By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How do you describe the Nintendo Switch to a layperson?

Dante9 said:
monocle_layton said:

No one gives a shit about your biased opinion either ¯_(ツ)_/¯

There's a difference between a description and an opinion. Had they asked for an opinion, the thread would've asked.

Many people on here probably have issues with the switch, but they don't mention it for a clear reason

What about positive bias, is that allowed or just as big of a mistake?

Anyways, the question was about describing Switch to a layperson, not to this forum, right? I don't think it's the business of this forum to moderate how its members would describe things to people IRL. You might not like his opinion, and his opinion might be unfounded, but then that's a different matter entirely.

As I said, his opinion specifically isn't the issue. Not to sound like a broken record, but one usually doesn't add in their own opinion when describing something to a layperson. Explanations are usually meant to be the bare minimum. pricing, games, and everything else is subjective.

If a person asked me what an iPhone is, I won't say it's "an overpriced phone with a garbage OS. It is good, but pretty overrated". It's a terrible explanation and gives an unsatisfying response. Why is the OS garbage? Why is it overrated? Isn't it just a phone? 

You may tell yourself that everyone knows what an iPhone is, but what if your 90 year old granny with a Nokia asked you about it? A more appropriate response would be "It is a smartphone", there and done. If they don't know what makes a smartphone smart, then I could give a simple explanation. 

In this case, the granny would be a casual gamer whose gaming experience is Angry Birds and Pokemon on their broken Gameboy. You gain nothing from inserting your opinions, good or bad. I'd be rather pissed if I asked for help from a tech guy and he starts giving his thoughts when I ask for an explanation/description. 

Whether you think the Switch is the holy grail or rubbish, describing it to a layperson shouldn't mention the games, price, or anything else. As I said, it's subjective. "The Switch is a handheld and console hybrid which lets you play games at home and on the go" would be an example of a reasonable description. Could it be worded differently? Sure, but realize how no personal opinion is injected into it. 

He can keep going on about how we're persecuting him for hating Nintendo or whatever. The reality is he put his opinion in when it wasn't necessary.

Around the Network

"Think of it as a slightly more powerful PS3 or 360 that you can take with you like a DS or Game Boy. And you get the Nintendo Switch."

The most powerful handheld that you can dock with your TV, and will be home to all the Nintendo exclusives,  

A machine you can play games with either on TV or on the go.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

It's Nintendo's newest console that you can easily take on the road as a portable.

Around the Network

Tablet-ish sized system with controllers that can break off for 2 player play.

When at home you can put it into a dock and play on your TV like a normal console.

Has Nintendo games.

Bingo, bango, bongo.

maxleresistant said:
monocle_layton said:

No one gives a shit about your biased opinion either ¯_(ツ)_/¯

There's a difference between a description and an opinion. Had they asked for an opinion, the thread would've asked.

Many people on here probably have issues with the switch, but they don't mention it for a clear reason

Lol I never said anyone should care about my opinion. But the question was "how do you describe it to a layperson", I am not going to describe it saying it's a great system with great features when I don't think it is.

Nevertheless, when it will have more games and a decent price, I will probably describe differently.  

As people have said your throwing in opinions.

A description is just that, a description of the product. Take movies. Go to Rotten tomoates or IMDB, or any article prior to relase. They have paragraph that describes the movies premise/story. If someone asks for a description of a movie, you would give them said description so as to not "spoil" the movie for them if you have seen it.

They didn't ask fora  review or a rotten tomatoes score or anything. They want a description. What is a Switch.

It's a hybrid. It's a console that you can take on the go. It's a handheld that you can plug into the TV. However you decide to describe it, one needs to leave out any personal bias. If they later ask what you think of it, then you can give your opinion on its price, games and other features.

Versus_Evil said:
How do you describe the Nintendo Switch to a layperson in very, very simple terms?

"its a playstation"

Funny enough, to the truly layperson out there, descriptions like this are true. For the longest time any video game system handheld or console was a "Nintendo". Now it is a "Playstation".

I swear those layperson don't even know the term video game system, or realize there is more htan one. They think they are all the same and all from the same company, ect. Depending on the generation, if they see a video game being played, it could be a PS4, gameboy or even an arcade and they would be like "oh that is one them Nintendo's", or "that is one them playstations"

Nintendo home console you can take anywhere.

Powerful but oversized handheld with optional TV output and detachable controllers.