By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Splatoon 2 Testfire runs at 530p undocked and 720p when docked

If this is true, it's unacceptable. It's 2017 for God's sake. The game isn't even so demanding, how is this even possible?

Around the Network

Wow...that is a jagged blurry mess both docked and undocked...

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

last92 said:
How is this even possible?

Devs have no idea how to optimize games on Shiitch hardware.

User was moderated for this post, among others

-Super Boom

Barkley said:
Goodnightmoon said:

The docked version looks fantastic on a 6" screen, is theorized that the game uses a dynamic resoilution to make sure the game never fallas below 60fps and it may just be using a lower resolution to save battery too, in any case, this games doesn't need more as long as it does good, I may have to remid you that a sub 720p game like Fast Racing Neo is running at 1080p on Switch with better framerate in all modes, and Mk8 has doen also a jump from 720p to 1080p despite the fact that it was already using most reasources of WiiU hartdware.

Why would you be playing the Switch docked on a 6" Screen? Also I'm looking at the docked screenshot, as that's what I'm interested in so again "saving battery" isn't a factor. I'm only interested how it looks on my 43" TV.

The Switch is more powerful than the WiiU, but it's still more expensive and less powerful than consoles released over 4 years ago. If you don't want a portable machine it's just not appealing. Without an actual home console I don't think my experience with Nintendo over the next few years is going to be that great. Though I'll likely enjoy it more than the WiiU still.

You know perfectly that was a typo, I meant undocked, yes 540p on a 6" screen looks good, specially thanks to Splatoon artstyle, that always look higher res.

Maybe they didn't have enough time to make all the optimizations with this one, but since it really doesn't need it for the kind of game it is and already looks good as it is, they probably focus on other things, just a possibility, I dunno, the thing is the game is good and looks nice, this number dramas are really unnecesary imho

numberwang said:
Tis crazy low!

The game does not look much different than the first. How did they not get this running at 720/1080 like Mario Kart Switch?

This is a demo, perhaps the full game will run at as higher res.
Either way, the game does look good, artistically; and that's all that matters.

The game is very fluid, and fun so... meh.

Around the Network

Is it just me that feels that this difference is so irrelevant?

The game still looks great on both screenshots.And its probably better looking on undocked mode rather than a screenshot that has been increased in size.Maybe its because of the artstyle, but the game is really pretty regardless of the resolution.

And we need to remember that this is not the final product.It may(it MAY) be optimized and reach better resolution

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Yeah, I think I'll wait for more confirmation than a single forum post quoting another single forum post lol

Radek said:

Wow... that's bad, I'm sure the game is great but 530p... that's lower than Vita's 540p screen.

It's never good to go so low when console just came out, it's not hardware for 2 years, it's for 5-6 years...

Many PsVita games are 408p and even 384p despite the 540p screen

They still look good though

Normchacho said:
Wow...that is a jagged blurry mess both docked and undocked...

Do remember, Nintendo uses jpeg compression on the screenshots.
The compression is quite bad, and reduces the quality of the image greatly.

Goodnightmoon said:
Barkley said:

Why would you be playing the Switch docked on a 6" Screen?

You know perfectly that was a typo

No I didn't, you were responding to a post in which I said I didn't care about portable gaming after all. On a handheld I'm sure 530p will be fine and it'll look great.

Assuming the docked screenshot isn't an outlier then it's unnacceptable for me, and I have to assume that other games could suffer the same fate.