By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Japanese losing interest in Switch due to shortage.

It'll be fine, it is not like someone who was willing to line up for more than one lottery would not buy one if they saw it a year later.
Generally speaking.

Around the Network
caffeinade said:
It'll be fine, it is not like someone who was willing to line up for more than one lottery would not buy one if they saw it a year later.
Generally speaking.

I say lines should just be boycotted anyways.  I refuse to stand in line before a store opens to get a product that isn't at least important to surviving such as food. That is why I probably won't get a SNES Classic this fall.  The last time I did I believe it was for Brawl and what was funny was that the line was for pre orders.  Apparently enough copies were shipped so when I got to the counter they acted like I shouldn't have even been in the preorder line and could have walked up and purchased a copy skipping the preorder line.  Didn't seem right in my book at time but I didn't mind the 10-20 min wait showing up right after midnight.

Nintendo is doing something right if they can get an emotional response like that. If the person gave an alternative product he was going to buy instead that would be worrying for them or just had apathy towards it.

The Switch just seems perfect for the japanese market and ideal for the way the japanese game. I still feel a more compact version with longer battery life will take it to a higher level though. By then it will have a decent software library and lower price and become even more desirable.

ehhhh this is just subjective talk in an article, there is no way to determine if the mass population in Japan who were interested in getting a Switch are remotely at all any less interested now just due to it being hard to get

certainly if someone was willing to wait in a line of a 1000 for a lottery before, then that sort of person isn't going to magically stop being interested (on average).

This just sounds like some bullshit media trying to get clicks and trying to build a false narrative under the weird assumption that it might cause Nintendo to make more Switches

newsflash: Nintendo is almost certainly doing the best they can considering they didn't know how well the system would do AND the shortage of supplies.

Talk about a click baitey article and thread. The Switch is selling out and would probably sell out week to week currently even if it had like 5x the available inventory.  I get people are frustrated who can't get one, but no reason to spin a silly narrative by implying that a sold out item is magically going to lose its demand due to... being sold out. That's illogical and virtually never turns out to be the case. Trust me, the NES Classic being difficult to get hasn't suddenly made those who were interested in it across the board not interested in the SNES Classic. 

Xen said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Clearly you haven't been paying attention to "gamers" over the last 20 years. lol

"Whiny bitches" rather than "gamers", I'd say.

They seem to go hand-in-hand. I mean, when it's getting to a point where developers receive death threats over removing an item within a game, you know things have gone bat-shit crazy. Nothing gamers do these days can shock me. 

Around the Network

That's terrible distribution they are doing. I've got mine a few days after it came out, bought it on a whim. There were like 20 in the shop just sitting there.

Played Zelda, MKart and got tired of it. Probably going to sell it soon if I can get a decent offer.

Nintendo definitely over shipped in Europe if all these stories of no inventory are to be believed in US and JP

sethnintendo said:

I remember someone dying for holding their piss so long and not urinating in a chance to win a Wii through a radio contest competition. The radio station was sued and had to pay decent amount of money.  This will discourage temp sales maybe but the shit will just keep on rolling.  Production just needs to be optimized.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/jury-rules-radio-station-jennifer-strange-water-drinking/story?id=8970712

I believe she died of hyponatremia.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Xen said:

"Whiny bitches" rather than "gamers", I'd say.

They seem to go hand-in-hand. I mean, when it's getting to a point where developers receive death threats over removing an item within a game, you know things have gone bat-shit crazy. Nothing gamers do these days can shock me. 

Haha, so it would appear.

The best is death threats over a review, like that Gamespot reviewer got over GTA V.

Aeolus451 said:
Mnementh said:

LOL, you're so cute. I'm fully aware that Nintendo is a greedy company like any other company. But let merephrase my initial statement for you to understand: Shortages are BAD for business. Any conclusion about "artificial shortage" to "drive demand" are hilarious, because some people really believe that works? Sure, two or three people might be enticed by a product that is out of stock, but what do you do with this increased demand - because you have no stock, you know. On the same day you lose thousands, alone by casual pickups by people seeing the thing in the store and get it because ... why not. You anger people who did want it. You lose people because over time they move on and lose interest. But sure, "artificial shortage" is for business. Logical thinking isn't your strong suit, is it?

(1) The fact that they turned digital DLC (unlimited supply) into collectable figurines that have a very limited supply is proof enough that they use scarcity marketing to sell their products. The whole point of it is to create a craze or strong demand by making a product seem more scarce to the consumer. The trick to it is controlled scarcity.

(2) Nintendo will likely sell all of the NS stock they're withholding throughout the year during the holidays/black friday. It will get people more hungry for it by teasing them throughout the year. They don't lose any sells because anyone who really wants it will buy it whenever they can and those resellers will buy any stock they can to resell. Some people might get mad at the shortages but they'll still buy it sooner or later if they were looking for one in the first place.

(3) It's a win win for nintendo. You and some of other blind ones are attributing a negative tone like "nintendo is evil" or "nintendo is being greedy" to my posts about this when there's no tone of that sort to my posts. If i'm anything I'm saying that nintendo is being smart by doing this. 

(4) Logical thinking isn't my strong suit, huh? Got any more jabs for me? You guys get so emotional over this shit.

(1) Sure. The idea that combining DLC and collectible figurines might get some interest never occured to them, they all sat together and thought about ways to make DLC scarce. And for the same reason they put the major DLC behind amiibo, while keeping unimportant stuff just as DLC. As new racetracks and cars for Mario Kart are surely unimportant and can be sold digitally, while the highly important Mii-costumes have to be locked behind amiibo.

And again, make it scarce, so they can sell less of them, because that is great business, amirite?

(2) So you think, Switch will be in stock more than demand at the holidays? We'll see.

And losing all the sales throughout the year the customers sure will all come.

(3) Losing a lot of sales at all times (because I assure you it will not be readily in stock at the holidays) surely is a win-win for Nintendo. Because, they wouldn't know what to do with all the money, if they sold more. So it is better to restrict sales.

(4) Look at 1-3 and that the reasoning is made hilarously with business for Nintendo, well ...

And Nintendo does bad. They're conservative till it hurts. That's was what let them made overly conservative orders to manufacturers in the first place. They feared sitting on unsold stock. Now they struggle to meet demand. That's stupid of Nintendo. As they produce only video game systems and games, they also can't just rearrange a production line for another product that isn't going so hot (like Sony as general electornics company can). Getting new production lines short term is difficult. That's purely on Nintendo and they losing sales and profit over this stupidity.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

They should. If I were Sony I'd take advantage of this. Nintendo is seriously the most incompetent company when it comes to stock. Nintendo deserves any and all lost sales since they think they'll only sell 5 systems a year