By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How come so many people are unable to spell simple words?

Are you an idiot that can`t spell?

Yes 36 38.30%

No 58 61.70%

Total:94
Hynad said:

Personally, it's the use of the word "of" as a verb that I'm sick of seeing.

"Could of", "should of", "would of"...

This gets on my nerve.

It's because modern education favors feelings over results. Watch this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcWu0tsiZM

Around the Network

Well, let's be honest here, if any language needs complete spelling overhaul, it's English.

mZuzek said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Unfortunately that actually seems to be true. In fact most of the time I see people write "sorry, I`m not a native English speaker" or something like that at the end of their posts they usually wrote everything almost perfectly anyway.

Yeah. If any thing, the thing that more bothered me is when people says "sorry for my English" when their writing allright.

Edit: I mean, like, that bother me more then who just rights wrong.

I did this twice long ago and then I thought to myself "why am I being sorry again?" and the phrase felt stupid and I stopped. Sometime later I also saw some people complaining about others non-native speakers who said "sorry for my english". They find this annoying. 

3DS, Wii, PSP, Vita, PS2, PS3, PS4 & Steam.

Hiku said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Maybe he would of responded better if you would of been kinder. 

I of been thinking about that. But those kind of people of never heard of compassion in the first place.
They of clearly never listened to what their teachers of been trying to teach them in school.

Dude.... you're using words wrong! It's teachers have, not teachers of. Jeez, of is not a verb! Some people .... 

RolStoppable said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Seriously? It really pisses me off. You can give some leeway to non-native speakers of course, but when native speakers do it they just look like idiots. 

I approve of threads that teach people how to not look like idiots.

*continues reading*

Ka-pi96 said:

I would rather play Xbox than PlayStation.

It's fine since he's saying it sarcastically... right?

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Bandorr said:
That's not spelling. That's grammar.
Than and Then are both spelled correctly. They are used incorrectly. The same with your and you're.

Infact the same with everything you listed. That isn't spelling, that is proper word usage.

You`re technically right, but one could argue that by using a different word they still spelt the intended word incorrectly

Should I add definitely to the OP then? That seems to be mispelt fairly often, although even then I`ve seen people use the wrong word (defiantly in this case) rather than spelling the right word correctly

Spelt or spelled look it up and you be the judge.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Whale cum 2 da interwebz.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

That's a good questin

(Formerly RCTjunkie)

Ka-pi96 said:
mjk45 said:

Spelt or spelled look it up and you be the judge.

I don't need to look it up. I know the proper British spelling is spelt. And I'm definitely British

I'm glad to hear that you'r not a spelt eating American.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

I don't care as long as I can understand what they mean. Personally, I try to have proper spelling and grammar but sometimes I just don' t catch it. I use the "rich text reply" and it doesn't have any spell check or anything similar for some reason so I have to check it myself. Sometimes, I miss things and other times, I'm tired and mess up a lot. I can tell that you woke up on the wrong side of the bed with that op, Ka-pi.