By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon 2 file size is reportedly only 3.1GB !

vivster said:
God bless games that don't need textures.

Honestly Im starting to think maybe all this focus on 4k textures ect isnt really needed.

It baloons the size of games up to insane amounts.

geometry can do alot on its own.

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/06/26/xbox-one-x-installs-huge-4k-patches-even-without-4k-tv/

100 GB+ game sizes will be the norm for the Xbox One X, if it ships with 4k textures.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
vivster said:
God bless games that don't need textures.

Honestly Im starting to think maybe all this focus on 4k textures ect isnt really needed.

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/06/26/xbox-one-x-installs-huge-4k-patches-even-without-4k-tv/

100 GB+ game sizes will be the norm for the Xbox One X, if it ships with 4k textures.

Some games profit from it. There is nothing inherently wrong with gigantic game sizes due to high quality textures.

But yeah, depending on how fast the file sizes are exploding, devs should offer their highest quality assets as optional download. I think shadow of Mordor did that in the past.

Give it a decade and TB sized games may be the norm.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

COKTOE said:
Barkley said:

Well it's not multiplayer-only... but CoD is 50gb+ Halo 5 is like 100gb.

The reason it's small is there isn't tons of high-resolution textures. The art style the game uses lends itself to a smaller filesize.

Meanwhile CoD would use 3gb+ skybox textures alone.

Splatoon 2 has a campaign then? I really haven't followed it closely.

Splatoon already had its singleplayer mode it's a mix between shooting and platforming 

vivster said:
JRPGfan said:

Some games profit from it. There is nothing inherently wrong with gigantic game sizes due to high quality textures.

But yeah, depending on how fast the file sizes are exploding, devs should offer their highest quality assets as optional download. I think shadow of Mordor did that in the past.

Give it a decade and TB sized games may be the norm.

Thank goodness the PS6 will come with two 4TB hard-drives so we can hold two and a half games on it. :p

Luke888 said:
COKTOE said:

Splatoon 2 has a campaign then? I really haven't followed it closely.

Splatoon already had its singleplayer mode it's a mix between shooting and platforming 

Yeah, I just watched some Splatoon 2 single player on youtube. Like I mentioned, I haven't followed it closely. Neither the original or the sequel.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games.

That's like 3 times bigger than the first game at launch. A bit too big.

Dr.Vita said:
Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games.

Difference in storage size, indeed.

COKTOE said:
Aren't multiplayer-only shooters generally a bit smaller in file size than most other genres?

No big worlds, only some levels that are played again and again - so yes, this is to be expected. Single player content probably needs more space.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Dr.Vita said:

It shows the difference in care and ability to compress their games?Or to fill your harddrive?

Please elaborate!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1