By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How come so many people are unable to spell simple words?

Are you an idiot that can`t spell?

Yes 36 38.30%

No 58 61.70%

Total:94
Kudistos Megistos said:
Ka-pi96 said:

How come so many people are unable to spell simple words?

Because people (especially, in my experience, native English speakers) are insecure and refuse to be corrected. Instead of thinking that you're being helpful by telling them about proper usage, they take it as a personal insult and become aggressive. This means they usually don't get corrected because most people are afraid of starting a fight with them, and even when they are corrected, they throw a tantrum at the person for pointing out their mistake instead of trying to fix their error and learn from it.

In short, people who continue to make simple errors usually regard their sense of pride as being more important than self-improvement and communication skills. Ironically, the obsession with saving face makes them look much worse in the long run.

It depends how you go about doing it. Some people mock or laugh/make fun of others for their errors, which is obviously not the way to go about doing it.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Phronesis said:

I did this twice long ago and then I thought to myself "why am I being sorry again?" and the phrase felt stupid and I stopped. Sometime later I also saw some people complaining about others non-native speakers who said "sorry for my english". They find this annoying. 

Yeah, this is annoiyng. Noone musts apologise for bad writing, its not like that changes any thing. As long as can comunicate, it no matters if people is writing good or evil.

I laughed so hard.

3DS, Wii, PSP, Vita, PS2, PS3, PS4 & Steam.

I can spell, but I have a hard time saying some words because I have some impairment on speaking.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

mZuzek said:
iLikeEggs said:

This is the greatest thread I have ever seen on VGC. It's as if you opened up my skull, somehow found a way to learn all of my subconscious thoughts, then manifest them into your post. Thank you. I completely agree. The grammar and spelling from some users on this site are just terrible, akin to that of a 7th grader. 

I hope your not taking this tread for reference when jumping to that concluison.

*You're

Hi

Perhaps they are stupid :o

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
That's not spelling. That's grammar.
Than and Then are both spelled correctly. They are used incorrectly. The same with your and you're.

Infact the same with everything you listed. That isn't spelling, that is proper word usage.

It is most certainly a spelling mistake if you're spelling the word "where" as "were."

Also, *In fact, it's

See, I can be pedantic and pretend to have Asperger's too!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

mZuzek said:
TheWPCTraveler said:

I'd say that while their is a problem, your wrong with you're assumptions. They're use of words are much less of a problem than the people there annoying with their wordplay.

Hey, you got one!

1/5 is good to throw you're assumptions off about person's ability to incest anger.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

mZuzek said:
iLikeEggs said:

*You're

Clearly, you are.

Apologies. My parents were super strict when it came to my grammar and punctuation. Even now, years later, I'm still repressing some painful grammar-related memories. Please forgive me. 

Hi

ehhh, I don't see people mistake 'than/then' and 'were/where' as often as you seem to- and certainly wouldn't let it mega frustrate me.

The internet is in fact full of people of all ages, regions, etc. Some may be on the phone and using an auto feature that fills a word based on a few pushes, so it's not always necessarily someone literally making a mistake but rather going for ease of quick use.

In the end- who cares. If it was your GF/BF doing it constantly then I get bitching, but a fraction of the people online?

Bandorr said:
That's not spelling. That's grammar.
Than and Then are both spelled correctly. They are used incorrectly. The same with your and you're.

Infact the same with everything you listed. That isn't spelling, that is proper word usage.

This.

Ka-pi96 said:
super_etecoon said:
The "you're" in the OP is so odd...what is going on there? What symbol is being used instead of the apostrophe?

I... don`t even know

I use a Japanese keyboard setup so all my punctuation marks are on different keys and I haven`t found the actual apostrophe one yet so just use the closest thing to it

It's a type of font, perhaps Unicode 05F3?