By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGC Weapon Durability MEGA Thread

JakDaSnack said:
Areym said:

I'm not sure how i feel about that conclusion, a drastically reduced durability on weapons to encourage diversity in combat. Those other strategies should be compelling enough on their own to warrant you trying them. 

I will at least say that it seems like Nintendo did the weapon durability for a reason rather than just a bad balancing issue or something along those lines

There isn't any hand holding in Zelda, you wouldn't know you could do those things unless you experimented.  Also after beating particularly hard groups, it's possible to get a really op weapon early on.  If durability wasn't a thing, that op weapon might make the game too easy.  

The OP weapon would not be in the early part of the game. If durability wasn't a thing. I prefer that method, than breaking.

Johnw1104 said:
Areym said:

Well, rarely do weapons break as frequently as they do in BotW (at least to my knowledge) I'd say its a valid concern for anybody who has played Dark Souls, TW3, etc. Obviously, they each handle it differently but there's an expectations that your weapons will last you a while.

pokoko said:

From my vantage point, it's the other way around.  There are no perfect games.  Every game has something that some people don't like.  With most games, they disagree and it's no big deal.  Everyone accepts that preference is a thing.  However, with Zelda, I can't recall running into a situation where so many people are so angry and eager to prove that other people are wrong for not liking this or that.  It's like they've been personally insulted.

'Weapon durability' hasn't blown up into a big deal because of the people complaining about it, it's blown up because of the people who are upset that other people are complaining about it.  

It's something that some players consider a negative.  Those who insist that Breath of the Wild has to be perfect need to get over it.

Either way, it's hardly an issue, but the way it's being discussed it's as if it's a game breaking feature.

That's your opinion.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Platina said:
Why not just move all the discussion into one of the existing threads, rather than make a new one completely?

Tagging though

How would you pick that thread though...most views? most comments? most well written? Makes sense to wipe it clean and start fresh and not piss off users who get a thread blocked while a similar thread survives.

Well, one thread was created first and has the most posts due to the most dicussion

I'm not against this at all, just that it does disrupt conversations happening in that thread. But this thread will work just as well since nobody minds :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Zkuq said:

I think I haven't played a lot of games with weapon durability, but I sure hated how enchanted weapons worked in Oblivion and Skyrim. I ended up never using them because charging them always seemed like an annoying hassle.

And just for the record, I have no idea what the deal about weapon durability is recently. Seems like it has something to do with BotW, but that's about it, and I'm not sure even about that.

The reason is BotW got pretty good critic reviews and that doesn't sit well with some people so they look for excuses to pick on the game.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I'm honestly a bit surprised this is such a game-breaker for a few people here. I'm probably clocked 30 hours so far, and it seems like I have a surplus of powerful weapons at any given time. Whenever I see a weapon I like, I can take a picture of it, and use my Shiekah Sensor to find it again while exploring, but that honestly hasn't been an issue yet.

I've only played a few other open-world RPGs to completion (I have ADD, gomen gomen), but I vastly prefer the system here to Skyrim, where I was constantly over-encumbered, and was forced to drop weapons after every dragon fight in order to store the bones. I suppose this comes down to what aspects of collection bother you, but Ive found the weapon cycling keeps things fresh overall, and item management is as simple as 'throw weapon, press d-pad, equip new weapon'.

I suppose if it's a such a problem though, it would be nice to include an unlimted durability mode, as long as it's optional. Or an in-game location that lets you repurchase old weapons.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Zkuq said:

I think I haven't played a lot of games with weapon durability, but I sure hated how enchanted weapons worked in Oblivion and Skyrim. I ended up never using them because charging them always seemed like an annoying hassle.

And just for the record, I have no idea what the deal about weapon durability is recently. Seems like it has something to do with BotW, but that's about it, and I'm not sure even about that.

I mostly agree.  It was a hassle at low levels and I hope they do something different with it in the future.  There were ways around it, though, so that at higher levels, it wasn't much of a factor.  I had like a thousand filled Soul Gems by the time I stopped playing and the Black Star, an infinite use Black Soul Gem, made recharging simple.  Still, I would have liked more freedom within the system.  EVERY enchanted weapon I made had the unique Fiery Soul Trap as one of the enchants and I always set the strength really low so I wouldn't have to keep recharging all the time.  

I really dislike going into menus constantly to micro-manage.  It's immersion breaking.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Zkuq said:

The reason is BotW got pretty good critic reviews and that doesn't sit well with some people so they look for excuses to pick on the game.

I can care less what BOTW got. My complaints are my complaints. I bitched how awful Fi was, for Skyward Sword. I'll complain about a system, I think, went too far. In annoying the player.

I said it somewhere else, but I kinda want to say it again here. I need to put a disclaimer first: I haven't really played Breath of the Wild, so my opinion doesn't go further from what I've seen in review videos or what I can infer from the thing.

The biggest "issue" that could happen from how the weapon durability thing works in Breath of the Wild is the fact that weapons lose identity. You don't grab weapons out of their stats or usefulness; you grab weapons for a quantity reason, to have a huge arsenal and keep swapping around when things start breaking over and over and over within the same (or close) combats. Find a new, unique weapon? Either keep it as some sort of trophy you won't ever use it because it'll break down in 30 hits or have it as yet another part of the arsenal you're going to use in the same place. The former makes you deny the weapon its usefulness out of fear of breaking, the later just makes it part of that quantity-based combat, and thus, doesn't matter how cool the weapon because you'll use it for/as replacement of a weapon that already broke.

archer9234 said:
JakDaSnack said:

There isn't any hand holding in Zelda, you wouldn't know you could do those things unless you experimented.  Also after beating particularly hard groups, it's possible to get a really op weapon early on.  If durability wasn't a thing, that op weapon might make the game too easy.  

The OP weapon would not be in the early part of the game. If durability wasn't a thing. I prefer that method, than breaking.

Johnw1104 said:

Either way, it's hardly an issue, but the way it's being discussed it's as if it's a game breaking feature.

That's your opinion.

Part of what the developers wanted is the freedom to beat the final boss whenever you wanted to.  You can even beat the game within the first 30 minutes.  If you didn't have the ability to gain op weapons early, then you wouldn't be able to take down the final boss.

Something...Something...Games...Something

In Zelda, they could create an easy mode with 10x longer durability and ready to eat food as loot for casual players.

And the Soulsbourne series, where durability lasts much longer, would really profit from an easy mode that is more like Zelda as well. In my opinion, the save and pause restrictions are really bad game design and the game would benefit greatly from more accessible game play. Not too easy, just like Zelda in its current form.

I cannot talk about Witcher 3, I have to force myself to finish Witcher 2 first.

I don't mind them but I think they make the most sense in games with survival elements where resource managing is a key element. I'm not a fan of the kind of implementation where you don't actually have to worry about losing your gear because they last long and it's easy to repair them. Why have a durability system when it adds nothing to the game but a break from your quest to make your sword great again?

Good use of a durability system is letting the player find really good gear early on and thus provide the option to take on a limited amount of enemies or quests that's above the player's current level, without breaking the overall game balance.