By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Titanfall 2 Designer: Switch Is So Underpowered Third Party Support Will Be No Different Than Wii U

More and more industry professionals are reacting to the Nintendo Switch reveal, be it via Twitter or interviews of all kinds. For example, Respawn’s Mohammad Alavi, who worked as Senior Designer on Titanfall and Titanfall 2, talked about Nintendo’s new console in a videocast appeared on YouTube’s Drunk Tech Review channel.

I’m gonna tell you, I was excited about it because Nintendo’s been in such a niche market recently, like catering to the handheld and I’m gonna be honest with you, the kids. They’ve been so underpowered [in terms of hardware] that they don’t have the support of third parties because they’re all making games for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. And the Nintendo Switch is no different.

When asked by Drunk Tech Review’s host whether Titanfall 2 could be hypothetically ported to the Switch, Alavi replied:

Fuck no. No, you’re not going to be able to fit Titanfall 2. That’s the same Zelda for the Wii U [laugh].

Recently, Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford stated that Borderlands 3 will most likely never launch on the Switch because of “differing priorities”.

Third party support has been Nintendo’s thorn in the heel ever since the days of Nintendo 64. Ever since the Wii, though, their home consoles have been also vastly underpowered when compared to Sony’s and Microsoft’s which made third party support even more complicated to get, since developers would have to substantially rework their games before porting them.

Nintendo’s preliminary list of partners was quite promising, though, and the company is definitely trying hard to overcome this historic hurdle. Reggie Fils-Aime recently explained how they’re trying to create the perfect environment for game studios thanks to the support of established engines like Unity and Unreal

http://wccftech.com/switch-underpowered-third-party-support/

Around the Network

Should we care?

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Nobody ever expected to get every third party game on Switch (and I don't think anyone expected Titanfall), but it still sucks to see people put Nintendo into this box. I have always felt that Nintendo systems typically offer more room for creativity than most but so many developers just look to "more graphics" for their iterations as opposed to anything which actually pushes the boundaries.

Also, this is why you let your PR team do the talking.

RolStoppable said:
Didn't Titanfall 2 kinda flop?

Yeah probably as bad as the Switch will.

RolStoppable said:

Yes it did, so it would be like throwing good money after bad. A port is not free to make.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Which is sad because i heard it actually had a good single player campaign.

Someone should ask him will we see Titan Fall 3? I think he will have similar response.

No Titanfall? Oh no. I think they'll live, even most One owners seem to be coping just fine without it.

RolStoppable said:

Whats your point? I'm sure bomberman is going to be GOTY...

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

They can keep it. Did anyone actually play that game after what happened with the first one?