By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Japanese losing interest in Switch due to shortage.

Aeolus451 said:
Mnementh said:
But, but, ... Nintendo artificially creates this shortages to INCREASE demand!

Yeah, man. The shortages happen.... because nintendo is so incompetent...I meant because nintendo has a hard time predicting demand.... that they haven't figured out how to not have to shortages since the NES. 

There's no way nintendo is using scarcity marketing to help sell their products..... even though they do timed sales, limited run products, limited special editions of products, had repeated shortages over a wide range of their products and...... turned digital DLC (no shortages because it's digital) into toy-like figurines that give you access to exclusive DLC which.... somehow had shortages all the time. 

gul·li·ble  (gŭl′ə-bəl)

adj.

Easily deceived or duped.

How could I not see Nintendos evilness! You enlightened me!! Let's protect us together from Nintendos wrongdoings!!!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
think-man said:
They'll be back!

...And in greater numbers.

Switch will be fine in Japan long term, but Nintendo just cannot ever launch a product without fucking something up. Fix mistakes from last gen, and always make news ones straight away. Pro-tip: next time find some back up fucking vendors for components. Every tablet on the planet uses Flash NAND and Nintendo had to insist on using the same stuff Apple (of all companies) uses.

Its just on social media.
Like compare us or Youtube comments to the sales of the games........

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Xen said:
I really wonder as to why anyone would be frustrated and overreact in such a way. It's a game system. It's a luxury. Unless you have absolutely nothing else going on in your life, you can wait.

Because some people several times waiting in lines and didn't had much to get lottery ticket for buying Switch, so if they relly want Switch but dont want to pay $100+ above ofical price, it can be frustrated and of course you will always have some people that overreact.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

The answer to this of course ... is to cease ALL SHIPMENTS to Europe and bring them back to Japan! Woohoo!

Thing is, there isn't an alternative ... and even if one is being developed, it won't be out for a long time. People can throw a fit but it's not going to affect lifetime sales much at all. 

Lol, I remember when Switch was "revealed" at the January conference there was the guy with that Roadhog avatar who kept saying "Guys, i'm telling ya! My friend in Japan is saying that the Japanese are laughing at the Switch! They think it's a joke!" 

Eh, it's not like Europe is overshiped, actually even if supply is much better in Europe compared to Japan and US, Europe still dont have regular availability in most markets. So if they do that soon we would had shortages in Europe also.

Aeolus451 said:
Mnementh said:
But, but, ... Nintendo artificially creates this shortages to INCREASE demand!

Yeah, man. The shortages happen.... because nintendo is so incompetent...I meant because nintendo has a hard time predicting demand.... that they haven't figured out how to not have to shortages since the NES. 

There's no way nintendo is using scarcity marketing to help sell their products..... even though they do timed sales, limited run products, limited special editions of products, had repeated shortages over a wide range of their products and...... turned digital DLC (no shortages because it's digital) into toy-like figurines that give you access to exclusive DLC which.... somehow had shortages all the time. 

gul·li·ble  (gŭl′ə-bəl)

adj.

Easily deceived or duped.

After Wii U failed where they overproduced and overshiped Wii U units, and because that later they didnt could have Wii U price cut if they didnt want to selling it at huge loss, of course they will be more cautious with their predictions. If we talk about their main products, last few generation they had shortages only with Wii and Switch, and both were selling better than was expected.

Around the Network

In any case this isn't worried, people who currently don't want to be in line for Switch any more, will buy Switch in any case in some point later when availability is better or normal.

The only thing I do think could be a bit of an issue for Nintendo in Japan this holiday is for *Japanese* tastes, their lineup is not that strong.

Mario Odyessy is a Sunshine style open world Mario and Japan tends to not really go crazy for those. Xenoblade should do OK but it's not really a big selling IP there. Fire Emblem Warriors is OK. Beyond that there's not a ton.

Splatoon 2 is likely going to have to do a lot of the heavy lifting right through the year, which it probably can pull off, but it's not ideal.

I wonder where Dragon Quest XI Switch Edition is, that would help even though it'll be an old port at this rate unfortunately. Things like Skyrim, Rocket League, NBA 2K, and FIFA may help in the US, but these are not big in Japan. 

So not making hay in Japan with lots of units during this early period was ill-advised. Maybe Dragon Quest Builders 2 could help? But I don't think S-E gave a date on that. 

Soundwave said:

The only thing I do think could be a bit of an issue for Nintendo in Japan this holiday is for *Japanese* tastes, their lineup is not that strong.

Mario Odyessy is a Sunshine style open world Mario and Japan tends to not really go crazy for those. Xenoblade should do OK but it's not really a big selling IP there. Fire Emblem Warriors is OK. Beyond that there's not a ton.

Splatoon 2 is likely going to have to do a lot of the heavy lifting right through the year, which it probably can pull off, but it's not ideal.

I wonder where Dragon Quest XI Switch Edition is, that would help even though it'll be an old port at this rate unfortunately. Things like Skyrim, Rocket League, NBA 2K, and FIFA may help in the US, but these are not big in Japan. 

So not making hay in Japan with lots of units during this early period was ill-advised. Maybe Dragon Quest Builders 2 could help? But I don't think S-E gave a date on that. 

Well, but they will sell what they have at the holidays in any case and nxt year they have Pokemon.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Well it passed 1.5 mil in six months sooooo...

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

dharh said:
Gonna call bull on this. There are different segments of gamers. Ask the right questions to the right kinds of people and you get the answers you seek.

Even though I have very little interest in the Switch, if it were easy to find and I had the money I would probably have bought one. However, because it is not easy to find I am definitely not willing to spend the extra effort in getting one. There are people with varying degrees of interest and willingness to spend effort in getting what they want even if the want is very little. Just because some people who are probably already wishy washy in buying the Switch in the first place have decided the not buy it because of long lines doesn't mean there aren't plenty of other people willing to buy the Switch despite the long lines and would love to do so if there weren't shortages.

Bolded - so, SO true.  And not just what you ask, but how you word what you ask.  

This is sour grapes at it's finest.  

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"