By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How come so many people are unable to spell simple words?

Are you an idiot that can`t spell?

Yes 36 38.30%

No 58 61.70%

Total:94
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Hiku said:

Maybe he would of responded better if you would of been kinder. 

Maybe he would of responded better if you *had of been kinder. 

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

Well it's just too cliched not to have some mistakes in the OP

Must have lost the t on "can't" when changing the apostrophe. What's wrong with "any more" though?

Any more refers to quantity. Example: Do you have any more lives?

Anymore refers to time. Example: I can't watch this anymore!

In you're sentence refering to idiots, any more is wrong because you are referring to a timeframe of being an idiot rather than the amount of idiots.

Anymore and anymore are similar but not the same.

Dravenet7 said:

Ka-pi96 said:

Seriously? It really pisses me off. You can give some leeway to non-native speakers of course, but when native speakers do it they just look like idiots. The worst part is that lately I've seen a fair few games with words spelt wrong. If you're charging money for a product maybe learn to fucking spell the words that are in? Just saw some patch notes for a game with no less than 2 mistakes in, ironically a patch claiming to fix some in game grammar mistakes too. Oh, and it's a game from a British developer too, so they can' even use the non-native speaker and too cheap to employ a good translator excuse.

How about some examples of common mistakes? Maybe some people will even learn how not to look like an idiot any more from this...

I could no longer stress myself over grammar after I stopped commenting on IGN. I couldn't have minded if I made a mistake or two. I also couldn't have possibly minded if anyone else made a mistake or two. It has always been a waste of time and energy to be bothered by spelling and grammar. The obvious exception for this would have been if it was for either an important situation or the context was so terrible. The patch notes were terrible both in context and the fact it was an important situation. This was a relatively good example, but I just did not care about it.

Another good example of bad grammar and spelling in terrible context has been revealed in the OP. The OP has grammatical and spelling errors in the first paragraph alone. This I cared about. If you condemned people while properly using spelling and grammar correctly, it would have been fine. Not only have you suggested that those who did not spell correctly looked like idiots in your OP and were idiots in your poll, you made these mistakes yourself. That was hilarious.

Ka-pi96 said:

Must have lost the t on "can't" when changing the apostrophe. What's wrong with "any more" though?

Nothing wrong with 'any more' if you're using British English.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/any_more

Dravenet7 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

In you're sentence refering to idiots, any more is wrong because you are referring to a timeframe of being an idiot rather than the amount of idiots.

Not according to this: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/any_more

I was born deaf sooooo.... I have somewhat of an excuse because I cant say some words correctly due to my speech. But most of the your/youre type of words I sometimes type by mistake then fix if I do proof read, but one of my other issues is I don't proof read at all usually, on top of typing too fast for my own good. But to each their own. If I can understand their point I do not mind how someone spells because that does not determine how much of a subject they know, other than if they are talking about how good they are at spelling.

~-~

Around the Network
Hedra42 said:
Dravenet7 said:

I could no longer stress myself over grammar after I stopped commenting on IGN. I couldn't have minded if I made a mistake or two. I also couldn't have possibly minded if anyone else made a mistake or two. It has always been a waste of time and energy to be bothered by spelling and grammar. The obvious exception for this would have been if it was for either an important situation or the context was so terrible. The patch notes were terrible both in context and the fact it was an important situation. This was a relatively good example, but I just did not care about it.

Another good example of bad grammar and spelling in terrible context has been revealed in the OP. The OP has grammatical and spelling errors in the first paragraph alone. This I cared about. If you condemned people while properly using spelling and grammar correctly, it would have been fine. Not only have you suggested that those who did not spell correctly looked like idiots in your OP and were idiots in your poll, you made these mistakes yourself. That was hilarious.

Ka-pi96 said:

Nothing wrong with 'any more' if you're using British English.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/any_more

Hedra42 said:
Dravenet7 said:

Not according to this: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/any_more

In that context it applies to Britain as it indicates that in North America it uses in the context "anymore". In that sense, sure. You are ok to use "any more" if you from the UK and, if Ka-pi happens to be from the UK, then that specific part I chose to highlight, I redact. It does not however, exclude the other grammar and spelling mistakes that were made.

Edit: Let me correct myself by saying that Ka-pi must be from the UK as a conditional to use it. Britain generally reflects the world in English rather than North America. I just happened to be born in the U.S. and used anywhere I went since that was the context I learned it form.

Some people are dyslexic. Some people just type too fast. Some just don't care to be all formal and perfect in forum posts. In general it's easier to catch someone else's mistakes than your own.

It's especially funny when people say things like

"I'd rather be pissed off then pissed on"

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

It's not a spelling problem it's a grammar problem. People know how to spell these words they just use the wrong one by accident and we know what they mean so it's not a huge deal.

I'd just want to make sure if I owned a company and had people writing emails they would know which one to use. But in daily casual conversation I forgive the people I'm talking to because I don't really care that much as long as I can understand what they're saying.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Ka-pi96 said:
Dravenet7 said:

In that context it applies to Britain as it indicates that in North America it uses in the context "anymore". In that sense, sure. You are ok to use "any more" if you from the UK and, if Ka-pi happens to be from the UK, then that specific part I chose to highlight, I redact. It does not however, exclude the other grammar and spelling mistakes that were made.

Edit: Let me correct myself by saying that Ka-pi must be from the UK as a conditional to use it. Britain generally reflects the world in English rather than North America. I just happened to be born in the U.S. and used anywhere I went since that was the context I learned it form.

I am from the UK

Lol. My apologies for that highlight.