By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's causing the delays in chart updates?

Errorist76 said:

It's getting ridiculous atm...the PS4 has been outselling the X1 since beginning of the year by 3:1, sometimes even more....and VGChartz still don't even seem to want to acknowledge it has been 2:1 all in all. I've stopped taking this site serious long ago.

Errorist76 said:

It's getting ridiculous atm...the PS4 has been outselling the X1 since beginning of the year by 3:1, sometimes even more....and VGChartz still don't even seem to want to acknowledge it has been 2:1 In the overall stats. I've stopped taking this site serious long ago.

Then why are you here? 

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Errorist76 said:

It's getting ridiculous atm...the PS4 has been outselling the X1 since beginning of the year by 3:1, sometimes even more....and VGChartz still don't even seem to want to acknowledge it has been 2:1 In the overall stats. I've stopped taking this site serious long ago.

Then why are you here? 

For interesting discussions, a more mature audience...Surely not the stats anymore...I remember times, not long ago, where the stats weren't just updated once in 4-6 weeks. But you're right...sometimes I ask myself the same question.

So one could say I came for the stats...I stayed for lovely people like you..muak :- () (I've been watching this site for many years without registering an account)

Pok87 said:
StarDoor said:

Here's a crappy mockup I made:

Consoles are arranged by release date, with the year added for context. Just add in relevant new hardware when it releases, and remove its predecessor.  Red = Nintendo, Blue = Sony, Green = Microsoft.

Numbers should be larger, but overall it looks very good.

If dropping percentages and gens from the chart is the best or only way this can be done at the present time, I would rather see a layout something like this rather than what is in use at the moment. The release dates do give somewhat of an indication what should fit into each gen. Since we know where Wii U stands basically (and could replace Wii in the Last Gen chart?), and XB1 and PS4 don't seem to be going anywhere for at least a few years, getting Switch up there makes sense.

Unless maybe a "Next Gen" chart could be made up with only Switch, that was an option to choose like Last Gen or Year-to-Date? Not sure which is harder to do or makes the most sense.

Machina said:

I'd be happy with this, with a couple of changes (rounded figures, like we use at present; and renaming the tab 'Current Platforms' or something like that, so that the market share percentages could be retained). Trunks is too. When Brett starts responding again I'll bring it up with him and try to get him to add Switch asap.

Would you combine handheld and home consoles sales for the market share percentages, or would you classify Switch as a home console and keep them separate?

I feel like there are a lot of issues either way. Maybe the percentages should just be on the Year-to-Date chart? That way, we could have a system where we don't have to remove hardware that's still selling well from the main chart just because it has a successor. For example, the PS2 was still relevant hardware after the PS3 released: It sold 40 million from 2007 to discontinuation, and actually shipped more in 2007 than the PS3.

New hardware should kick out the system that's selling the least on the main chart. So when the PS5 releases in 2020 or something, it would kick out the Vita instead of the PS4, because the PS4 is still likely to be selling multiple millions a year at that point. Then the Xbox 4 would kick out the 3DS, because it would have the slowest sales pace after the Vita, and then the Switch 2 would kick out the Xbox One.

So the current Year-to-Date chart would have these percentages:

NS 30.5%
PS4 40.9%
XOne 14.6%
PSV 3.1%
3DS 10.9%

StarDoor said:

Here's a crappy mockup I made:

Consoles are arranged by release date, with the year added for context. Just add in relevant new hardware when it releases, and remove its predecessor.  Red = Nintendo, Blue = Sony, Green = Microsoft.

Machina said:
RolStoppable said:

You can keep the bars, but you don't list market share percentages anymore. That way you won't have to put Switch twice on the frontpage.

I know it's unfortunate, but there is not a simple solution when the number of platforms has been reduced from five to three. Nintendo combined their home console and handheld while Sony exited the handheld market. It's a small section of the frontpage, so I cannot imagine that it would be a lot of work to implement a new design. Convincing Brett to get it done is the hard part.

StarDoor had a good idea when he put release years under the bars for console sales. I can also get behind the idea of using market share percentages for year to date sales that include consoles from two different generations.

Change is always going to be controversial and you are never going to please everyone. But it's a fact that change happened and you won't get around the new circumstances in the video game console market. You have to figure out what makes the most sense going forward. What are you going to do when the PS5 launches? If you keep market share percentages and then swap the PS5 for the PS4 on the frontpage, Sony's market share would drop from ~60% to under 5%. Removing market share percentages is going to be a lesser evil than retaining them.

Regarding your question. Assume PS5 releases in, say, 3 years' time, and the Switch is continuing to prove a great success, so Nintendo has no plans for a new platform anytime soon. In that situation I'd say the home console chart would be just Switch and PS5, with XOne being dropped entirely. The next Xbox console would then be added to the chart when it released.

Sure this'd mean PS5 having almost no market share at first, and Switch having 90+%, but that's jsut the state of the market at the time and no different from the Xbox 360 headstart during that generation.

Like you say it means making a call and no one will be entirely satisfied. But if I were to make that call right now it would be:

NS/XOne/PS4
3DS/Vita

With market shares and with date of release, and with the chart being renamed current platforms. The handheld chart would be removed once both Vita and 3DS stop being produced. If Nintendo releases a new handheld then it would have 100% market share. If they don't, then handheld gets taken down altogether. Switch fits more comfortably in the console section than the handheld one imo.

Is it possible to add another chart option just like Last Gen and Year-to-Date, and call it "Current Platforms" ?

By the sounds of it, you could use/copy the same chart system now, but make a few minor changes, so the "Current Platforms" chart mimics the one by StarDoor?

This way, the This Gen chart, doesn't need to change at all, and anyone who wants to see Switch on the charts can just go to "Current Platforms" to see it for now.

Considering Switch has 100% marketshare of the newest gen, percentages wouldn't be necessary until there was some competition, if at all, but maybe having percentages to show how much marketshare each platform has right now would be better than no percentage at all, since it would be a "Current Platform" chart. At least by doing it this way, in another completely separate chart, it would have to greatly minimize complaints, considering the charts that exist now wouldn't be changed or affected.

The final question would be, does This Gen remain the main chart to show up on the front page or do you make "Current Platforms" the main chart to give Switch a spot on the front page?

Around the Network

Whatever happens with the Switch for the graphic, it's time to get rid of the Wii/X360/PS3 graphic on the front page. Doesn't matter anymore, that era is long over.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Machina said:
EricHiggin said:

Is it possible to add another chart option just like Last Gen and Year-to-Date, and call it "Current Platforms" ?

By the sounds of it, you could use/copy the same chart system now, but make a few minor changes, so the "Current Platforms" chart mimics the one by StarDoor?

This way, the This Gen chart, doesn't need to change at all, and anyone who wants to see Switch on the charts can just go to "Current Platforms" to see it for now.

Considering Switch has 100% marketshare of the newest gen, percentages wouldn't be necessary until there was some competition, if at all, but maybe having percentages to show how much marketshare each platform has right now would be better than no percentage at all, since it would be a "Current Platform" chart. At least by doing it this way, in another completely separate chart, it would have to greatly minimize complaints, considering the charts that exist now wouldn't be changed or affected.

The final question would be, does This Gen remain the main chart to show up on the front page or do you make "Current Platforms" the main chart to give Switch a spot on the front page?

That's pretty much what I'm leaning towards doing right now. I think it's the best compromise.

I would think so too. Not messing with the this/last generational hardware charts keeps those people happy, and adding a chart to show current hardware so nothing is left out should make the rest happy.

The only way I could potentially see anyone being upset by adding a separate "Current Platforms" chart right now, could be super hardcore XB fans. Its already well behind PS4, and if Switch continues to sell like it has, it will make XB1 look even worse in comparison. However, Nin fans will be really happy. Unfortunately that's just reality at the moment. Hopefully if there were anyone who was upset about seeing their console of choice in a bad light, they should just simply realize the chart is a really useful indicator that improvements can be made in the future to grow that ecosystem.

Just weighing in ( a bit late maybe) to say that I agree with StarDoor's mockup as well. I think that adding the year of release provides an important perspective now that the distinction between generations is becoming increasingly blurred.

Tagging this thread for reference.

Signature goes here!

spurgeonryan said:
We still have updates>?

^

For it to be considered delays you would need to be expecting there to be an arrival.

Just saying... there isn't some guy walking about here wondering why the trains are delayed :D

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive