Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo was never doomed

gentii said:
Turkish said:

Sony Sees Highest Profit Since 1998

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-28/sony-sees-highest-profit-in-two-decades-on-games-phone-cameras

Bruh all the points you made itt have been wrong lol. Why did u make this thread about Sony when u tryna defend Nintendo's honor? 😂

You really believe thats Sony phone have profit? OMG but Xperia division its a dissaster ?? Picture Division dissater???? TV division dissaster? You need more cok guzel? Lol lol LOL

You literally don't know what you're talking about and are just trolling at this point.

Division performance ranked from best to worst:

Semiconductors 55.4Bn yen profit

Financial Services 46.2Bn yen profit

Music 25Bn yen profit

Imaging Products & Solutions (IP&S) 23.2Bn yen profit

Home Entertainment & Sound (HE&S) 22.6Bn yen profit

Game & Network Services (G&NS) 17.7Bn yen profit

Mobile Communications (MC) 3.6Bn yen profit

Pictures 9.5Bn yen loss

 

Only Sony Pictures lost money, everything else is "çok güzel". 👌  Also whats this gibberish "OMG but Xperia division its a dissaster"? How do u grammer? If English is too hard for u go learn Turkish and come back to me lol.



Around the Network

Is it beating PS4 though? Launch day, it had higher sales because it launched in more countries, including Japan.PS4 launched only in US and Canada, then Europe 2 weeks later, and then Japan about 4 months later. Once all was said and done though, PS4 had a very solid baseline and has been maintaining it ever since.



0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Turkish said:
gentii said:

You really believe thats Sony phone have profit? OMG but Xperia division its a dissaster ?? Picture Division dissater???? TV division dissaster? You need more cok guzel? Lol lol LOL

You literally don't know what you're talking about and are just trolling at this point.

Division performance ranked from best to worst:

Semiconductors 55.4Bn yen profit

Financial Services 46.2Bn yen profit

Music 25Bn yen profit

Imaging Products & Solutions (IP&S) 23.2Bn yen profit

Home Entertainment & Sound (HE&S) 22.6Bn yen profit

Game & Network Services (G&NS) 17.7Bn yen profit

Mobile Communications (MC) 3.6Bn yen profit

Pictures 9.5Bn yen loss

 

Only Sony Pictures lost money, everything else is "çok güzel". 👌  Also whats this gibberish "OMG but Xperia division its a dissaster"? How do u grammer? If English is too hard for u go learn Turkish and come back to me lol.

 That's awesome news. Do you sharing a link? So I can use the info. 



0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

It surely looked doomed to me back in the WiiU days. They sort of learned with their mistakes, but I wouldn't take Switch's early success for granted just yet. Keep playing wisely every year and try to earase the bad reputation that the wiiu left.



...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
DialgaMarine said:
Turkish said:

You literally don't know what you're talking about and are just trolling at this point.

Division performance ranked from best to worst:

Semiconductors 55.4Bn yen profit

Financial Services 46.2Bn yen profit

Music 25Bn yen profit

Imaging Products & Solutions (IP&S) 23.2Bn yen profit

Home Entertainment & Sound (HE&S) 22.6Bn yen profit

Game & Network Services (G&NS) 17.7Bn yen profit

Mobile Communications (MC) 3.6Bn yen profit

Pictures 9.5Bn yen loss

 

Only Sony Pictures lost money, everything else is "çok güzel". 👌  Also whats this gibberish "OMG but Xperia division its a dissaster"? How do u grammer? If English is too hard for u go learn Turkish and come back to me lol.

 That's awesome news. Do you sharing a link? So I can use the info. 

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/17q1_sony.pdf

U prolly can find that in article form but there is the source.



Around the Network
DialgaMarine said:
Is it beating PS4 though? Launch day, it had higher sales because it launched in more countries, including Japan.PS4 launched only in US and Canada, then Europe 2 weeks later, and then Japan about 4 months later. Once all was said and done though, PS4 had a very solid baseline and has been maintaining it ever since.

What does this have to do with the topic at hand?



"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Nintendo is more likely to be doomed from the loss of trust/interest of consumers and fans. That will happen before they lose too much money.



Lifetime Sales Predictions 

PS4: 130 mil (was 100 million) Xbox One: 55 mil (was 50 mil) Switch: 110 million (was 73, then 96 million)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Turkish said:
KLAMarine said:

You're likely correct but I'd like to see some hard financial numbers to back this up.

Hmm, perhaps... Google Trends is telling me for the past 12 months, Nintendo has gathered up more interest than PlayStation.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=playstation,nintendo

Not sure what to make of this, honestly. Add in xbox and one is in for a surprising result: https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=playstation,nintendo,xbox

Also compare Nintendo's Switch's reveal trailer to PS4's reveal trailer:

 

What the latter took to reach in over four years, the former is on track to reach in about one. Another potential indicator of interest favoring Nintendo. Note PlayStation's higher sub count though...

There's also the chance that recognition and interest are two completely different things and should not be compared in this way... What say you?

Three fourths of the world!? That's about 5.6 billion people... I'm having a very hard time believing this. How was this number calculated?

That's a table from 2016, I believe. http://brandirectory.com/league_tables/table/global-500-2017 is showing something slightly different:

...

Nintendo's 355 to PlayStation's 479.

"I dunno why you guys use months old data"

Why do you? You linked http://brandirectory.com/league_tables/table/global-500-2016 which was from a year that ended over seven months ago.

Is not hard to look up latest financial reports. PS4 division made 17.7bn yen profit vs Nintendoes 16.2 last q, and they just launched their most popular console.

Playstation has bigger brand recognition, do a representative poll worldwide and more people will know Playstation than Nintendo, from all my travels in Europe, Middle East and Asia Playstation was the most associated with gaming. It's been a continuously used name for over 20 years. People might know the Wii and Gameboy individually but not the company behind it just like they might not know Sony is behind Playstation. Playstation makes big money and let others make big money, it's how 3rd parties survive. PSN until recently was making more money than all of Nintendo, that storefront alone is worth $.

Then I guess Japan made a mistake having Mario represent the nation in the handoff of the closing ceremonies of one of the biggest international events in the world or having Pokémon become official mascots of the national team for the World Cup. :P

Or the fact that there's excitement of Nintendo creating a theme park at Universal Studios.

and I thought he showed you an updated link of popular brands showing Nintendo being a little higher. Don't you acknowledge that since you put out link from the same site?



Turkish said:
KLAMarine said:

"If Sony spun off Playstation, it would be worth more than Nintendo alone"

 

How do you know this?

Because Playstation is 1. more profitable and generates more sales 2. has bigger brand recognition 3. is a global brand which 3/4th of the world recognizes as the face of gaming 4. one of the most valuable brands http://brandirectory.com/league_tables/table/global-500-2016

JWeinCom said:

Not done.

Market cap is based stock price.  Sony's stock price is lower than it was at the end of may.  Nintendo's is higher.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/26/nintendos-market-value-climbs-past-sony-corp

As of the end of June, Nintendo's market cap was higher.  That being said though, market cap is not the same as market value.  Market cap only accounts for equity.  Buying Sony for instance would mean assuming their debts, which would influence the price someone would be willing to pay for them.

Sony is worth more than Nintendo now, it's a simple google search really, I dunno why you guys use months old data, stocks aren't a static thing.

Sony market cap: 5,61T yen

Nintendo market cap: 5,33T yen

The reason that people use months old data, is because since stocks do change people tend to give market caps at particular benchmarks, such as the end of a fiscal year, as the person I was replying to did.  I provided the link to specifically show that this data is not definitive proof, as that person was claiming.  I further explained that market cap is not equivelant to the worth of the company.  Cause it's not.

Turkish said:
KLAMarine said:

You're likely correct but I'd like to see some hard financial numbers to back this up.

Hmm, perhaps... Google Trends is telling me for the past 12 months, Nintendo has gathered up more interest than PlayStation.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=playstation,nintendo

Not sure what to make of this, honestly. Add in xbox and one is in for a surprising result: https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=playstation,nintendo,xbox

Also compare Nintendo's Switch's reveal trailer to PS4's reveal trailer:

 

What the latter took to reach in over four years, the former is on track to reach in about one. Another potential indicator of interest favoring Nintendo. Note PlayStation's higher sub count though...

There's also the chance that recognition and interest are two completely different things and should not be compared in this way... What say you?

Three fourths of the world!? That's about 5.6 billion people... I'm having a very hard time believing this. How was this number calculated?

That's a table from 2016, I believe. http://brandirectory.com/league_tables/table/global-500-2017 is showing something slightly different:

...

Nintendo's 355 to PlayStation's 479.

"I dunno why you guys use months old data"

Why do you? You linked http://brandirectory.com/league_tables/table/global-500-2016 which was from a year that ended over seven months ago.

Is not hard to look up latest financial reports. PS4 division made 17.7bn yen profit vs Nintendoes 16.2 last q, and they just launched their most popular console.

Playstation has bigger brand recognition, do a representative poll worldwide and more people will know Playstation than Nintendo, from all my travels in Europe, Middle East and Asia Playstation was the most associated with gaming. It's been a continuously used name for over 20 years. People might know the Wii and Gameboy individually but not the company behind it just like they might not know Sony is behind Playstation. Playstation makes big money and let others make big money, it's how 3rd parties survive. PSN until recently was making more money than all of Nintendo, that storefront alone is worth $.

Uhhh... 

I don't know why we're going to look at just one quarter of financial results to determine company value.  I also was completely unaware that the Switch was already "their most popular console", or that console launches were supposed to be a particularly profitable time.  Considering that Sony lost about 128 billion yen after the PS4 launch, maybe we shouldn't expect this to be Nintendo's most profitable time.

In other words, pointing out that Sony's profits were a hundred million dollars or so more in one quarter is a pretty poor argument to show that Sony is more profitable or more popular.


Your personal travels are meaningless.  https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal  When you actually do that representative poll worldwide, or can provide a link to one, let me know.  The only thing you posted that approaches evidence is the list of brands that you provided, but then quickly ignored when it showed that Nintendo is actually more popular.  



JWeinCom said:
Turkish said:

Because Playstation is 1. more profitable and generates more sales 2. has bigger brand recognition 3. is a global brand which 3/4th of the world recognizes as the face of gaming 4. one of the most valuable brands http://brandirectory.com/league_tables/table/global-500-2016

Sony is worth more than Nintendo now, it's a simple google search really, I dunno why you guys use months old data, stocks aren't a static thing.

Sony market cap: 5,61T yen

Nintendo market cap: 5,33T yen

The reason that people use months old data, is because since stocks do change people tend to give market caps at particular benchmarks, such as the end of a fiscal year, as the person I was replying to did.  I provided the link to specifically show that this data is not definitive proof, as that person was claiming.  I further explained that market cap is not equivelant to the worth of the company.  Cause it's not.

Turkish said:

Is not hard to look up latest financial reports. PS4 division made 17.7bn yen profit vs Nintendoes 16.2 last q, and they just launched their most popular console.

Playstation has bigger brand recognition, do a representative poll worldwide and more people will know Playstation than Nintendo, from all my travels in Europe, Middle East and Asia Playstation was the most associated with gaming. It's been a continuously used name for over 20 years. People might know the Wii and Gameboy individually but not the company behind it just like they might not know Sony is behind Playstation. Playstation makes big money and let others make big money, it's how 3rd parties survive. PSN until recently was making more money than all of Nintendo, that storefront alone is worth $.

Uhhh... 

I don't know why we're going to look at just one quarter of financial results to determine company value.  I also was completely unaware that the Switch was already "their most popular console", or that console launches were supposed to be a particularly profitable time.  Considering that Sony lost about 128 billion yen after the PS4 launch, maybe we shouldn't expect this to be Nintendo's most profitable time.

In other words, pointing out that Sony's profits were a hundred million dollars or so more in one quarter is a pretty poor argument to show that Sony is more profitable or more popular.


Your personal travels are meaningless.  https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal  When you actually do that representative poll worldwide, or can provide a link to one, let me know.  The only thing you posted that approaches evidence is the list of brands that you provided, but then quickly ignored when it showed that Nintendo is actually more popular.  

"In other words, pointing out that Sony's profits were a hundred million dollars or so more in one quarter is a pretty poor argument to show that Sony is more profitable or more popular." No one made that argument, the argument was that Playstation was more profitable and popular, not Sony. This interaction started whether a spun off Playstation would be worth more than Nintendo, as did the argument which company is worth more today. And about Nintendoes most popular console, of course I meant their fastest selling console.

Both my statements are correct. Playstation is indeed more profitable and popular as they sell more consoles and make more money, and Sony has a bigger market cap. Not sure what arguments need to be started here. You're right you don't need to hear about my travels, because you already know PS4 is indeed the best selling and most popular console on the maket, my anecdotes only explain Sony ain't lying.