By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/8-of-developers-in-a-gdc-survey-say-theyre-working-on-nintendos-next-console/

Out of 3,000 developers surveyed 8% said they were currently working on a title for Nintendo's next console.

Around the Network
Zippy6 said:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/8-of-developers-in-a-gdc-survey-say-theyre-working-on-nintendos-next-console/

Out of 3,000 developers surveyed 8% said they were currently working on a title for Nintendo's next console.

Switch 2 could take until Holiday 2025 and there would still be games in development right now. 2022 is the latest I could see the first Switch 2 games starting development. 

That's still a cool breakdown, though. There are a lot of devs still making games for PS4 and Xbox One (the past hardware instead of the future we're looking at) and I like that as well. But interestingly enough Switch is tied with Xbox One and PS4 is below both a little. 

I would not be surprised if a ton of these devs make big games (the article mentions big game developers all the way down to smaller indies) since Xbox Series and PS5 are way above older systems. Of course, PC is king here due to being an open platform. 

I have a very good feeling third-party support will still be robust on Switch for a while, even if the more ambitious ports come to a screeching halt. We'll have to see what Nintendo does. Sony and Microsoft have shown how big they are into cross-gen first-party games, but Nintendo has plenty of reason not to (their pedigree of first-party games). On the other hand, SNES had some cross-gen games like Yoshi's Cookie and Wario's Woods. However cross-gen wasn't really the same back then. Graphics and such looked way different to the eye between the versions. And of course, we have the famous Zelda examples of Twlight Princess and Breath of the Wild.

Metroid Prime 4 really should be cross-gen. There's almost no way when development restarted (confirmed January 2019) for Prime 4 that they were using a Switch 2 dev kit. If they make it a Switch 2 exclusive, it would be a case of shifting platforms during development and neglecting the originally announced platform. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

BasilZero said:
Mar1217 said:

In that way I can also see them doing this for FFIX because they prolly don't want the lul between FF be too big.

I could have sworn there was a rumor stating it got internally delayed due to some backend decisions (which aligns with the recent report of them downsizing on AA and smaller titles like remasters).

Which on pure potential gaming sake would piss me off because I think their output has never been this better since the golden years of SquareSoft. Now it'll be simply back to here's a FF here and there, one of their neglected IP for the occasion and pretty much it for a while. 

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Zippy6 said:

I'm still waiting to hear from Nintendo on the matter.

CaptainExplosion said:
Zippy6 said:

Which they won't until at the least after we've had the next Nintendo Direct.

Around the Network

Btb, I did my research and it seems like the remake of Another Code Recollection was handled by Arc System Works.

A lot of the devs who were part of the defunct Cing, now works for them. Like the lead visual artist for example.

Wouldn't be surprised to see another association between and Nintendo in the future again.

So it does make sense

Mar1217 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Any idea when that is?

Also anyone besides me want Louie eaten by a Bulborb in the next Pikmin?

CaptainExplosion said:
Mar1217 said:

Any idea when that is?

First Ninty Directs are usually in February so it won't be before that or March at the most extreme where we'll know most of their software planning for the year. 

After that point, maybe we'll have the very first info on a successor Switch during their fiscal end of the year Q&A in April. 

Wether we here anything about it is up in the air though.

Mar1217 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Any idea when that is?

First Ninty Directs are usually in February so it won't be before that or March at the most extreme where we'll know most of their software planning for the year. 

After that point, maybe we'll have the very first info on a successor Switch during their fiscal end of the year Q&A in April. 

April 1st is a Monday this year. Wouldn't it be a big troll move to have a Direct or something right on that day with a bunch of "too good to be true" announcements but they are true? 

Then again, that's super quick to make big announcements the day after the end of a fiscal year and presumably 1 month or more after a Nintendo Direct. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:
Mar1217 said:

April 1st is a Monday this year. Wouldn't it be a big troll move to have a Direct or something right on that day with a bunch of "too good to be true" announcements but they are true? 

Then again, that's super quick to make big announcements the day after the end of a fiscal year and presumably 1 month or more after a Nintendo Direct. 

The only joke I'd accept from them on April 1st would be actually announcing the release of the next Open World Mario game ... But it's a GTA Clone. 

Full of "gangsterism", Toad stripers and Bowser has the leader of a mushroom drug cartel !