By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 80+ Million Switches Need to be Sold in 5 Years or it's a Failure

3DS and WiiU were both sold at a loss for a good part of their life cycle. Switch is being sold at a profit since launch.

Financially speaking, I have no doubt that the Switch will be a better success. Sales-wise though, I'm not sure.

Around the Network
DroidKnight said:
Maxkill said:
I dont think that 70 millions of consoles sold will be a failure,but the Nintendo case is very special,they had two markets:Home console and handheld,now they merged into Switch,i dont think they gonna sell like the wii+Nintendo DS,neither Wii U + nintendo 3ds.

Again I think optics is important, that would appear as a 10 million Nintendo user base decline.

Well first, as others have said Nintendo does not need to hit that mark to be growing and profiting financially.

Otherwise, you seem to be forgetting that Nintendo is now dabbling in mobile phones; I just read a rumor this morning, for instance, that there may be a Zelda title on the way.

Oh, and a few years from now they'll be in many theme parks as well... and have already featured quite prominently in the next Olympics. If brand awareness and "optics" are your biggest concern, it's probably unwarranted; if anything, Nintendo looks like it will be growing its brand significantly in the coming years.

Nintendo just need to get it down in price early on in its lifetime, to keep momentum of sales going.
It cant sell the Switch for 100$ more than the PS4 or XB1 (they can, but shouldnt).

I expect Nintendo by holidays to have a bundled 1st party game (mario oddessey) and a 50$ price drop.
Then they just have to keep pushing out great games.

Who the fuck are you to judge consoles success?

JRPGfan said:
Nintendo just need to get it down in price early on in its lifetime, to keep momentum of sales going.
It cant sell the Switch for 100$ more than the PS4 or XB1 (they can, but shouldnt).

I expect Nintendo by holidays to have a bundled 1st party game (mario oddessey) and a 50$ price drop.

Not gonna happen, there is zero reason to have price cut in 1st year when console is selling, and Switch is selling great and actual Nintendo can't keep up with demand, its selling much better than Nintendo initaly planed with same price point, and with more must have games and great marketing and word of mouth Switch is becoming even more desired console buy time passes. Best you can hope for holiday season is MK8D bundle for $300 (hardly they will bundle huge big new game like Mario Odyssey for holiday season). Price cut probably for holiday season 2018.

Also Nintendo talked at Investitor meeting how costs of production for ordered Switch consoles for this year cant go down, so profitability will be same for whole FY. In other words they will make same amount of profit on evre Switch sold this year, and price cut is only possible for next year when costs of Switch manufacturing go down.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

Thats not happening. MK8 would be the bundle compared to mario oddesy as it would be the new game at that time. (Splat2 i can see as well)

As for price drop, thats 100% not happening this year. Its already May and the switch in alot of places WW is still sold out and in high demand (despite ps4/x1 lower in price). Why would they cut the price when its still being completely sold out? Even if demand comes to an end by next month or 2 itll still be in a position that its selling well. 

I think the only consoles to ever be this bad supply restaint were ps4/wii. That says something

Miyamotoo said:
JRPGfan said:

Not gonna happen, there is zero reason to have price cut in 1st year when console is selling, and Switch is selling great and actual Nintendo can't keep up with demand, its selling much better than Nintendo initaly planed with same price point, and with more must have games and great marketing and word of mouth Switch is becoming even more desired console buy time passes. Best you can hope for holiday season is MK8D bundle for $300 (hardly they will bundle huge big new game like Mario Odyssey for holiday season). Price cut probably for holiday season 2018.

Also Nintendo talked at Investitor meeting how costs of production for ordered Switch consoles for this year cant be go down, so profitability will be same for whole FY. In other words they will make same amount of profit on evre Switch sold this year, and price cut is only possible for next year when costs of Switch manufacturing go down.

There is.... their competition is selling a home console too, thats like 5 times as powerfull for 100$ less bundled with a great game.

I think it effects sales, but I guess if you "look at it" from nintendos point of view, and just profits your right.

I think of it as a consumer though, I want nintendo to sell alot of units, and dont care about their profits (they have so much money already just sitting around doing nothing). I want them to build up a huge amount of unit sales, and get great support for the system.  Best way to do that, is by trying to compete and not "ignore" the PS4 & XB1.

".....and actual Nintendo can't keep up with demand"

They should fix that asap, if its a matter they have any controll over (ei. ramp up production).

Another flaw with the argument is that the 3DS didn't end immediately when the Switch dropped (New Nintendo 2DS, anyone?).

JRPGfan said:
Miyamotoo said:

Also Nintendo talked at Investitor meeting how costs of production for ordered Switch consoles for this year cant be go down, so profitability will be same for whole FY. In other words they will make same amount of profit on evre Switch sold this year, and price cut is only possible for next year when costs of Switch manufacturing go down.

There is.... their competition is selling a home console too, thats like 5 times as powerfull for 100$ less bundled with a great game.

I think it effects sales, but I guess if you "look at it" from nintendos point of view, and just profits your right.

I think of it as a consumer though, I want nintendo to sell alot of units, and dont care about their profits (they have so much money already just sitting around doing nothing). I want them to build up a huge amount of unit sales, and get great support for the system.  Best way to do that, is by trying to compete and not "ignore" the PS4 & XB1.

Yes, and Switch its still otsold 2.5 monts after launch on most markets despite PS4/XB1. You need to realise that Switch like hybrid and great and must have games like curently Zelda BotW and MK8D, has own value compared to PS4/XB1.

Even from consumer point, it's obvious that Switch is selling great and actually better than Nintendo expected, and Nintendo cant still keep up with demand for Switch, so there is no reason for price cut in 1st year on market (consoles that sells really are receiving price cut in 1st year). Also Switch will release two more huge system sellers this year, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey, that will keep up with momentum and demand.

I consider it success if it manage to sell 50 million in 5 years.