By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Splatoon 2 Testfire runs at 530p undocked and 720p when docked

Barkley said:
Goodnightmoon said:

It does, when you make a screenshot of Zelda it looks jaggie as fuck, however you don't see those jaggies at all on portable mode, even if the screenshot is of the same size as the screen.

No JPEG compression doesn't do that. If the screenshots have jaggies while the gameplay does not something else is at play. Bad Image scaling for example, though that should only happen if the screenshot is a different resolution to the game.

Found another screenshot that was taken recently, this one doesn't have the Aliasing issues, it's not a good looker but it's much better then the image shown in the OP.

That's way closer to how the game looks undocked on the little screen

I just say you what I see, Zelda looks perfect in portable mode, but when you take a screenshot suddlenly has a lot of jaggies, on the screen looks similar to his but with more vibrant colors:

However then screenshots on portable mode look like this 

That level of jaggies are not visible when you are playing on the console in any mode, they are not even that bad on WiiU.

Around the Network

Don't understand the buzz. Playing the game in dock and undocked mode I didn't see a difference. My focus was entirely on playing the game.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

I watched quite a bit of footage and the game looked great. Thats all that really matters to me.

If that is the final resolution and it is fixed at 530p/720p, it's quite a bit underwhelming. The original Wii U version had a poor IQ since it doesn't had any AA. MK8 on Wii U also suffered from jaggies more akin to PS3 games with bad AA. A lot of people are saying that 530p is acceptable for portable mode because that's basically Vita's resolution. I don't think that's a good justification since Vita is a 2011 device, so it is going for its 6th year now. 720p docked would be acceptable since a lot of X1 games do it, but the lack of AA is not good. Even FXAA would do wonders.

However, it is a beta. FFXV also used crappy resolution on the beta, it's a common practice since they just want to test servers and find bugs. As long as the final version ups it a bit or adds AA, I don't see many problems. The game also apparently used dynamic resolution, so that could mean that the screen was just grabbed during a low res moment. Also, it's not uncommon for dynamic-res games to have some bugs with scaling during betas, so it ends up reducing resolution way too much. So it's better to wait for the final version and for DF to take a look at it before throwing stones.

Anyway, Nintendo isn't going for visuals anymore. So there's no point in discussing technical aspects of their games because they will always look bad compared to games in other platforms. The best they can do is a good art style, but that alone can't save the visuals of a game. It's just not their focus since the Wii.

Around the Network

What's the problem? It looks great!

Flilix said:
What's the problem? It looks great!

The same problem as always, people that hasn't tried one thing making a drama about numbers on a paper. Who cares if the game looked good as long as numbers are low.

last92 said:
If this is true, it's unacceptable. It's 2017 for God's sake. The game isn't even so demanding, how is this even possible?

LOL. You ask if it is true, so you can't notice the difference. How does it impact your experience if you can't notice?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

So the same resolution as CoD, Battlefield, MGSV, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct and PES 2015 on the XB1? http://uk.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

Travesty.

To think I was enjoying the demo and all along it was only 720p. I feel dirty.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Boberkun said:
SegataSanshiro said:
I swear OP only makes topics to shit on Nintendo in some way every time.

Nintendo deserve it though.

I could have sworn I am not on N4G but with these comments I must be.