Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's causing the delays in chart updates?

It's getting ridiculous atm...the PS4 has been outselling the X1 since beginning of the year by 3:1, sometimes even more....and VGChartz still don't even seem to want to acknowledge it has been 2:1 in the overall stats. I've stopped taking this site serious long ago.



Around the Network

double post..sry.



Errorist76 said:

It's getting ridiculous atm...the PS4 has been outselling the X1 since beginning of the year by 3:1, sometimes even more....and VGChartz still don't even seem to want to acknowledge it has been 2:1 all in all. I've stopped taking this site serious long ago.

 

Errorist76 said:

It's getting ridiculous atm...the PS4 has been outselling the X1 since beginning of the year by 3:1, sometimes even more....and VGChartz still don't even seem to want to acknowledge it has been 2:1 In the overall stats. I've stopped taking this site serious long ago.

Then why are you here? 



AngryLittleAlchemist said:

 

Errorist76 said:

It's getting ridiculous atm...the PS4 has been outselling the X1 since beginning of the year by 3:1, sometimes even more....and VGChartz still don't even seem to want to acknowledge it has been 2:1 In the overall stats. I've stopped taking this site serious long ago.

Then why are you here? 

For interesting discussions, a more mature audience...Surely not the stats anymore...I remember times, not long ago, where the stats weren't just updated once in 4-6 weeks. But you're right...sometimes I ask myself the same question.

So one could say I came for the stats...I stayed for lovely people like you..muak :- () (I've been watching this site for many years without registering an account)



Pok87 said:
StarDoor said:

Here's a crappy mockup I made:

Consoles are arranged by release date, with the year added for context. Just add in relevant new hardware when it releases, and remove its predecessor.  Red = Nintendo, Blue = Sony, Green = Microsoft.

Numbers should be larger, but overall it looks very good.

If dropping percentages and gens from the chart is the best or only way this can be done at the present time, I would rather see a layout something like this rather than what is in use at the moment. The release dates do give somewhat of an indication what should fit into each gen. Since we know where Wii U stands basically (and could replace Wii in the Last Gen chart?), and XB1 and PS4 don't seem to be going anywhere for at least a few years, getting Switch up there makes sense.

Unless maybe a "Next Gen" chart could be made up with only Switch, that was an option to choose like Last Gen or Year-to-Date? Not sure which is harder to do or makes the most sense.



Around the Network
StarDoor said:

Here's a crappy mockup I made:

Consoles are arranged by release date, with the year added for context. Just add in relevant new hardware when it releases, and remove its predecessor.  Red = Nintendo, Blue = Sony, Green = Microsoft.

I'd be happy with this, with a couple of changes (rounded figures, like we use at present; and renaming the tab 'Current Platforms' or something like that, so that the market share percentages could be retained). Trunks is too. When Brett starts responding again I'll bring it up with him and try to get him to add Switch asap.



Machina said:

I'd be happy with this, with a couple of changes (rounded figures, like we use at present; and renaming the tab 'Current Platforms' or something like that, so that the market share percentages could be retained). Trunks is too. When Brett starts responding again I'll bring it up with him and try to get him to add Switch asap.

Would you combine handheld and home consoles sales for the market share percentages, or would you classify Switch as a home console and keep them separate?

I feel like there are a lot of issues either way. Maybe the percentages should just be on the Year-to-Date chart? That way, we could have a system where we don't have to remove hardware that's still selling well from the main chart just because it has a successor. For example, the PS2 was still relevant hardware after the PS3 released: It sold 40 million from 2007 to discontinuation, and actually shipped more in 2007 than the PS3.

New hardware should kick out the system that's selling the least on the main chart. So when the PS5 releases in 2020 or something, it would kick out the Vita instead of the PS4, because the PS4 is still likely to be selling multiple millions a year at that point. Then the Xbox 4 would kick out the 3DS, because it would have the slowest sales pace after the Vita, and then the Switch 2 would kick out the Xbox One.

So the current Year-to-Date chart would have these percentages:

NS 30.5%
PS4 40.9%
XOne 14.6%
PSV 3.1%
3DS 10.9%


Machina said:

I'd be happy with this, with a couple of changes (rounded figures, like we use at present; and renaming the tab 'Current Platforms' or something like that, so that the market share percentages could be retained). Trunks is too. When Brett starts responding again I'll bring it up with him and try to get him to add Switch asap.

I suggest that you move on to "Current Main Platforms of Major Players", because that describes it best. All that would be shown are PS4, XB1 and Switch. Everything else should be moved to a tab that is called "Older Systems" or something like that.

The market share percentages should be dropped because they aren't as clear cut as in the past. Previously there were 100% for home consoles and 100% for handhelds, but with the Switch being both, are you going to list Switch along the PS4 and XB1 to display the home console market share and then list the Switch a second time on its own because it has 100% in the handheld market? Or are you going to be bullies and pretend that the portable gaming market doesn't exist anymore?



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:
Machina said:

I'd be happy with this, with a couple of changes (rounded figures, like we use at present; and renaming the tab 'Current Platforms' or something like that, so that the market share percentages could be retained). Trunks is too. When Brett starts responding again I'll bring it up with him and try to get him to add Switch asap.

I suggest that you move on to "Current Main Platforms of Major Players", because that describes it best. All that would be shown are PS4, XB1 and Switch. Everything else should be moved to a tab that is called "Older Systems" or something like that.

The market share percentages should be dropped because they aren't as clear cut as in the past. Previously there were 100% for home consoles and 100% for handhelds, but with the Switch being both, are you going to list Switch along the PS4 and XB1 to display the home console market share and then list the Switch a second time on its own because it has 100% in the handheld market? Or are you going to be bullies and pretend that the portable gaming market doesn't exist anymore?

 

StarDoor said:
Machina said:

I'd be happy with this, with a couple of changes (rounded figures, like we use at present; and renaming the tab 'Current Platforms' or something like that, so that the market share percentages could be retained). Trunks is too. When Brett starts responding again I'll bring it up with him and try to get him to add Switch asap.

Would you combine handheld and home consoles sales for the market share percentages, or would you classify Switch as a home console and keep them separate?

I feel like there are a lot of issues either way. Maybe the percentages should just be on the Year-to-Date chart? That way, we could have a system where we don't have to remove hardware that's still selling well from the main chart just because it has a successor. For example, the PS2 was still relevant hardware after the PS3 released: It sold 40 million from 2007 to discontinuation, and actually shipped more in 2007 than the PS3.

New hardware should kick out the system that's selling the least on the main chart. So when the PS5 releases in 2020 or something, it would kick out the Vita instead of the PS4, because the PS4 is still likely to be selling multiple millions a year at that point. Then the Xbox 4 would kick out the 3DS, because it would have the slowest sales pace after the Vita, and then the Switch 2 would kick out the Xbox One.

So the current Year-to-Date chart would have these percentages:

NS 30.5%
PS4 40.9%
XOne 14.6%
PSV 3.1%
3DS 10.9%

These posts are rather good illustrations of why I’ve been reluctant to push Brett to add Switch to the chart on the front page up to now. On the one hand everyone says it’s ridiculous that an incredibly popular new system is going unrepresented (agreed), on the other because it’s not easily categorised in terms of generation and market it means that no matter how we choose to categorise it people will complain. TheDX says 'lol, no one gives a shit about generations anymore', well apparently they do...

The rather simplistic solution first provided by StarDoor initially appealed to me, but needed some slight tweaking to fit the site’s format, but now even the originator of said solution is finding problems with it, so what hope is there for the wider community to agree to it?

The newer solutions are so convoluted that they would just create more problems. StarDoor’s is to remove lifetime to-date market shares completely and go with just year to-date, while at the same time combining handheld and home console market share. You think that won’t be even more controversial than just switching out WiiU for Switch?

And Rol’s is to remove the market shares entirely because one platform has blurred the lines too much. What visual do we use instead if we’re doing away with market shares? Do we remove the bar charts entirely? And if not then by retaining them we’re invariably making some call on market share. And finally if it means a total redesign rather than simply adding the Switch logo and adjusting the figures accordingly, who is going to design that?



Machina said:

These posts are rather good illustrations of why I’ve been reluctant to push Brett to add Switch to the chart on the front page up to now. On the one hand everyone says it’s ridiculous that an incredibly popular new system is going unrepresented (agreed), on the other because it’s not easily categorised in terms of generation and market it means that no matter how we choose to categorise it people will complain. TheDX says 'lol, no one gives a shit about generations anymore', well apparently they do...

The rather simplistic solution first provided by StarDoor initially appealed to me, but needed some slight tweaking to fit the site’s format, but now even the originator of said solution is finding problems with it, so what hope is there for the wider community to agree to it?

The newer solutions are so convoluted that they would just create more problems. StarDoor’s is to remove lifetime to-date market shares completely and go with just year to-date, while at the same time combining handheld and home console market share. You think that won’t be even more controversial than just switching out WiiU for Switch?

And Rol’s is to remove the market shares entirely because one platform has blurred the lines too much. What visual do we use instead if we’re doing away with market shares? Do we remove the bar charts entirely? And if not then by retaining them we’re invariably making some call on market share. And finally if it means a total redesign rather than simply adding the Switch logo and adjusting the figures accordingly, who is going to design that?

You can keep the bars, but you don't list market share percentages anymore. That way you won't have to put Switch twice on the frontpage.

I know it's unfortunate, but there is not a simple solution when the number of platforms has been reduced from five to three. Nintendo combined their home console and handheld while Sony exited the handheld market. It's a small section of the frontpage, so I cannot imagine that it would be a lot of work to implement a new design. Convincing Brett to get it done is the hard part.

StarDoor had a good idea when he put release years under the bars for console sales. I can also get behind the idea of using market share percentages for year to date sales that include consoles from two different generations.

Change is always going to be controversial and you are never going to please everyone. But it's a fact that change happened and you won't get around the new circumstances in the video game console market. You have to figure out what makes the most sense going forward. What are you going to do when the PS5 launches? If you keep market share percentages and then swap the PS5 for the PS4 on the frontpage, Sony's market share would drop from ~60% to under 5%. Removing market share percentages is going to be a lesser evil than retaining them.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club