By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon 2 file size is reportedly only 3.1GB !

Dr.Vita said:
Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games.

Interesting, how much more fun can be generated out of a much smaller file.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
Barkley said:

Well it's not multiplayer-only... but CoD is 50gb+ Halo 5 is like 100gb.

The reason it's small is there isn't tons of high-resolution textures. The art style the game uses lends itself to a smaller filesize.

Meanwhile CoD would use 3gb+ skybox textures alone.

Splatoon 2 has a campaign then? I really haven't followed it closely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=869_lwZfyTo

Splatoon 1 also had a campaign, was only 5ish hours give or take.

I wish that other publishers compressed their games like this, it's really much more convenient than having a 500GB hard drive but still not having enough room to install my games.

Since it going to get free updates, we can expect it to go up. But probably not much.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

jason1637 said:
That's like 3 times bigger than the first game at launch. A bit too big.

As I mentioned in the OP it's less than twice as much as the first game at launch, Splatoon was 1.812GB so Splatoon 2 is 0.5GB from being twice as big as Splatoon

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
I have some cognitive dissonance here. My second own computer had a 500MB harddrive. And I thought back then: no way I can fill that. Now a single game is sized 6 times as big and this is attributed with 'only'.

I recently started again playing the original UFO (Enemy Unknown) and Heroes of Might and Magic 3. The first game is 19MB and the second already gigantic 0.9 GB big. Great games, both, playable still today.

Dude, how can you call those games great if they don't have 50gb of uncompressed 4k textures, pre-rendered cg movies and voice acting in 8 different languages?

wombat123 said:
Mnementh said:
I have some cognitive dissonance here. My second own computer had a 500MB harddrive. And I thought back then: no way I can fill that. Now a single game is sized 6 times as big and this is attributed with 'only'.

I recently started again playing the original UFO (Enemy Unknown) and Heroes of Might and Magic 3. The first game is 19MB and the second already gigantic 0.9 GB big. Great games, both, playable still today.

Dude, how can you call those games great if they don't have 50gb of uncompressed 4k textures, pre-rendered cg movies and voice acting in 8 different languages?

Actually, now I know why Heroes of Might and Magic is that big, some compaigns actually have voice acting.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Damn. Zelda is still the biggest game I own. Xenoblade 2 will probably hit 32gb, but overall I'm pretty sure 128gb will take me a long way

They better be this small with only 32gb on Switch

Mnementh said:
Dr.Vita said:
Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games.

Interesting, how much more fun can be generated out of a much smaller file.

^^^^^