By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - I thought Orville was bad, but then...

I think I'll just watch Red Dwarf again.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
HoloDust said:

Yeah, The Expanse is pretty much only classic Sci-Fi show at the moment that is very good...my only major problem with it is actor who's portraying Holden...I even got used to Bobby (female Marine) eventually, but Holden is still, after 3 seasons, cringe worthy...at least for me...I haven't read the books, but I hope Miller returns, he was quite good.

On the side note, Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams is somewhat decent show so far.

Holden makes me moist.
The only criticism I can give the show is that a season is so damn short, just like Game of Thrones. D:

Shohreh is probably a perfect actor fit in my opinion, I don't think anyone else could pull off Avasarala.

I quite honestly find her slightly irritating...but I can live with her in that role. Strait on the other hand as Holden...oh dear...I'm not sure what pisses me off more, his complete lack of acting skills or his constant attempts to speak in low voice (although he just sound silly that way) to  come off as more badass then he is (which is about sub zero).

Rest of the cast is, mostly, quite good.

SvennoJ said:
Pemalite said:
The Orville is great. It is pushing modern issues like Gender re-assignment, Sexuality, Feminism and so on... But wrapping that in a Star-Trek themed comedy.
Although... If I hear another marriage/cheating joke I might just scream at someone in 47 different french languages.

It's visuals are also decent for what it is... The story however doesn't seem to be building up to anything right now, that might change in a few more episodes as they may just be building out the characters.

Now Star Trek: Discovery is a visual treat for a Television show, I am keen to see where they take that show going forward, it is certainly playing homage to the theatrical films... I did enjoy the first two action packed episodes that's for sure... We haven't really had much in the way of a truly amazing Sci-Fi show since Star Trek, Firefly, Star Gate and Battlestar Galactica all wound down.

Have you watched The Expanse? Can't wait until season 3. Much more interesting plot lines than 4 year war with the Klingons. Dark matter has its moments as well. It didn't start great either so I'll give SD a chance. At least SD has a budget to do big things. I hope they don't waste it.

I like the expanse as TV-show, but I actually like the books more. Kinda a Song of Ice and Fire situation.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Pemalite said:

I will riot if The Expanse gets cancelled. It needs to be wrapped up respectfully like Battlestar Galactica.

And I am hoping after a few more episides the Orville and Discovery start to come into their own.

Orville episode 4 was nice. The humor is rather hit and miss, but it does feel like a cross between tos and tng. It took tng a few seasons for the actors to become comfortable with eachother, hopefully Orville will last that long. Though Bortus and Klyden remind me of Bert and Ernie...

SvennoJ said:
Pemalite said:

I will riot if The Expanse gets cancelled. It needs to be wrapped up respectfully like Battlestar Galactica.

And I am hoping after a few more episides the Orville and Discovery start to come into their own.

Orville episode 4 was nice. The humor is rather hit and miss, but it does feel like a cross between tos and tng. It took tng a few seasons for the actors to become comfortable with eachother, hopefully Orville will last that long. Though Bortus and Klyden remind me of Bert and Ernie...

Hahahaha...oh shit man, you're spot on.

Around the Network

One thing I hate is that Star Trek doesn't explore that period between TOS and TNG, it seems like it would be interesting. Like with a lot of the technology of TNG, but some of the mystery and federation expansionism of TOS.

When I think about going past Voyager and DS9, I tend to find that it's something that sounds better on paper than it would pan out in reality. There's still a lot of the universe to explore, and there could be a new galactic frontiers to develop. But it seems like technology will be good enough soon to zip into the Delta and Gamma quadrant. Another potential is to make it about some new powerful Galactic Core Empires that even the Borg would be afraid to approach. Or do what Stargate did and find a passage to a new Galaxy.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I actually kind of like both the shows. The Orville is pure fan-made original Star Trek, but that's a niche that someone needs to fill at the moment. I think Seth Mcfarlane isn't particularly convincing as the captain, but I do like some of the characters (especially the security officer) and still enjoy it more than most shows on TV (damning with faint praise, I know). 

I only watched one episode of Discovery so I can't judge it as a series, but it seemed interesting. I didn't particularly like the main character and found her overly abrasive (though I'm a big fan of Michelle Yeoh, so anyone pushing her around naturally arouses my irritation) yet I found the direction they were pushing the Klingons in fairly interesting, though I do hope the writers grant them more depth than simply being terroristic warmongers. The Klingons are warlike, yes, but their culture grew fairly deep during TNG. I do find there is too much lens flare, but I enjoyed the Abrams Star Treks and don't mind the flashy cinematography. 

I think both shows could definitely improve, but I'd like to see both get the opportunity to grow. 

Ariakon said:

I actually kind of like both the shows. The Orville is pure fan-made original Star Trek, but that's a niche that someone needs to fill at the moment. I think Seth Mcfarlane isn't particularly convincing as the captain, but I do like some of the characters (especially the security officer) and still enjoy it more than most shows on TV (damning with faint praise, I know). 

I only watched one episode of Discovery so I can't judge it as a series, but it seemed interesting. I didn't particularly like the main character and found her overly abrasive (though I'm a big fan of Michelle Yeoh, so anyone pushing her around naturally arouses my irritation) yet I found the direction they were pushing the Klingons in fairly interesting, though I do hope the writers grant them more depth than simply being terroristic warmongers. The Klingons are warlike, yes, but their culture grew fairly deep during TNG. I do find there is too much lens flare, but I enjoyed the Abrams Star Treks and don't mind the flashy cinematography. 

I think both shows could definitely improve, but I'd like to see both get the opportunity to grow. 

It's actually the federation that behaved as terrorists. The Klingons were protecting their sacred burial ground. They didn't even finish the Discovery off, left it drifting disabled so they could be rescued. Meanwhile the discovery put an IED on one of the dead the Klingons were retrieving to kill everyone on board.

I hope the writers grant the federation more depth than simply being expansionistic warmongers :p

SvennoJ said:
Ariakon said:

It's actually the federation that behaved as terrorists. The Klingons were protecting their sacred burial ground. They didn't even finish the Discovery off, left it drifting disabled so they could be rescued. Meanwhile the discovery put an IED on one of the dead the Klingons were retrieving to kill everyone on board.

I hope the writers grant the federation more depth than simply being expansionistic warmongers :p

True, I just felt that the show wanted our sympathy to lie with the main character moreso than the Klingons, though I would need to watch more episodes to tell if that was their true intention or if they are trying to build up an "a-ha!" moment where we see that Michelle Yeoh's captain was correct to attempt diplomacy rather than recklessly killing a bunch of Klingons in order to gain their "respect." 

TNG and DS9 were crap their first few episodes, Discovery is much stronger out of the gates but still has issues. Give it some time.