By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Japanese losing interest in Switch due to shortage.

If they were trying so hard to get one up till now (half a year after the release), I'm sure they will come back when the stock issues are fixed.

Around the Network
setsunatenshi said:
That's terrible distribution they are doing. I've got mine a few days after it came out, bought it on a whim. There were like 20 in the shop just sitting there.

Played Zelda, MKart and got tired of it. Probably going to sell it soon if I can get a decent offer.

Nintendo definitely over shipped in Europe if all these stories of no inventory are to be believed in US and JP

never understood people lilke you- you come onto a "Switch is sold out" frustration thread (essentially) to mention that you have a Switch, don't like it, and are going to get rid of it.

Well congratulations pal- do you want an award?

talk about a waste of a post. And just because your local stores have Switches in stock is sort of irrelevant and doesn't speak for Europe as a whole (where some territories are somewhat low on inventory, especially around big cities). We don't know where you live, what country, what city, whatever, and the concept that whatever small area you're in summarizes a continent of 800 million is just silly.

There are territories in Europe that are selling a lot of Switches (especially like France and Germany, some of the largest European countries), and the concept that Nintendo can just pick and choose to abandon spots in Europe is silly. They either support the stores in the continent as a whole or basically don't do it at all. That should be obvious.

Congratz on having a Switch and not liking it, but the only pertinent reason for you to mention that on this topic would be if you plan to send your system to Japan to help inventory over there pal

StarOcean said:
They should. If I were Sony I'd take advantage of this. Nintendo is seriously the most incompetent company when it comes to stock. Nintendo deserves any and all lost sales since they think they'll only sell 5 systems a year

talk about dramatic. They've already sold 1.5 million Switches in Japan and this is under the circumstances of them being limited by the amount of parts available to produce high quality portable devices. Partially they're limited, and partially they didn't anticipate demand would be this high.

and Sony take advantage of it? how? make a copy-cat device that will fail to conquer the Japanese market from Nintendo? rush to spend a lot in development of a similar concept that'll take a year or two to come out, at which point Nintendo will have already solved the production problems long ago and will have a system with a large library?

Even if Sony had some sort of handheld hybrid plan up their sleeves I don't think they honestly have any possibility of combating the likes of Nintendo releasing Pokemon and Animal Crossing on the Switch. 

There's a reason Nintendo owns the video game handheld market, regardless of production difficulties (which, again, are partially out of their control)

Flilix said:
If they were trying so hard to get one up till now (half a year after the release), I'm sure they will come back when the stock issues are fixed.

and also it's strange for people to whine THAT much if we're talking about a situation where someone could spend 25% more than retail price (like $400) and just get a Switch from a third party online at any point in time.

Not defending scalping or raised prices, but it's not as if the secondary market has Switches at some insane rate. If someone really did want to get one they can

mountaindewslave said:
setsunatenshi said:
That's terrible distribution they are doing. I've got mine a few days after it came out, bought it on a whim. There were like 20 in the shop just sitting there.

Played Zelda, MKart and got tired of it. Probably going to sell it soon if I can get a decent offer.

Nintendo definitely over shipped in Europe if all these stories of no inventory are to be believed in US and JP

never understood people lilke you- you come onto a "Switch is sold out" frustration thread (essentially) to mention that you have a Switch, don't like it, and are going to get rid of it.

Well congratulations pal- do you want an award?

talk about a waste of a post. And just because your local stores have Switches in stock is sort of irrelevant and doesn't speak for Europe as a whole (where some territories are somewhat low on inventory, especially around big cities). We don't know where you live, what country, what city, whatever, and the concept that whatever small area you're in summarizes a continent of 800 million is just silly.

There are territories in Europe that are selling a lot of Switches (especially like France and Germany, some of the largest European countries), and the concept that Nintendo can just pick and choose to abandon spots in Europe is silly. They either support the stores in the continent as a whole or basically don't do it at all. That should be obvious.

Congratz on having a Switch and not liking it, but the only pertinent reason for you to mention that on this topic would be if you plan to send your system to Japan to help inventory over there pal

what the hell is your problem dude? the topic is about people losing interest due to shortages and I commented that Nintendo did a poor job with allocating the hardware.

if you disagree with my opinion that's perfectly fine, but if you're trying to be an ass just because you don't like what I said, then you can f* right off

ps: i'm not your "pal"

Around the Network

The Switch is doing to do just fine in Japan, I wouldn't worry about that..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

mountaindewslave said:
StarOcean said:
They should. If I were Sony I'd take advantage of this. Nintendo is seriously the most incompetent company when it comes to stock. Nintendo deserves any and all lost sales since they think they'll only sell 5 systems a year

talk about dramatic. They've already sold 1.5 million Switches in Japan and this is under the circumstances of them being limited by the amount of parts available to produce high quality portable devices. Partially they're limited, and partially they didn't anticipate demand would be this high.

and Sony take advantage of it? how? make a copy-cat device that will fail to conquer the Japanese market from Nintendo? rush to spend a lot in development of a similar concept that'll take a year or two to come out, at which point Nintendo will have already solved the production problems long ago and will have a system with a large library?

Even if Sony had some sort of handheld hybrid plan up their sleeves I don't think they honestly have any possibility of combating the likes of Nintendo releasing Pokemon and Animal Crossing on the Switch. 

There's a reason Nintendo owns the video game handheld market, regardless of production difficulties (which, again, are partially out of their control)

What the fuck is wrong with you? Why shouldn't they lose interest? Happens to every kind of product, not just the Switch. No stock = less interest for some people. 

Sony would do what any rival company does when their competition is in short supply, advertise, advertise, advertise. Contrary to what you may believe, the Switch isn't such a revolutionary concept that Sony nor MS need to jump on board and "copy-cat" the device. It is to advertise though.

Quite the fucking logic leap you took there though, somehow you got "Make a copy cat device" and then tried to go into detail as to why it would fail rather than just rationalize that there are many myriads of ways that Sony could take advantage of low stock... but yes, that is totally what I was thinking when I said Sony should take advantage of this situation. Yep. Definitely. XD

Jesus Christ though, no reason to get this worked up over a stupid toy. 

Mnementh said:
Aeolus451 said:

(1) The fact that they turned digital DLC (unlimited supply) into collectable figurines that have a very limited supply is proof enough that they use scarcity marketing to sell their products. The whole point of it is to create a craze or strong demand by making a product seem more scarce to the consumer. The trick to it is controlled scarcity.

(2) Nintendo will likely sell all of the NS stock they're withholding throughout the year during the holidays/black friday. It will get people more hungry for it by teasing them throughout the year. They don't lose any sells because anyone who really wants it will buy it whenever they can and those resellers will buy any stock they can to resell. Some people might get mad at the shortages but they'll still buy it sooner or later if they were looking for one in the first place.

(3) It's a win win for nintendo. You and some of other blind ones are attributing a negative tone like "nintendo is evil" or "nintendo is being greedy" to my posts about this when there's no tone of that sort to my posts. If i'm anything I'm saying that nintendo is being smart by doing this. 

(4) Logical thinking isn't my strong suit, huh? Got any more jabs for me? You guys get so emotional over this shit.

(1) Sure. The idea that combining DLC and collectible figurines might get some interest never occured to them, they all sat together and thought about ways to make DLC scarce. And for the same reason they put the major DLC behind amiibo, while keeping unimportant stuff just as DLC. As new racetracks and cars for Mario Kart are surely unimportant and can be sold digitally, while the highly important Mii-costumes have to be locked behind amiibo.

And again, make it scarce, so they can sell less of them, because that is great business, amirite?

(2) So you think, Switch will be in stock more than demand at the holidays? We'll see.

And losing all the sales throughout the year the customers sure will all come.

(3) Losing a lot of sales at all times (because I assure you it will not be readily in stock at the holidays) surely is a win-win for Nintendo. Because, they wouldn't know what to do with all the money, if they sold more. So it is better to restrict sales.

(4) Look at 1-3 and that the reasoning is made hilarously with business for Nintendo, well ...

And Nintendo does bad. They're conservative till it hurts. That's was what let them made overly conservative orders to manufacturers in the first place. They feared sitting on unsold stock. Now they struggle to meet demand. That's stupid of Nintendo. As they produce only video game systems and games, they also can't just rearrange a production line for another product that isn't going so hot (like Sony as general electornics company can). Getting new production lines short term is difficult. That's purely on Nintendo and they losing sales and profit over this stupidity.

Does Nintendo have sales for limited periods of time? Does it have limited edition/run products? Yes and yes? That's scarcity marketing. 

Amiibo is also scarcity marketing in a variety of different ways. They do took digital DLC that has unlimited supply and turned it into a bunch of different collectable figurines that have a very limited supply. Because it now has a limited supply and collectable, there's more demand for it then there would have been if it was just digital dlc. By your dense logic, they shouldn't have created amiibos or that they shouldn't have sold so well because "again, make it scarce, so they can sell less of them, because that is great business, amirite?".

I'll try to explain this concept in a different way because you're confused on how it works. I'm gonna use the following parts as an example, I'm not quoting actual hard numbers. It's an example. Can we both agree that nintendo's goal is to sell all of their stock and make people want more? Okay good.

Let's say that nintendo can produce 5 million switches per month and that's their max production ability. I'm saying that they're taking 2 million switches from each month to store in a warehouse to create a "shortage" while the 3 million from each month sell out. They do this all year til black friday and the holidays. Because there's a shortage, there's more desire from consumers to obtain the product. This is when they unleash all of their stored switches into the market and they sell out. They don't lose any sales. They sold everything and there's alot more hype for the product because it's harder to get. Plus, the sold out headlines make investors happy. 

That´s curious... because the Switch still continue to sell a lot more than any other console, according to Media Create / Dengeki and other charts.

A few Twitter lines don´t mean much, if they mean anything at all. Some people may be dissapointed with the long wait to get one, and it wouldn´t be hard to find these people on social media.......but this doesn´t mean that demand or the interest actually decreased. Specially now that Splatoon 2 is out and Mario Odyssey is on the way.

Aeolus451 said:

Let's say that nintendo can produce 5 million switches per month and that's their max production ability. I'm saying that they're taking 2 million switches from each month to store in a warehouse to create a "shortage" while the 3 million from each month sell out. 

Bad tactic there. The userbase is a king now, the faster u build it the better. There is a reason why PS3 struggled to catch up with 360, even if it outsold it since day1.