By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGC Weapon Durability MEGA Thread

archer9234 said:

Zelda causes a lot of the issues, I hate. Weapons break from a fight, open a chest. Crap items. I either continue. Or waste my time, on a reload. Because, the game wasted my time, on a worthless fight. 

You reload if you find a crappy weapon? Wow! That is unexpected. But if you like reloading, than go.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:
This is what happens when you have a game as good as BotW... people search for something to whine about and turn something that no one really gave a crap about in the past into the primary discussion of the day lol

Well, rarely do weapons break as frequently as they do in BotW (at least to my knowledge) I'd say its a valid concern for anybody who has played Dark Souls, TW3, etc. Obviously, they each handle it differently but there's an expectations that your weapons will last you a while.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

potato_hamster said:
irstupid said:
You should add a poll with these four options.
Have BotW & like durability
Have Botw & don't like durability
Don't have BotW & like durability
Don't have BotW & dont' like durability

Why?

He clearly craves that sweet, sweet validation of people having the same opinion as him/being in the majority.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Areym said:
Johnw1104 said:
This is what happens when you have a game as good as BotW... people search for something to whine about and turn something that no one really gave a crap about in the past into the primary discussion of the day lol

Well, rarely do weapons break as frequently as they do in BotW (at least to my knowledge) I'd say its a valid concern for anybody who has played Dark Souls, TW3, etc. Obviously, they each handle it differently but there's an expectations that your weapons will last you a while.

Havn't played souls, mbut have played witcher and games that do durability similar to that. And i find those durablity just annoying. They take so long before you need to do anything that they just feel like a random tax whenever I'm in town. It's like "oh, gotat go just drop a few hundred coins to fix things" They don't affect me ever in the world or combat, just an expense quick when in town.

Now I wouldn't mind if Zelda doubled the durability of every item and also let the great fairies increase durability as well. But I much prefer durability actually being a factor in a game versus as I said just an expense every so often.

kljesta64 said:
archer9234 said:

It's a game mechanic that is different, for each person. Example. Minecraft has a durability and food system. I don't find it annoying one bit. Why? Because it isn't fast, hounding you, or causing you to stop what you're working on. Zelda causes a lot of the issues, I hate. Weapons break from a fight, open a chest. Crap items. I either continue. Or waste my time, on a reload. Because, the game wasted my time, on a worthless fight. Finding diamonds is annoying as hell, in Minecraft. But, I find it more satisfying. Because the diamond armor, and weapons, last the longest. With Zelda. Things break in x amount of hits. Even the best weapons, break fast. So it's more often easier to find a cheese tactic. And stick to it. I don't bother to ugprade my hearts. Intil my Stamina bar is maxed. It's easier to just reload. Than to deal with the statmina limitations. That's not a good designed game. 

Another reason why this is a bigger problem. Is the same issue RE 0-3 fans. Have towards RE 4-6. BOTW changed thesystem. It wasn't gradual. It hit you. So the annoying item breaks, are hated more. Because people are like: This worked better the old way. Or I liked the item system, the old way. As for rewarding. I got that from past Zelda games, just fine. I loved unlocking the big goron sword. Was it useful? No. I ignored it. But, I have it. And it counts towards my 100%. How about adapt your logic, in real life. You own a 2001 digital camera. And get a 2017 one. The 2017 one breaks, after 5 uses. Are you happy to go back to the 2001 one, yes or no. Simple question.

i still dont see how its lazy.

basically you're saying botw is a badly balanced game which is not the case. theres more than 1 way to defeat enemies or to reach your goal. and you call that lazy ?

It's lazy in the fact that they hamper your progression. By making a system that annoys the person. Instead of the normal way: of restricting access to better items, later on. You can use a level 16 weapon, and OHK bob's, when your start out. But, they break. I rather nothing break. And not allow me to get said items, till later. I'll put it this way.

Metroid Prime. From the start. You have access to the Phazon suit. But, the suit has to recharge every 30 seconds. During recharge, all weapons are disabled. You're OP. But, your nerfed. What's the point? Dissallow the better weapons. IE: Your suit is damaged. And you reset to base mode. Rather than nerf everything else. To have a balance. It's lazy in the sense, of they did a blanket nerfing system. You can climb and go where every you want. No walls. The stamina limit, and item break, is said wall. I'd rather have the wall. If I don't bother running. Than why does run exsist in the game. It has too much of a drawback. Than use. So won't use it. What does that sound like? Those crappy earily game weapons people don't use, after a point. You just changed what you don't use. The issue is still there. But, you created a new issue. Hatred toward your control. VS world limit.

I like that fence, that blocked your acces to Hylian Lake. I don't like run, slow run, slow run slow, run, slow... I like that I needed the hook shot, to clear the water temple. I don't like that I'm stuck with a level 4 weapon. When i need a level 24, for a area. One makes me want to solve a puzzle. The other makes me hit reload.

Around the Network

Well, I think weapon durability can add to a game, but as often it depends.

For instance: if a weapon degrades slowly and it is easy to fix it, why bother at all. All it takes it time and money off outside of fights. But the game doesn't change really if you take it out.

Well, as Zelda is the hot topic: I don't mind much there. Actually I'm more annoyed I can't sell weapons. I find that much weapons, I always have to throw them away. Selling them would be much, much better. *grumble, grumble*

But that said, weapon durability also does not really do much positive for Zelda:BotW. I think Nintendo nailed it with the clothing, you keep the pieces and can upgrade them throughout the game. You still change often enough, because you need special abilities. I think something similar should have happened with weapons.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Areym said:
Johnw1104 said:

To be fair, Zelda is about breaking conventions.  In those style of games I would agree that durability can be a bad thing.  But in a game like Zelda breath of the wild that encourages exploration and experimentation, durability feels necessary.  If your weapons didn't break then you wouldn't be encouraged to try sneak attacks, or using cuccos or attaching balloons to your enemies and watching them float away.

Something...Something...Games...Something

Mnementh said:
JWeinCom said:
It's basically an ammo system. You find ammo to use a certain weapon a certain number of times. The more powerful the ammo, the harder it is to find. Just like guns have a certain amount of uses to balance gameplay, some games do the same with swords and such.

There could be problems if there's too little ammo around or something, but I can't see how it is inherently a problem.

That actually is a pretty good comparison. If I think about it, Mana for a mage is also similar from a game design standpoint. You can throw fireballs until the mana is exhausted. You then have to 'repair' your mana by drinking a potion or resting in an inn.

Yeah.  That's actually an issue I have in a lot of RPGs.  I'm naturally more inclined to focus on magic, but I usually wind up with a physical build because the power is rarely enough to make up for the limited usability.

JWeinCom said:
It's basically an ammo system. You find ammo to use a certain weapon a certain number of times. The more powerful the ammo, the harder it is to find. Just like guns have a certain amount of uses to balance gameplay, some games do the same with swords and such.

There could be problems if there's too little ammo around or something, but I can't see how it is inherently a problem.

It would be a less of a problem. If the durability was displayed, as ammo. Show how many hits I can do. Than it would be identical. It doesn't. It just says: Oh, it's about to break. Blinking red is not helpful.

The topic seems to have become fiery because of it being an opportunity to attack a virtually perfect game. I'm a little ways in to Breath and I really, really like the weapon use limits. It is a vital part of the Breath experience, and a big part of what makes this Zelda fresh and different from recent entries.

This is a series that was bogged down by its own conventions. You pretty much always had a standard wood sword, then the master sword, then master sword upgraded. Plus 8 pre-set item/weapons. It was both predictable, and it also made the world seem small. Really, there's only 9 weapons in the entire kingdom?

But what is forgotten is that for those who picked up the original Zelda for the first time, we didn't know how many items or weapons there were. We didn't know there were three swords, we just new we found a cool new weapon and hopefully there's lots more to find. The original magic of Zelda was that it was a mystery and you never knew what you were going to find around the corner. This is returned by the new system.

You could argue that you just need lots of weapons for this to be the case, they don't need to break, but that's not the case. I recently wondered too far south trying to reach a shrine and met with enemies way over my head. I took a slow approach using a tonne of bombs and cover and eventually killed them all. I ended up with a couple OP weapons for my current area, a couple of Knight's Broadswords. This gave me a tremendous feeling of achievement and it was great to one-hit some enemies when I returned north. But the thing is, I can't keep doing that. They'll break. So I kept both in my stash for big battles while using other weapons I find along the way. The latest spear, a lizard boomarang, a Zora sword. All of these are fun finds because I NEED them. If my broadswoards wouldn't break, I'd just be using them on everything. But I can't, because they'll be gone, so I have to use these slightly lesser but still cool items I find in order to preserve my big guns. It's fun, it keeps the gameplay fresh and forces me to think and use strategy. In fact, it forces me to try to use none-melee weapon solutions to get rid of enemies. I'm looking for barrels to explode, rocks to push or safe places to roll bombs from because I need to preserve those swords for when I have no other options. It's a great mechanic that suits the theme of the world perfectly.

Also, I've found lots of Korok seeds through exploring and can carry a bunch of weapons. I've got about a dozen slots, so I just keep my three favorite blades for tough situations and have about 9 others to try and burn through as I roam. There's always something to pick up and try in each new zone.