By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo wants more "mature" content on the switch

Well, this is great news in my book.

As a Switch owner I want a broad variety of games to play on it, from colourful G-rated platformers to gritty M-rated shooters. Saves me having to go digging through 360 games I missed out on when I need my hit of something with a bit more bite than Zelda or Mario.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

As a Switch owner I want a broad variety of games to play on it, from colourful G-rated platformers to gritty M-rated shooters. Saves me having to go digging through 360 games I missed out on when I need my hit of something with a bit more bite than Zelda or Mario.

I want quality stuff. Don't bury the console in shovelware, don't need idolmaster volume 1 to 7, crappy NISA games, etc.

I don't need the stuff that plagued the Vita.

poroporo said:
curl-6 said:

I want quality stuff. Don't bury the console in shovelware, don't need idolmaster volume 1 to 7, crappy NISA games, etc.

I don't think they'll be a shortage of quality content on Switch.

My policy on shovelware is simple; ignore it, don't buy it, don't play it. As a result, it never bothered me. 

This doesn't sound red ocean-y at all.

curl-6 said:

My policy on shovelware is simple; ignore it, don't buy it, don't play it. As a result, it never bothered me. 

They have a reputation, that they make quality games.

It's not that it bothers me, it's that it can affect brand perception.

Around the Network
ryuzaki57 said:
princevenom said:
this is big news

No it isn't. Nintendo has had this stance since 2011 and 3DS, hence the 1st Senran Kagura and a couple of other ecchi games on 3DS between 2011 and 2013. Nintendo lost those games because the mature audience migrated to PS4/PSV. That has nothing to do with Nintendo's monitoring.

Similarly, COD, AC and stuff were released on WiiU and failed miserably, again because the audience wasn't there. Consequently, their publishers do nothing for mature games on Switch.

Nintendo "wanting" mature games on Switch won't magically grant them tons of 3rd party titles. There are lot of technical, marketing parameters to take into account. Moneyhatting Nights of Azure or Gal Gun isn't enough to turn the tides in their favor : why would people want a Switch if they can have those titles on PS4 1/with better graphics 2/ with trophies? Nights of Azure 2 sales on Switch account for a mere 13% of the total.

The best thing they can do is to show the way with mature 1st party titles. Obviously Metroid Prime 4 can be one of those, but they need a lot more.

Agree with the italicised, disagree with the bolded. On the bolded text in particular - isn't this the same reasoning for people dissing the Vita?

Nintendo did make a few token efforts with respect to "mature" titles last gen, too. Bayonetta 2, Fatal Frame 5, and Devil's Third (lol) both come to mind. But, those were token efforts at best and people will only tend to remember Bayonetta 2.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

poroporo said:
curl-6 said:

They have a reputation, that they make quality games.

It's not that it bothers me, it's that it can affect brand perception.

I'm not seeing software quality becoming a problem for Switch though; it hasn't been so far, nor is it trending in that direction.

Seventizz said:
KLXVER said:

So Nintendo HAS to make the games and not ever ask third party companies for their help? 

No, it's Nintendo's responsibility to sell their console.  Why would I as a third party invest my money into making a title within a genre Nintendo doesn't invest in?  Sounds like a risky gamble to me.

Well Bethesda is releasing Doom and Wolfenstein on the console, so it seems like someone there thinks they will sell. I think they have just as much of a chance to do well as another kart racer or fighting game would.

poroporo said:
curl-6 said:

Really? I wouldn't mind getting a fair share of the A-AA Vita JRPGs and Visual Novels on the Switch. The more the merrier.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
poroporo said:

Really? I wouldn't mind getting a fair share of the A-AA Vita JRPGs and Visual Novels on the Switch. The more the merrier.

Yeah, I mean I personally wouldn't touch those kind of games with a six foot pole, but I'd still be glad to see them come, because someone else might love to have them, and their presence doesn't negatively impact me because I don't have to play them. Plus the more third party games sell on the system, the more will come, including others that might be more my cup of tea.