Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's causing the delays in chart updates?

Machina said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
Switch isn't even part of the graph on the main page yet.

And nor will it until there's an industry-wide consensus as to what generation it fits into (and if it's the start of a new one then we'll be waiting for at least one competitor to also launch so that we can introduce a meaningful new market share graph).

It's on the weekly chart, which is what matters for now.

No one's gonna come out and say what gen it is though, you could class Xbox one X as a new gen that is BC. Anyways nice to get a input from those in the Know regarding charts.

Around the Network

About the hardware I am waiting on Brett to make adjustments to the PS4 figures before continuing. I've also just emailed him about the Switch, 3DS and Wii U adjustments. Once those are complete I will catch up with the hardware figures.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Charts? Haha!! Good one!! Lol 😂

Machina said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
Switch isn't even part of the graph on the main page yet.

And nor will it until there's an industry-wide consensus as to what generation it fits into (and if it's the start of a new one then we'll be waiting for at least one competitor to also launch so that we can introduce a meaningful new market share graph).

Eh..... It would be nice to see its total in the homepage though.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

VGPolyglot said:
Machina said:

I'm not sure it's so much about trust. I've been working for Brett for almost a decade and I've actually been doing the software for coming up to two years now (time frigging flies). I don't doubt he trusts me to do this stuff.

The real problem is that Brett would need to spend time building new functionality into the section of the site where we work on the charts. The stuff he does that I'm unable to do - and the reason for that - it's stuff that requires someone to literally go into the site code and tinker. I cannot do that - I know nothing about coding or website development.

For me the logical thing to do would be for him to devote a few hours or days, or whatever it would take, building those tools for me, and then he can just leave us to it and never be bothered with any of it ever again (something that'd suit him no end I imagine). That requires more work for him in the short term but nothing thereafter, but he doesn't seem to be able or willing to put that immediate work in. Which leaves us stuck with the status quo where Trunks and myself are sending him almost daily e-mails reminding him that X needs adjusting or Y needs re-setting, and then waiting... days? Months? Years? For him to actually do it. It's like pulling teeth.

Well, what is he spending his time doing if it's not VGC? Gamewise doesn't seem to be updated, either.

Not website stuff. I believe he makes his money from property nowadays. The sites run at break even point.

aken909 said:

Are you ever going to update PS4 with the numbers Sony gave at E3?

Yes, see Trunks' comment in this thread.

Jranation said:
Machina said:

Eh..... It would be nice to see its total in the homepage though.

It would, but it would mean making a call on whether it's current (and so competes for current gen market share) or next gen (and so we wait for a competitor to launch so that we can start a new market share graph). My view is that if we make that call right now we'll get slaughtered whichever way we go, so I'd rather just a wait and see. Maybe there won't be a consensus, maybe gens themselves will become obselete, in which case we'll need to think about how to redesign that part of the front page. In the meantime the total can be viewed in the weekly software charts.

Around the Network

ioi was last online 6 weeks ago. I wished he'd sell VGC and leave for good.

okr said:

Hmm, I'm not sure who'd even want to buy it!

Can I suggest when whatever it is is reset, you just bump up the numbers to the latest accurate figures, rather than waiting each week to publish information that is 4-8 weeks out of date, by now. 

I must admit I stopped coming when I saw the updates were not as regular as they used to be. Glad I saw this thread as it's explained quite a lot.

VGPolyglot said:
okr said:

Hmm, I'm not sure who'd even want to buy it!

He does get offers every now and then. Dunno how much for though, and I actually doubt it'd be good for the site if it was bought by a company that had no interest in the site's community.

CartBlanche said:

Can I suggest when whatever it is is reset, you just bump up the numbers to the latest accurate figures, rather than waiting each week to publish information that is 4-8 weeks out of date, by now. 

Each individual week needs to be done in order, so that's not possible.