmed up to M-rated content, it's already mainstream and popular.

(2) TLOU launched on hardware weaker than Switch and which was 7 years out of date at the time. And M-rated Wii games like COD and Resident Evil had solid and profitable sales.

(3) The idea that gamers don't want console-like experiences on the go has already been disproven by such games doing great on Switch.

(1) It's true those game are already popular, the thing games need to be warmed up is the idea of playing those games on a Nintendo system instead of a Ps4.

(2) Even considering the Switch is more adevanced than a Ps3, the benchmark for comparison for those kind of experiences is not TLOU anymore, it's UC4, Horizon, by the time those theorical 1st party titles are finished they will be compared to the likes of Red Dead Redempion 2 and TLOU2. As for the metioned Wii games Resident Evil actually did quite well because the series already had an history on Nintendo systems (on the Gamecube).  COD was so popular it could sell some decent number on any system, still doing quick math on vgc numbers the Wii iterations of the game accounted for 4% of the total console sales (not even counting PC), it's very hard to sustain those games conviced any COD fan to buy a Wii.

(3) We have to agree on definitions here. If by console-like experiences you mean "linear action games with an high enphasis on narrative and presentation" like I stated before, no the Switch hasn't proved anything since there isn't a single game on the platform that fits that definition. Also due to the hybrid nature of the console what is established for handheld gaming isn't necessarily or completely appliable to the platform.   

freebs2 said:

(1) It's true those game are already popular, the thing games need to be warmed up is the idea of playing those games on a Nintendo system instead of a Ps4.

(2) Even considering the Switch is more adevanced than a Ps3, the benchmark for comparison for those kind of experiences is not TLOU anymore, it's UC4, Horizon, by the time those theorical 1st party titles are finished they will be compared to the likes of Red Dead Redempion 2 and TLOU2. As for the metioned Wii games Resident Evil actually did quite well because the series already had an history on Nintendo systems (on the Gamecube).  COD was so popular it could sell some decent number on any system, still doing quick math on vgc numbers the Wii iterations of the game accounted for 4% of the total console sales (not even counting PC), it's very hard to sustain those games conviced any COD fan to buy a Wii.

(3) We have to agree on definitions here. If by console-like experiences you mean "linear action games with an high enphasis on narrative and presentation" like I stated before, no the Switch hasn't proved anything since there isn't a single game on the platform that fits that definition. Also due to the hybrid nature of the console what is established for handheld gaming isn't necessarily or completely appliable to the platform.   

(1) M rated games on a Nintendo console is not a new or alien concept. Wii had them, Gamecube had them, N64 had them, even Wii U had them. I don't see why Switch owners would need to be warmed up to the idea. They seem fine with the imminent arrival of Skyrim and Doom.

(2) They don't need to be PS4 calibre graphically, just like RE and COD on Wii didn't have to be PS3/360 calibre graphically. It's less about any particular one being a "system seller" and more about the combined effect creating a more comprehensive, diverse, and appealing library.

(3) Even at this early stage in its life, Switch has successfully played host to traditionally "console like" experiences with games like Breath of the Wild and Splatoon 2 that hadn't really proven successful in the portable space before. I see no reason why a game being linear and narrative focussed would suddenly rule out success.

Just start working on Eternal Darkness 2, lazy fucks.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

If they want more mature content on Nintendo side perhaps they should show me publicly spanking Reggie.