By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How come so many people are unable to spell simple words?

Are you an idiot that can`t spell?

Yes 36 38.30%

No 58 61.70%

Total:94

You know the situation is dire when a polar bear who uses french accent marks instead of apostrophes complains about how people type.

Around the Network
Leadified said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Because you shouldn't care about someone's spelling as much as the substance of what they're saying. It seriously doesn't matter how someone spells something as long as it's understandable.

The way you present yourself always matters, especially when you're a company. Poor grammar and frequent spelling mistakes may tarnish your reputation.

I'm talking about your average internet user not a company. 

Are there times where presenting yourself matters? Yeah. Like if you say you're smarter than someone and use improper grammar and spelling that will backfire on you. But all the time? Not really. It's a nitpick by people who'd rather get on a high horse over a small issue than make a point.

Player2 said:

You know the situation is dire when a polar bear who uses french accent marks instead of apostrophes complains about how people type.

Is that what is going on?  Makes no sense to me.  Looks all screwy.

Personally, it's the use of the word "of" as a verb that I'm sick of seeing.

"Could of", "should of", "would of"...

I approve of this thread.

Around the Network

Sum tymes whan you argues on teh Interneet u don't has time too spell cheque, its mor important to win den to spelll write.

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Ka-pi96 said:
super_etecoon said:
The "you're" in the OP is so odd...what is going on there? What symbol is being used instead of the apostrophe?

I... don`t even know

I use a Japanese keyboard setup so all my punctuation marks are on different keys and I haven`t found the actual apostrophe one yet so just use the closest thing to it

This in a nutshell is exactly what is going on with people who don't know how to spell a word correctly.  They just use the closest thing they can find to it instead.  

You didn't spell your name right OP. In fact, it's nonsense.

Ka-pi96 said:
super_etecoon said:

This in a nutshell is exactly what is going on with people who don't know how to spell a word correctly.  They just use the closest thing they can find to it instead.  

Well then maybe this thread will be the help they need to use the correct word in the future.

Of course, if anybody wants to tell me which key to press to get an apostrophe I`d appreciate the help too

screen cap your keyboard.

dis thread w!ll b doped!