By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGC Weapon Durability MEGA Thread

guiduc said:

It forces you to manage your inventory wayyyyyy more cleverly. Weapon durability makes you smarter

Eh, i'd argue that Fallout 4's survival weight management is far better at that. When bullets and aid items start to weigh you down, you have to make some seriously meaningful choices on the things you carry/find while traveling, specially since fast travel disabled and saving can only be done by sleeping in a bed

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network

I thought Muramasa handled it in a good way. Weapons would degrade, but were generally quite sturdy, and when they broke, you could repair them simply by sheathing them, because magic. This could sometimes be an issue during combat, but once it was over, Bob's your uncle. Also the Yakuza games did it in a fairly nice way. All the top tier weapons had a solid amount of durability, you could carry repair kits if you wanted to as well. Any possible annoyance was further mitigated by the fact that hand to hand combat was always not only available, but often preferable.

- edit. Upon further relection, I may have slightly overstated the durablity of the weapons in Muramasa. But again, since repair is so easy, it's still a player friendly system.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Areym said:
guiduc said:

It forces you to manage your inventory wayyyyyy more cleverly. Weapon durability makes you smarter

Eh, i'd argue that Fallout 4's survival weight management is far better at that. When bullets and aid items start to weigh you down, you have to make some seriously meaningful choices on the things you carry/find while traveling, specially since fast travel disabled and saving can only be done by sleeping in a bed

In Zelda, I'm tossing weapons away more often than they are breaking. It's really only in the first few hours that your stuff is breaking so quickly.

And as someone posted, its like a good 30-50 swings for most all weapons, as long as you don't hit against something you shouldn't with that weapon. Such as a shield or a box or rock or something. Or you do the ground pound thing.

JWeinCom said:
SvennoJ said:
Durability is an issue, it's a big annoyance. I often find myself reloading to restore my weapons especially after knocking one of those heavy plates or boulders out of the way with stasis for a crappy reward. Reload. Fight a camp, reward sucks, reload, go around. After 70 hours I find myself ignoring stuff more often than not, so yes it's a problem as it's affecting my enjoyment of the game.

I don't fight Stone Talus' anymore, just a waste of resources. Hinox, not worth it. Lynel, why bother. Annoying high level bow lizard, just run away. Not worth breaking a weapon on.

I've got 106 Korok seeds, still haven't found a way to use them. Maybe after increasing the inventory I can play around a bit more again instead of only having one or no backup weapon for each type.

If you want to know, go outside the back entrance to Kakariko village (I think one of the entrances), you'll see a giant pretty hard to miss Korok.  Talk to him, he'll give you a sidequest that is to beat a few nearby enemies and retrieve his maracas.  Do this, and you'll be able to use Korok seeds to expand your inventory.  It's pretty much on the path of one of the story missions, so I'm surprised you missed it.

The first weapon you can acquire (I believe) is a tree branch that will break in four hits.

The boko club that you could get shortly after breaks in 10 hits.

The serpentine spear which you can get within the first couple of hours will break in 34 hits.

The Royal Broadsword (a somewhat common mid-lateish game weapon) breaks in about 36 hits.

The Dragonbone moblin club (a common mide-late game weapon) breaks in 45 hits.

The Scimitar of the Seven (a special weapon you get for beating one of the dungeons) will last about 50 hits.

In the early game I found myself switching out weapons frequently.  By the middle of the game, I wound up throwing items away more often than actually breaking them.  

I haven't been to Koriko village yet, so much else to see. I finished up Lake Hulia last night, next stop Kariko village, if I don't get sidetracked again.

Durability depends a lot on what you fight. That scimitar of the seven did not last 50 hits, more like 20 maybe 30 against a Lynel. He was only 2/3rds down when it broke while I was fighting with triple attack buffs. The 54 crusher he dropped is on life support already after killing one Hinox with it and removing 2 plates. The hinox was a 'one hit' kill. Snuck up behind him, did the spin charge attack hitting him over an over, finishing with the thunder attack. Very cool, yet the weapon is already pretty much done for after that. (I removed two more plates, then reloaded as it was flashing red after that) The dragonbone moblin club last 2 or 3 fights against high level enemies, same as royal broadsword. Those hits might be correct against weak enemies, yet I rather run by those than spending durability on.

kljesta64 said:
Jpcc86 said:
As a whole, is a lazy game design.
In BOTW in particular. Is an annoyance. A constant annoyance. And rests value to weapons as a whole.

in what way is it lazy ? 

Because it allows developers to make powerful, unbalanced weapons with practially no consequences because the user can't possibly get too much of an advantage out of them. They'll break the sword long before the game no longer becomes fun because the user is too overpowered.

Weapon degredation systems are tolerable at best when they're used as a means of adding realism to a game. Found an old rusty sword in a field that shatters in 4 hits because it's been in field for 300 years? Fine, I guess. Shit rusts and degrades over time in the elements. But there's no way a new sword forged by a capable swordsmith is getting to the point where it's unrepairable after even 100 hits. Sure it might lose an edge, but that can definitely, definitely be repaired, or reforged.

Around the Network
COKTOE said:

I thought Muramasa handled it in a nice way. Weapons would degrade, but were generally quite sturdy, and when they broke, you could repair them simply by sheathing them, because magic. This could sometimes be an issue during combat, but once it was over, Bob's your uncle. Also the Yakuza games did it in a fairly nice way. All the top tier weapons had a solid amount of durability, you could carry repair kits if you wanted to as well. Any possible annoyance was further mitigated by the fact that hand to hand combat was always not only available, but often preferable.

Yes. Maybe if Link could fight, without a weapon. Or use the abilites, on enemies. These complaints wouldn't happen often. But, they made sure the bombs where also useless, in fast combat.

archer9234 said:
kljesta64 said:

in what way is it lazy ? 

It's a game mechanic that is different, for each person. Example. Minecraft has a durability and food system. I don't find it annoying one bit. Why? Because it isn't fast, hounding you, or causing you to stop what you're working on. Zelda causes a lot of the issues, I hate. Weapons break from a fight, open a chest. Crap items. I either continue. Or waste my time, on a reload. Because, the game wasted my time, on a worthless fight. Finding diamonds is annoying as hell, in Minecraft. But, I find it more satisfying. Because the diamond armor, and weapons, last the longest. With Zelda. Things break in x amount of hits. Even the best weapons, break fast. So it's more often easier to find a cheese tactic. And stick to it. I don't bother to ugprade my hearts. Intil my Stamina bar is maxed. It's easier to just reload. Than to deal with the statmina limitations. That's not a good designed game. 

Another reason why this is a bigger problem. Is the same issue RE 0-3 fans. Have towards RE 4-6. BOTW changed thesystem. It wasn't gradual. It hit you. So the annoying item breaks, are hated more. Because people are like: This worked better the old way. Or I liked the item system, the old way. As for rewarding. I got that from past Zelda games, just fine. I loved unlocking the big goron sword. Was it useful? No. I ignored it. But, I have it. And it counts towards my 100%. How about adapt your logic, in real life. You own a 2001 digital camera. And get a 2017 one. The 2017 one breaks, after 5 uses. Are you happy to go back to the 2001 one, yes or no. Simple question.

i still dont see how its lazy.

basically you're saying botw is a badly balanced game which is not the case. theres more than 1 way to defeat enemies or to reach your goal. and you call that lazy ?

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

This is what happens when you have a game as good as BotW... people search for something to whine about and turn something that no one really gave a crap about in the past into the primary discussion of the day lol

kljesta64 said:
archer9234 said:

It's a game mechanic that is different, for each person. Example. Minecraft has a durability and food system. I don't find it annoying one bit. Why? Because it isn't fast, hounding you, or causing you to stop what you're working on. Zelda causes a lot of the issues, I hate. Weapons break from a fight, open a chest. Crap items. I either continue. Or waste my time, on a reload. Because, the game wasted my time, on a worthless fight. Finding diamonds is annoying as hell, in Minecraft. But, I find it more satisfying. Because the diamond armor, and weapons, last the longest. With Zelda. Things break in x amount of hits. Even the best weapons, break fast. So it's more often easier to find a cheese tactic. And stick to it. I don't bother to ugprade my hearts. Intil my Stamina bar is maxed. It's easier to just reload. Than to deal with the statmina limitations. That's not a good designed game. 

Another reason why this is a bigger problem. Is the same issue RE 0-3 fans. Have towards RE 4-6. BOTW changed thesystem. It wasn't gradual. It hit you. So the annoying item breaks, are hated more. Because people are like: This worked better the old way. Or I liked the item system, the old way. As for rewarding. I got that from past Zelda games, just fine. I loved unlocking the big goron sword. Was it useful? No. I ignored it. But, I have it. And it counts towards my 100%. How about adapt your logic, in real life. You own a 2001 digital camera. And get a 2017 one. The 2017 one breaks, after 5 uses. Are you happy to go back to the 2001 one, yes or no. Simple question.

i still dont see how its lazy.

basically you're saying botw is a badly balanced game which is not the case. theres more than 1 way to defeat enemies or to reach your goal. and you call that lazy ?

Just because one part of a game isn't done well doesn't mean the game as a whole isn't done well.

You should add a poll with these four options.
Have BotW & like durability
Have Botw & don't like durability
Don't have BotW & like durability
Don't have BotW & dont' like durability