Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's causing the delays in chart updates?

Hope you guys can sort this out soon :)

Around the Network

New console launches should be like Christmas for this site. Not having Switch on the front page until 2020 because of a forum debate over the definition of generation or messing up the market share numbers isn't good for the site.

Market share/'generation' isn't important. I'm guessing most of the new traffic the past few months is people looking for Switch numbers and to have them put in some context. I know where to find the numbers but for people like academic/media researchers, they wouldn't know where to start. The front page is not noob friendly.

Before any fanboy accusations, I'd say the same thing for any other console.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Machina said:

It would, but it would mean making a call on whether it's current (and so competes for current gen market share) or next gen (and so we wait for a competitor to launch so that we can start a new market share graph). My view is that if we make that call right now we'll get slaughtered whichever way we go, so I'd rather just a wait and see. Maybe there won't be a consensus, maybe gens themselves will become obselete, in which case we'll need to think about how to redesign that part of the front page. In the meantime the total can be viewed in the weekly software charts.

lol no one gives a shit about generations anymore

For me Gamespy and VGChartz were the most important sites for years. Now only VG is left. Hope this site gets better.

Teeqoz said:
You must be pretty new here.

just what i was thinking, lucky if we get 5 updates a year.

Around the Network

Brett is too busy driving his Maserati around. You'd think he would be driving a Ferrari around now from all the ad revenue.

sethnintendo said:
Brett is too busy driving his Maserati around. You'd think he would be driving a Ferrari around now from all the ad revenue.

IIRC he drives an Aston Martin, he once posted a picture of it. I think he owns at least 4 companies.

Beggin' for the 'chartz? I'll give you a veru important piece of advice in 3 words: BEG BRETT HARDER! 

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

seriously this gets asked every 3months now.

Someone put a disclaimer on the home page in big writing that answers the question

If you guys need a PHP coder or someone who knows SQL, let me know. I've coded whole sites from scratch in the past. IIRC I offered my services a year or so ago, last time there was a long break between chart updates. Or if you don't want to use me get Brett to pay a PHP guy to fix this stuff permanently.
Sounds like Brett like to keep tight control to the detriment of the VG community.
Alternatively the community could create another site where chart updates etc aren't delayed and then the community could migrate.