By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 80+ Million Switches Need to be Sold in 5 Years or it's a Failure

I'm bumping this 3 days earlier than I was planning, but the week has been hectic so I'll do it now so I don't forget.

We are now at the 5 year mark and the Nintendo Switch was able to clear the arbitrary bar that I set for it for me to consider it a success.  Nintendo's achievements with the Switch I believe has strengthened its foothold in the console market and will have great momentum behind it when the Switch 2 is released.

After re-reading through all the posts in the thread the following one was my favorite and I think best exemplifies where I was at the time of making this thread. 

Soundwave said:

More realistically for Switch ....

Under 30 million: Failure/flop.

30-40 million: Large Disappointment

40-55 million: Lukewarm But Profitable

60-80 million: Not Bad to a Solid "Good"

80-100 million: Successful to Quite Successful

100+ million: Very Successful

150 million: Phenonmenon

Much congrats to the Switch and well deserved.  I can't wait to see when the passing of the 150 million mark will occur.  

Referencing the OP:

Not only did I buy the Switch for Xenoblade but went on to add the rest of these.  I still need to add Monster Hunter Rise, Xenoblade III, and BOTW 2 for me to call it complete.  Now if I just had the time to play them.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network

Ah yes, one of these old threads that were filled with hamster posts.

As for the topic itself, 80m turned out to be a low hurdle.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

RolStoppable said:

You were at least one that believed that 80 plus million would easily be achieved, many others were lowering the bar.  Well done.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

RolStoppable said:

People like Quickrick, Lawlight & Potatohamster being gone has made this site so much more boring.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
RolStoppable said:

People like Quickrick, Lawlight & Potatohamster being gone has made this site so much more boring.

It's like the irrational drama has fallen off a cliff.

Around the Network
megaman79 said:

Bookmarking for crow in 5 years.

Crow!

Seems like interest in the Nintendo brand is still very high.
Gotta say these discussions on these old threads are really interesting. So many ignorant people.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
zorg1000 said:

It's like the irrational drama has fallen off a cliff.

Yep lol there is just something so entertaining about people talking out of their asses and making nonsense predictions based on their personal opinion of a company rather than any sort of data, on a website dedicated to data.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
RolStoppable said:

Yep I do wonder what Quickrick would've said in response to the Switch taking off in 2020. While too much of it is bad a bit of ridiculousness can add a lot of entertainment value.

Norion said:
zorg1000 said:

Yep I do wonder what Quickrick would've said in response to the Switch taking off in 2020. While too much of it is bad a bit of ridiculousness can add a lot of entertainment value.

Clearly those sales don’t count because of the pandemic. People were forced to buy a video game console they didn’t want because everything was shut down.