By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Splatoon 2 Testfire runs at 530p undocked and 720p when docked

Goodnightmoon said:
Barkley said:

Wow... that is.... bloody awful.

Yeah, maybe I won't get a Switch this holiday after all, I knew it was a weak machine but this...

Might wait for a substantial pricedrop now, I really wish Nintendo just made a home console now, this is not the machine I wanted.

Can you be more dramatic please?

Can you have higher standards please? Not sure how I was being "overly dramatic" all I said was that after seeing this I'm reconsidering buying the machine so soon which I already had doubts on.

You may find this acceptable, but as someone who isn't interested in portable gaming paying $300 for a machine that woud have been underpowered in 2013 sucks.

The docked screenshot looks like crap.

Around the Network

I saw someone play it yesterday and it looked quite good. Better than the WiiU version.

Barkley said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Can you be more dramatic please?

Can you have higher standards please?

You may find this acceptable, but as someone who isn't interested in portable gaming paying $300 for a machine that woud have been underpowered in 2013 sucks.

The docked screenshot looks like crap.

The undocked version looks fantastic on a 6" screen, is theorized that the game uses a dynamic resoilution to make sure the game never falls below 60fps and it may just be using a lower resolution to save battery too, in any case, this games doesn't need more as long as it does look good, as for the power, I may have to remid you that a sub 720p game like Fast Racing Neo is running at 1080p on Switch with better framerate in all modes, and Mk8 has done also a jump from 720p to 1080p despite the fact that it was already using most resources of WiiU hartdware.

Sacrifices must be made to hit 60fps on this sorta hardware. My only gripe with the game is that it doesn't feel like a sequel.

Anno 2017 530p is still a thing especially since the car and bike look awful. Nintendo should maximise the graphical potential the Switch offers. Not releasing something with the resolution of Wii games.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

its Nintendo of course.

Goodnightmoon said:

The docked version looks fantastic on a 6" screen, is theorized that the game uses a dynamic resoilution to make sure the game never fallas below 60fps and it may just be using a lower resolution to save battery too, in any case, this games doesn't need more as long as it does good, I may have to remid you that a sub 720p game like Fast Racing Neo is running at 1080p on Switch with better framerate in all modes, and Mk8 has doen also a jump from 720p to 1080p despite the fact that it was already using most reasources of WiiU hartdware.

Why would you be playing the Switch docked on a 6" Screen? Also I'm looking at the docked screenshot, as that's what I'm interested in so again "saving battery" isn't a factor. I'm only interested how it looks on my 43" TV.

The Switch is more powerful than the WiiU, but it's still more expensive and less powerful than consoles released over 4 years ago. If you don't want a portable machine it's just not appealing. Without an actual home console I don't think my experience with Nintendo over the next few years is going to be that great. Though I'll likely enjoy it more than the WiiU still.

Barkley said:

Wow... that is.... bloody awful.

Yeah, maybe I won't get a Switch this holiday after all, I knew it was a weak machine but this...

Might wait for a substantial pricedrop now, I really wish Nintendo just made a home console now, this is not the machine I wanted.

Have you tried playing Splatoon on Wii U? Did you like the look of it? Because it would look the same or slightly better on the Switch. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

numberwang said:
Tis crazy low!

The game does not look much different than the first. How did they not get this running at 720/1080 like Mario Kart Switch?

And I dont think theres anything wrong with that. The first Splatoon on the Wii U looked awesome. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

I wish people wouldn't use fast racing neo as a comparison that is a basic left/right simple racing game. Wipeout was 1080p and 60fps on ps3 and even had 3D support and an amazing 7.1 soundtrack but that does not mean all ps3 games could do that. Many were at 720p and struggled to maintain 30fps because they were running much more complex game engines needing much more gpu and cpu resources. There are plenty of android futuristic racers with 1080p graphics.

Are those graphics the worse they will be with a dynamic resolution or will they actually drop further when the game is under extreme load?