By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How come so many people are unable to spell simple words?

Are you an idiot that can`t spell?

Yes 36 38.30%

No 58 61.70%

Total:94
deskpro2k3 said:

werds shod spel baced un hou it sound.

You mean like this?

She Fawn Is Lie Want! 

My nay she sure dorn way!
Woe dean?
By dar fair sane.
Loss me shown. 
Host us far cared own.
Dish null an cairn ouse an. 
Soda, yeats game us own. 
For ma mid’n say say lift oven idea o’ten he gale.
It row minute! Gay hair do, ace is Nick star by. 
Ace is o’bear so I sick. 
Dive aie I knee! Gay hair dough!
E for four, do forced hint air mere know, o’bear sheer nay bow girl. 
Word Hias! E hope an stearn grease an. 
Gay halt in Dick near! 
Fix Noah mole, days is was mid day own fan gare. 
Nick’s we share O’Ryan. 
Shy’s drag

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network
AZWification said:
Mummelmann said:
"Could of", "should of", these are some of the most common and insanely annoying mistakes made on forums. How do people who are otherwise good at writing get this horrible linguistic misconception into their heads?

I wonder if the people who make those mistakes are even aware that they are mistakes.

Good question, we should of asked them.

I think the main confusion is the fact that it's pronounced "should've" in most regions, it could be misheard and then written as "should of", the same is true for "could of". But people with a basic grasp of the language should know the difference simply by seeing the weird context in which "of" is being used in these two instances, there is zero logic behind when you see it in writing.

Blame it on social media, Google/the Internet, IPhone/smart phones, poor education system and bad parents/high divorce rates. Young generations are victims of the failing system that lets them down. Older generations had to work hard for everything in life and they did not have the technology and they had more discipline, good family/lower divorce rates and a great education system.