By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Stars Confirmed? (gamestop)

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I'm so tired of people actively hyping up ports. Ports. I know that Nintendo does a lot of shit, and I know that The Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, and even at one time Mario himself have remasters...but ports of 1-3 year old games to hype up a new console? Pathetic. I don't care if Stars prints them money, or if Mario Kart 8 is easier to port than to make a new game. I'm a consumer and if Nintendo really just came out and put all these ports onto the system to make them system sellers, they deserve to fail. Seriously.

Well, is like the last of us, GTAV, all other crossgen games that was on ps3 and then on ps4.

Face them as crossgen games.

Around the Network
jonathanalis said:
I'm so tired of people actively hyping up ports. Ports. I know that Nintendo does a lot of shit, and I know that The Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, and even at one time Mario himself have remasters...but ports of 1-3 year old games to hype up a new console? Pathetic. I don't care if Stars prints them money, or if Mario Kart 8 is easier to port than to make a new game. I'm a consumer and if Nintendo really just came out and put all these ports onto the system to make them system sellers, they deserve to fail. Seriously.

Well, is like the last of us, GTAV, all other crossgen games that was on ps3 and then on ps4.

Thats exactly what people disliked thé msot about this gen, making this gen less necessary,too much port, and it seems Nintendo is going full in with ports of games from last gen or cross gen games , based on rumors thzy could even break thé record of ports in à first year.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Aerys said:
jonathanalis said:

Thats exactly what people disliked thé msot about this gen, making this gen less necessary,too much port, and it seems Nintendo is going full in with ports of games from last gen or cross gen games , based on rumors thzy could even break thé record of ports in à first year.

How about Assassins creed 4, CoD, fifa 14, NBA 2k14, lego marvel super heroes, just dance 2014 and every other game that released on ps4 in 2013 that were also on PS3? There were tons of them. And I cant see diference between them and TLOU of GTAV. Is just the PS4 version of the game. Even if all rumors are correct, switch would never break this record.

Hiku said:
Hikku and Superchunk...no offense but your arguments for ports are really...really pore. There are so many problems with ports.

The first thing I have to say, is that for you hikku(sorry if i put your username down wrong), you said you wanted to experience Mario Kart 8. Now do you want to experience that game specifically because it's the 8th installment, or because it's the newest game in the series? It's because it's the newest game in the series. Now why would you play that over Forza Horizon or Gran Turismo? Oh ya...because it's a different kind of game. The point? You're saying "well I want a Mario kart 8 port because i haven't played the game" - but the reality is that a Mario Kart 9 being in development is entirely possible. Mario Kart games have consistantly released every 3-4 years and by march Mario Kart 8 will have been almost 3 years old. It's time for a new mario kart game. When you say "I want to play Mario Kart 8" - what you're really saying is that you just want the latest installment in the series. This isn't God of War or The Last of Us, these aren't story based games where you need to experience certain installments. And if you say "well...I want Mario Kart 8 because it's unique mechanics" or because of it's quality...well that stuff will probably return. Realize that besides Mario Kart Wii(the Wii was the time of many strange things for Nintendo..), every console Mario Kart game has been recieved as well if not better than the previous installment. Mario Kart 64 - Mario Kart Double Dash - Mario Kart 8.

So why sell more Mario Kart 8? Because...it didn't sell as well??? What? Who cares. It was on a system that sold significantly less than the Wii. Nintendo are fine with Mario Kart 8's sales...why do us consumers have to chant them on and tell them to release mediocre .5 sequels just for the sake of cashing in more profit on a game that already has sold more than most Playstation and Xbox exclusives ever had?

The Wii U is a dangerous console for many reasons, but one of the biggest is that Nintendo fans are now willing to let Nintendo do ANYTHING just for a successful launch. I remember when Wii U fans used to heavily criticize Playstation 4 for it's remasters...and you know what? I got a Wii U because of NEW Nintendo games. Because fans were saying "Hey...these are were the new great exclusives are". Ports of multiplayer heavy games just isn't nintendo.

There are many other reasons why it doesn't make sense...but I am feeling lazy.

I don't think Nintendo are concerned about the sales of Mario Kart 8 in particular. However, they may be with some of their other titles like Bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade.

And yeah, to me it doesn't make a difference if the Switch Mario Kart game is 8.5 or 9. However, it does for Smash Bros. The lineup for Smash 4 is something I don't see them topping with the next instalment for me. If ever, due to the expensive liscenses they got for all those guest characters in particular. And I'm not confident that some of my favorites like Lucina will make a return when there may be a new Fire Emblem game out by then with new characters to promote.
So instead of throwing all of that away and start over from scratch, I think it would be better if they simply continued to build on it.

If we look at the console Mario Kart games, they come out around every 4,5 years on average. If we go by that, Mario Kart 9 could be expected around January 2019. A port can help them push the game out much earlier.
I also think Mario Kart and Smash are games that are particularly suited for an update approach, since as you said they're not for example story driven that warrant completely new entries. Look at Street Fighter 4 for example. Capcom upgraded the same game multiple times over the course of 7 years, and people played it to the very end.

Bayonetta 2 sold well but it's not like I'm going to complain if they port it. To me, the games taht should be ported are - Super Smash Bros. U(obvious reasons), Pokken Tournament(obvious reasons), Tokyo Mirage Sessions(obvious reasons), and Xenoblade Chronicles X(obvious reasons). That's it. 

Completely agree. Sakurai or whatever the fuck his name is probably won't want to make another Smash Brothers game any time soon and the licenses would be a huge issue if they went for a Smash bros 5. I honestly think that never releasing an original smash on Switch wouldn't be an issue. It's always been more about the roster anyways than the new features. 

No offense bro but this is the point in which you're being a bit disengenous. The reason why console Mario karts release in that time span is because you aren't accounting for the DS games. Can you imagine if the Mario Kart development team focused on making two Mario Karts at once and then released both around the same time? Even releasing it a year after a portable Mario Kart game would eat up the market too much. It probably has a lot more to do with the development team being the same across multiple Mario Kart titles, or at least very similar, to the point where a lot of the same talent is working on the products. If they worked on two titles at once, that would be strenous and they would cut the sales of both titles. So you'd have to actively ignore the well crafted Mario Kart DS - 3DS titles in order to make this point. 

"Look at Street Fighter 4 for example. Capcom upgraded the same game multiple times over the course of 7 years, and people played it to the very end."

Yes but they made you pay for each version which meant only the most hardcore of fans sticked around. I honestly think Mario Kart and Splatoon being a "platform" is an amazing idea, but the way people are describing it is ENTIRELY wrong. Let me explain. You use the example of Street Fighter 4. But Street Fighter 4 was a new title for the (at the time) next gen console. If Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 ports come out and become a platform...that means that we aren't seeing a new game on new hardware, AND the games will be even more tired out than Street Fighter 4. If Street Fighter 4's lifespan was 7 years, than by comparison Mario Kart 8's would probably be from 2014 to 2023, that's almost 9 years. And do you think Nintendo would release free content like Splatoon or paid upgrades that keep people around for 9 years? Absolutely not. What people are forgetting is that by introducting so much amazing DLC with the Wii U(honestly Nintendo made a bigger splash in the "quality DLC" market than they did with the HD market with the Wii U) is that the platform is already milked. People keep saying "make multiplayer t itles a platform...make them a platform...make them a platform".  But they were already a platform on the Wii U, they've already been milked as platform titles. Nobody will be that invested for 9 years or in Splatoon's case 8. 

jonathanalis said:

Except The Last of Us is story driven and because of that it makes sense as to why 360 gamers that missed out on that game would want it when they purchase a PS4. Let's be honest, the same situation isn't true at all for Mario kart or Splatoon. People keep using these tired excuses of "But what about this game or what about xxx". I remember a time when people used Nintendo as the standard back in 2014 instead of the exception. All people did was criticize the PS4 for remasters. 

If anything, Playstation has more of an excuse for remasters than Nintendo does, which is ironic. 

Nintendo has the biggest 1st party presence of any console manufacturer, there's no denying that. If they released a Switch expecting to sell 7 million in the first year(that would be considered a great year for the Switch btw) then Zelda and mario ALONE would sell that. So why release these "cross platform" remasters lazily? There's only a few reasons : 

1. Nintendo doesn't trust the popularity of Zelda or Mario 

2. Nintendo doesn't have the 3rd party multiplayer support they  need

3. Nintendo doesn't have the 3rd party support needed for consistent Switch releases 

4. Nintendo feels multiplayer-centric titles is needed to sell the system

In all these instances if Nintendo doesn't cover these grounds(remember these are the only reasons for them to re-release these games as reasons to buy the system) than nintendo ABSOLUTELY deserves to fail. If they're insecure about their multiplayer 1st party line up? Absolutely deserve to fail for just releasing remasters. if  they don't have 3rd party support and consumers feel it is needed? Absolutely deserve to fail. I'm not going to excuse a company simply because they're releasing lazy ports. If the Switch NEEDS multiplayer 1st party titles for some odd reason, despite probably getting Mario, Zelda, and maybe Pikmin in the first year ... then Nintendo needs to get on it, not turn into Sony. 

Around the Network

They could be referencing a game like Pokken Tournament rather than Stars specifically, but it's still exciting nonetheless! I have high hopes for tomorrow!

jonathanalis said:

Except The Last of Us is story driven and because of that it makes sense as to why 360 gamers that missed out on that game would want it when they purchase a PS4. Let's be honest, the same situation isn't true at all for Mario kart or Splatoon. People keep using these tired excuses of "But what about this game or what about xxx". I remember a time when people used Nintendo as the standard back in 2014 instead of the exception. All people did was criticize the PS4 for remasters. 

Well, 85 x360 million players missed tlou. also every non wii u owner missed splatoon and mk8. Much more peoplehandt access to ps3 remasters than wii U's. Also, this strategy work on ps4, now is a juggernault. Seems that what a few users in foruns contradict how market reacted(bougth remasters in millions, despite suposelly the bad pratice from sony). that what happened this time.  Also, the lots of developers that produced games from ps3 and ps4, are all wrong? All anual sport games, AC, CoD, lego, JD, tomb raider, metal gear, forza, etc. they are all wrong? Lets face, is just the ps4 version of a ps3 game. Sometimes, even games you could play on x360. Havent seen no one complaining, but is the same thing as GTAV and tlou: just a PS4 version of the game.

If anything, Playstation has more of an excuse for remasters than Nintendo does, which is ironic. 

Nintendo has the biggest 1st party presence of any console manufacturer, there's no denying that. If they released a Switch expecting to sell 7 million in the first year(that would be considered a great year for the Switch btw) then Zelda and mario ALONE would sell that. So why release these "cross platform" remasters lazily? There's only a few reasons : 

1. Nintendo doesn't trust the popularity of Zelda or Mario 

2. Nintendo doesn't have the 3rd party multiplayer support they  need

3. Nintendo doesn't have the 3rd party support needed for consistent Switch releases 

4. Nintendo feels multiplayer-centric titles is needed to sell the system

In all these instances if Nintendo doesn't cover these grounds(remember these are the only reasons for them to re-release these games as reasons to buy the system) than nintendo ABSOLUTELY deserves to fail. If they're insecure about their multiplayer 1st party line up? Absolutely deserve to fail for just releasing remasters. if  they don't have 3rd party support and consumers feel it is needed? Absolutely deserve to fail. I'm not going to excuse a company simply because they're releasing lazy ports. If the Switch NEEDS multiplayer 1st party titles for some odd reason, despite probably getting Mario, Zelda, and maybe Pikmin in the first year ... then Nintendo needs to get on it, not turn into Sony. 

Your considering something that is not always truth: Having ports doesnt mean they are not doing new games. Even in cases where nintnedo give other developer to make the port(TPHD), or when themselves start porting a game, they usually learn with the experience to how to develop a games for the system and the new games can be done faster. And also, they always have studios working in new games. And you forgot the main point: As switch is both console and handheld, Nintendo focused the production of handheld and console in a single device, so, is the double of standart stream of games.
IMHO, the more the games, the better. Even with ports, they are doing so.
Also, in ps4 case, having 2013 versions of ps3 games helped a lot the number of posssible options of games, so, it was good too. And we saw a ps2/wii level of sales.
Thats more evidence that the more games, the better.

mountaindewslave said:

your logic is awful

selling 7 million copies of a game on a system that has like 13 million owners is an INSANE attach rate, especially when considering that there haven't been THAT many Mario Kart system bundles

People have rated Mario Kart 8 as one of the best games in the series and even debated that it may be one of the best looking games this gen. Its not that Mario Kart Wii was so great that caused it to sell that many copies, its that the Wii install base was gigantic compared to the Wii U. Even so, proportionately Mario Kart 8 is selling at a wayyyy better attach rate than Mario Kart Wii did, which would suggest the fans prefer it

if another Nintendo system sells 100 million systems you'll see the next Mario Kart game have insane sales too

The reason the Wii U failed was because it was poor conceptually. I have NEVER heard someone claim that Nintendo's main IPs being mediocre was the issue with the Wii U. Mario 3D Land (albeit not my favorite) was rated solidly, Smash and Mario Kart rated fantastically, etc.

maybe a LACK of some of Nintendo's IPs hurt the Wii U (Zelda, Metroid, F Zero, a good Animal Crossing, a Pokemon home console game, etc. missing). 

the reality is though it was the concept of the system that failed. The majority of casual gamers and even a lot of old school Nintendo fans do not want a big tablet controller thing in their lap that they need to look down at. It raised the price of the system to quite high for what it was and didn't really add much to the experience 

Those games did not sell Gamecube. The consept of a second screen isn't bad (even if the price is hard to justify), what's bad, is that the screen is forced for some secondary function in almost all of the games - which is a software problem, not hardware.

Attach rate doesn't matter. Sales do. High attach rate only tells there are not many games to buy on a system.

People bought Wiis to play Mario Kart, not the other way around. Fans do not prefer Mario Kart 8, which is proven by its sales.

The casual gamers play largely what's popular at moment, it is the core audience of the industry. This is the people that play FIFA and COD.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Hiku said:

Since I've never heard anything but praise for Nintendo's WiiU's games, and they've generally reviewed extremely well, I don't believe that's the concensus. The average consumer buys around 5 games for a system, so you can't ignore game output, or price of the system, being important factors. I think a big problem was that it didn't have enough good games for some, and that those games took a long time to come out for others. The first 3D Mario game came out a year after launch. Mario Kart took 1,5 years, and Smash came out almost 2 years after launch. And by that time people's interest can ware off and their money is instead spent elsewhere.
With your logic here, every gamer would buy a console, no matter what it costs, as long as it has one single good game.
Obviously things are not that simple. Quantity and price play an important role. Xbox One didn't make alterations to their game linup in their first quarter. They slashed the price by $100 by cutting loose dead weight that people didn't want to pay for (The Kinect). Nintendo had a similar problem with the expensive Gamepad, but they never did anything about it.

The reason the "casual Wii crowd" aren't buying WiiU isn't because of game quality. They're not interested in PS4 either. They're content with their free to play games on their mobile devices. Games like Dragonball Z Dokkan Battle have over 100 Million downloads. Nintendo managed to catch their interest with Wii's gimmic right before smartphones became a thing. That crowd is no longer a major factor in the console market.

So what Nintendo need to do is attract more of the core audience who are interested in their games. They have a potential audience for that on 3DS. It's no coincidence that Switch is portable.

And I haven't heard any praise of Wii U games.

You point out the obvious lack of games, as well as the games being bad. Nintendo could not drop the gamepad because the software is tied to it. This, is a problem with software. There's really not a 3D Mario game on Wii U, just this isometric view multiplayer that weren't popular in the 80's or 90's either.

Why would the Wii crowd be content with the games on their mobile devices? I don't get it. The games on mobile devices suit better the core crowd of games industry than the "Wii crowd". The mobile games have the excact same problems as the game industry AAA games have. People are downloading games for free because they are free. I can see mobile games overlapping Wii U, X1 and PS4 games, but not Wii games, as the values are so much different.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bdbdbd said:

Those games did not sell Gamecube. The consept of a second screen isn't bad (even if the price is hard to justify), what's bad, is that the screen is forced for some secondary function in almost all of the games - which is a software problem, not hardware.

Attach rate doesn't matter. Sales do. High attach rate only tells there are not many games to buy on a system.

People bought Wiis to play Mario Kart, not the other way around. Fans do not prefer Mario Kart 8, which is proven by its sales.

The casual gamers play largely what's popular at moment, it is the core audience of the industry. This is the people that play FIFA and COD.

That is a terrible argument he's right your logic has no ground here, MK8 for a start has outsold the majority of games this gen while being on the smallest userbase this highly contradicts your argument. Wii was already selling highly and was at around 30m units by the time MK Wii arrived, if Wii U was at the same sales rate we'd be looking at the best selling MK title by miles, people bought Wiis because it was vastly affordable and well marketed.

Attach rate doesn't indicate the aren't any games on a platform by that logic you're saying GTA only sells because the's nothing on the platforms it's on.