By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How come so many people are unable to spell simple words?

Are you an idiot that can`t spell?

Yes 36 38.30%

No 58 61.70%

Total:94

Would of etc. is really the worst example.

It makes sense phonetically, but once you write it you should immediately notice that it's wrong.

Around the Network

It's been shown that people with high intelligence usually spell poorly.

Sometimes i am on my phone at work so i rush words. Aslong as you understand what there saying i dont see an issue with it. This isnt Exam times haha
Like now i cant be bothered checking and correcting

I usually visit this site with my phone (even though it barely works). So I probably need to vote yes on this one.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

AlfredoTurkey said:

It's also been shown that people who don't give a damn spell poorly and don't correct mistakes.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

My excuse is that I'm born, raised and living in a non english speaking country.

But in my own language I have bigger problem with people trying to write serious text but using the wrong grammar. Specially a particular typ of mistyping witch is common and you shouldn't even do it since there is a more modern alternative to write it witch is accepted and can never go wrong. But nooo people try do use the older (more fancy) way and do it wrong instead. Idiots!

Qwark said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

It's also been shown that people who don't give a damn spell poorly and don't correct mistakes.

I think people who don't give a "damn" probably do most things poorly.

Ka-pi96 said:

Seriously? It really pisses me off. You can give some leeway to non-native speakers of course, but when native speakers do it they just look like idiots. The worst part is that lately I've seen a fair few games with words spelt wrong. If you're charging money for a product maybe learn to fucking spell the words that are in? Just saw some patch notes for a game with no less than 2 mistakes in, ironically a patch claiming to fix some in game grammar mistakes too. Oh, and it's a game from a British developer too, so they can' even use the non-native speaker and too cheap to employ a good translator excuse.

How about some examples of common mistakes? Maybe some people will even learn how not to look like an idiot any more from this...

I could no longer stress myself over grammar after I stopped commenting on IGN. I couldn't have minded if I made a mistake or two. I also couldn't have possibly minded if anyone else made a mistake or two. It has always been a waste of time and energy to be bothered by spelling and grammar. The obvious exception for this would have been if it was for either an important situation or the context was so terrible. The patch notes were terrible both in context and the fact it was an important situation. This was a relatively good example, but I just did not care about it.

Another good example of bad grammar and spelling in terrible context has been revealed in the OP. The OP has grammatical and spelling errors in the first paragraph alone. This I cared about. If you condemned people while properly using spelling and grammar correctly, it would have been fine. Not only have you suggested that those who did not spell correctly looked like idiots in your OP and were idiots in your poll, you made these mistakes yourself. That was hilarious.

Great thread.

Incorrect word usage, bad grammar and spelling are also among my pet peeves. You don't just see it on internet forums either. I've found typos and grammatical mistakes in online news articles as well. It seems that journalists - who's credentials at the very least should include good spelling and grammar skills - are willing to sacrifice that final proof-read in order to get their story out first.

I was once a very strong speller, generally winning or coming close whenever we'd have in-class competitions and making an effort to correct the words I got wrong (damn you mosquito!).

I've noticed that my spelling has gotten considerably worse over the past decade or so, though, and it's fairly obvious to me why that is: autocorrect. People will continue to spell worse as time goes on and I imagine those kids who are ~14 years old right now will emerge into adulthood as the worst spelling generation we've had in quite some time. It's not really their fault, of course, but they've grown up in a time where they almost never had to actually KNOW the exact spelling of a word, as just getting in the general ballpark would generally predict and correct the spelling.

When there's some magic services that automatically warns you and corrects your spelling for you, you don't bother to remember proper spelling.