By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 80+ Million Switches Need to be Sold in 5 Years or it's a Failure

Hmm, selling the 3DS at a loss for quite some time and selling the Wii U at a loss for a couple of years, small installed base on the home console front with a fairly low attach rate overall and no presence in mobile sector.

Selling fewer units than the combined 3DS+Wii U paired with a growing presence in mobile and decent profit margins on hardware combined with eventual heightened software output due to streamlining and combining libraries that causes higher attach rates and thus better profit margins.

Number two seems better to me, Nintendo's economical prospects are a lot better right now than they were ever during the rather loathsome 8th gen for them.

Bottom line; Switch doesn't need 80 million plus to be a success, depending on certain factors, I'd argue that even half that could be counted as a success, doubly so considering the market it competes in and its form factor that puts it dangerously close to the most dominant force the consumer electronics market has ever seen.

Around the Network

I bought a WiiU and four 3DS over time. I highly doubt I'll buy five Switches or even near that. I think I'm not alone. So smaller sales doesn't mean smaller userbase. I think above 50 million it covers about the userbase of 3DS and WiiU.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

DroidKnight said:
the_dengle said:
But why

Nintendo needs to show a positive move in the market. Any decrease in numbers will not be viewed upon as a good thing.

Jeez, isn't the great momentum of the Switch enough proof that Nintendo are making positive moves within the market. Or is this thread created to rile Nintendo fans.

ktay95 said:

Fuck me, guess the industry really is dead hey.

Sony are down

Microsoft are down 

Nintendo are down

Is anyone on the up??

Doom

Doom is always on the rise.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

zippy said:
DroidKnight said:

Nintendo needs to show a positive move in the market. Any decrease in numbers will not be viewed upon as a good thing.

Jeez, isn't the great momentum of the Switch enough proof that Nintendo are making positive moves within the market. Or is this thread created to rile Nintendo fans.

That and optics :>

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

Listen, Op, I'm not a fan of Nintendo, not at all, I don't much like the switch, either.

Unlike some here I'm not going to point you to weekly sales and act as if that means anything because it doesn't, other than "low stock high demand", as I pointed out in another thread, the first 8 weeks sales data is always a trainwreck, it's in months 3 and 4 that the platform establishes it's baseline, never before., but even saying that, I still think if they sell even 8m in the first year then it'll be doing perfectly fine.

Ganoncrotch said:
zippy said:

That and optics :>

Wow thanks, I never usually win anything. Go me!!! whoo hooo

Ka-pi96 said:

Not really. Aside from the fact that the whole "must beat predecessor" concept is flawed in the first place... the PS4 only needs to beat the PS3. The Vita is the PSP successor, and is a definite failure. But the Vita being a failure doesn't transfer over to the PS4.

He's being sarcastic.

Success in the market is determined by profitability. For example, even though the Wii sold 55 million fewer units than the DS, because it generated more profit, it was more successful.

Either way, depending on its lifespan and how generations work out, Switch is 100M+ console under the current model.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Ka-pi96 said:
Wyrdness said:

He's being sarcastic.

Well I'd like to think the OP is too... but it's hard to tell these days

Point taken, I assume he's being sarcastic anyway as the's no way to class the PS4 as anything other than a success.