By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon 2 file size is reportedly only 3.1GB !

According to the listing on the European Nintendo E-shop Splatoon 2 will be an extremely small addition, in terms of space, to the libraries of its purchasers, in fact the game is supposedly only 3.1GB, less than twice the size of the original Splatoon at launch!

The file size for Splatoon 2 was originally listed by Amazon Japan as 5.5GB a few months ago which means either an error occurred with Amazon's listing or Nintendo did a great job of compression, Splatoon 2 is scheduled to release later this month on the 21st of July exclusively on Nintendo Switch .

source

Around the Network

Another black magic confirmed

A handheld gamer only (for now).

God bless games that don't need textures.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I have some cognitive dissonance here. My second own computer had a 500MB harddrive. And I thought back then: no way I can fill that. Now a single game is sized 6 times as big and this is attributed with 'only'.

I recently started again playing the original UFO (Enemy Unknown) and Heroes of Might and Magic 3. The first game is 19MB and the second already gigantic 0.9 GB big. Great games, both, playable still today.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
I have some cognitive dissonance here. My second own computer had a 500MB harddrive. And I thought back then: no way I can fill that. Now a single game is sized 6 times as big and this is attributed with 'only'.

I recently started again playing the original UFO (Enemy Unknown) and Heroes of Might and Magic 3. The first game is 19MB and the second already gigantic 0.9 GB big. Great games, both, playable still today.

Yea but Nintendo compared to pretty much everyone else compresses and optimizes games better. There are games now that easily do 50-100gigs because of lazy developers.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
Mnementh said:

Yea but Nintendo compared to pretty much everyone else compresses and optimizes games better. There are games now that easily do 50-100gigs because of lazy developers.

Yeah, I know. It only shows how old I am.

But maybe I should stick to my old games, because today it seems discussion is only about if a game can show three polygons more or has more pixels. As if that would in any way define the quality of a game. Yeah, sure, nice looking game looks nice. But real quality means I can go and play the game again ten years later and still have a blast, like it happens currently with UFO and Heroes of Might and Magic. Graphical top-games of that time are mostly forgotten.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

Remember when a 10 MB patch was considered big? When updates were like 1% of the whole game's size? Now we have 50 GB games with 5 GB updates that often don't even add almost anything visual to the game. That's 10% of the whole game. It's ridiculous.

Aren't multiplayer-only shooters generally a bit smaller in file size than most other genres?

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
Aren't multiplayer-only shooters generally a bit smaller in file size than most other genres?

Well it's not multiplayer-only... but CoD is 50gb+ Halo 5 is like 100gb.

The reason it's small is there isn't tons of high-resolution textures. The art style the game uses lends itself to a smaller filesize.

Meanwhile CoD would use 3gb+ for skybox textures alone.

Barkley said:
COKTOE said:

Well it's not multiplayer-only... but CoD is 50gb+ Halo 5 is like 100gb.

The reason it's small is there isn't tons of high-resolution textures. The art style the game uses lends itself to a smaller filesize.

Meanwhile CoD would use 3gb+ skybox textures alone.

Splatoon 2 has a campaign then? I really haven't followed it closely.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."