By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Stars Confirmed? (gamestop)

Its basically confirmed at this point.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
onionberry said:

A third version with different content is part of the pokemon culture, so your whole rant is kinda silly.

not really. Nintendo never ported Platinum to Wii, made it a console exclusive, and then said "you should buy a system for the first next gen hybrid pokemon". And if its "always been a part of pokemon" why havent we got it since Generation 4?

I agree with onionberry. While all variations of the same pokemon could be generally thought of as a port, it is not technically the correct term.

Sun is not a port of Moon or the other way around. Thus "Stars" would not be either. It is an extension with new pokemon and other content. (assuming it exists of course) 

Nintendo likely found that having a third variant didn't provide the expected return as just keeping two variants did. Now, with a new console launching so close to the release of Sun/Moon, it makes sense to offer a third variant on that console to help bolster its evential unified library. (especially as 3DS begins its die off)

Hiku said:
I'm so tired of people actively hyping up ports. Ports. I know that Nintendo does a lot of shit, and I know that The Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, and even at one time Mario himself have remasters...but ports of 1-3 year old games to hype up a new console? Pathetic. I don't care if Stars prints them money, or if Mario Kart 8 is easier to port than to make a new game. I'm a consumer and if Nintendo really just came out and put all these ports onto the system to make them system sellers, they deserve to fail. Seriously.

Considering WiiU only sold 13M, there are far more gamers who didn't play those games than there are who did. Me for example. I do want to play those games, but I can't justify buying a WiiU for them. So that they're bringing some of their best WiiU titles to Switch is actually the biggest reason I'm interested in the system.

not really. Nintendo never ported Platinum to Wii, made it a console exclusive, and then said "you should buy a system for the first next gren hybrid pokemon". And if its "always been a part of pokemon" why havent we got it since Generation 4?

They actually put Pokemon Crystal on Gameboy Color as an exclusive, while Gold and Silver worked on the original Gameboy.

But if Nintendo wants to sell their console, surely they wouldn't be banking on the games that didn't move Wii U's. Gamecube BC did not move Wii's, Gamecube ports did not move Wii U's, and I'm quite sure Wii U ports will not move Switches. Problem with ports is, that porting Mario Kart 8, for example, may prevent them from making Mario Kart 9, that could actually be a good game. 

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bdbdbd said:
Hiku said:

Considering WiiU only sold 13M, there are far more gamers who didn't play those games than there are who did. Me for example. I do want to play those games, but I can't justify buying a WiiU for them. So that they're bringing some of their best WiiU titles to Switch is actually the biggest reason I'm interested in the system.

They actually put Pokemon Crystal on Gameboy Color as an exclusive, while Gold and Silver worked on the original Gameboy.

But if Nintendo wants to sell their console, surely they wouldn't be banking on the games that didn't move Wii U's. Gamecube BC did not move Wii's, Gamecube ports did not move Wii U's, and I'm quite sure Wii U ports will not move Switches. Problem with ports is, that porting Mario Kart 8, for example, may prevent them from making Mario Kart 9, that could actually be a good game. 

Pretty sure ZeldaWWHD moved WiiUs. I don't feel like grabbing the actual sales data, which is in one of my threads, but it did.

Content moves consoles. If NS is simple to port to due to nvidias awesome support, then maybe spending a few months dev time on a port of an existing, highly popular game, is worth the time. I'd be willing to be the three wiiu ports being pushed (splatoon, mk8, ssb) took less time to enhance and add new content than it would to make just one new game. That's three, very popular, large selling IPs out near NS launch vs maybe having one other game that is technically new. This combined with other new games such as ZeldaBotW and 3DMario from Nintendo at the very least. 

I think Nintendo is making very good decisions on this. Provide a solid mix of new and favorite content. I'm still betting splatoon and mk8 will be some kind of launch bundle or simply part of the free game with the base model. Guess we'll know tomorrow.

Hiku said:

From what I hear, Mario Kart 8 is also actually a good game. Many seem to have it as the best in the series, in fact. Expanding on it with new characters, tracks, items and mechanics may be a good idea. Imagine if they add as many new things to the expansion as they would for a brand new entry in the series. And they're able to do so more eassily because most of the groundwork has already been done. Then you'll essentially have MK8 + what would be MK9.

As for Gamecube ports not moving Wii, when you have a system that sold as much as Wii, you get diminishing returns for things like that. But for a system that sold historically low, and especially when they count on a new influx of buyers who previously only had a 3DS but not a Wii U, the situation is different.
If they (correctly) made the assumption that those games were not the reason the WiiU failed.

Well, MK8 would be good game if they'd fix the battle, online and mechanics. Tracks aren't that good either. Look, you don't go from a 30 million selling game to a seven million selling sequel if the game is any good. The driving mechanics are bad because the handling keeps changing all the time. The gameplay is so damn gimmicky; you start to hover, the vehicle handles differently, then you drive underwater, the vehicle handles differently, then you hover underwater, and the vehicle AGAIN handles differently. And it all happens during the same track. It's no fun. Then there are the tracks where you drive upside down for a while or sideways or whatever that makes you disorientated, not fun either.

Those games were the reason why Wii U failed. Gamecube to Wii was similar situation to Wii U to Switch. Gamecube games didn't move the Wii, and Wii U games will not move Switch. People rejected Wii U because it has no good games. Those games with potential to be good, are ruined by gimmicks with the controller.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Around the Network
superchunk said:

Pretty sure ZeldaWWHD moved WiiUs. I don't feel like grabbing the actual sales data, which is in one of my threads, but it did.

Content moves consoles. If NS is simple to port to due to nvidias awesome support, then maybe spending a few months dev time on a port of an existing, highly popular game, is worth the time. I'd be willing to be the three wiiu ports being pushed (splatoon, mk8, ssb) took less time to enhance and add new content than it would to make just one new game. That's three, very popular, large selling IPs out near NS launch vs maybe having one other game that is technically new. This combined with other new games such as ZeldaBotW and 3DMario from Nintendo at the very least. 

I think Nintendo is making very good decisions on this. Provide a solid mix of new and favorite content. I'm still betting splatoon and mk8 will be some kind of launch bundle or simply part of the free game with the base model. Guess we'll know tomorrow.

I doubt how many consoles WWHD moved, however, there's a certain number of GC fans that could've bought Wii U to play WWHD. I do agree that because of the games atmospheric visuals, it makes sense to make a HD version of Wind Waker, but I still doubt it reaching beyond the Gamecube fans.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Hiku said:
bdbdbd said:

Well, MK8 would be good game if they'd fix the battle, online and mechanics. Tracks aren't that good either. Look, you don't go from a 30 million selling game to a seven million selling sequel if the game is any good. The driving mechanics are bad because the handling keeps changing all the time. The gameplay is so damn gimmicky; you start to hover, the vehicle handles differently, then you drive underwater, the vehicle handles differently, then you hover underwater, and the vehicle AGAIN handles differently. And it all happens during the same track. It's no fun. Then there are the tracks where you drive upside down for a while or sideways or whatever that makes you disorientated, not fun either.

Those games were the reason why Wii U failed. Gamecube to Wii was similar situation to Wii U to Switch. Gamecube games didn't move the Wii, and Wii U games will not move Switch. People rejected Wii U because it has no good games. Those games with potential to be good, are ruined by gimmicks with the controller.

I haven't played MK8 so I don't have any opinions on how good it is. But regarding sales difference to Wii, Mario Kart on Wii was one of the most appealing titles to the casual/non-gamer crowd.
If you instead compare MK8's sales to a system bought by/for general gamers like the Gamecube and N64, the sales of MK8 are pretty much the same as MK Double Dash and MK64. And that's with half/a third of those system's instal base. It doesn't look to me like MK8's sales paint the picture of diminishing quality. On the contrary. The massive amount of casual gamers who bought Wii are gone. They went to mobile to play Candycrush, and they were not interested in the WiiU.

And I don't think the general consensus is that WiiU didn't have good games. Most of them got glowing reviews above anything else on other systems.
The issue I had was that it didn't have enough of them to warrant the high price of the system. Especially when I felt forced to buy a Pro Controller and possibly external harddrive space. And this is coming from someone who bought MK8 without buying a WiiU, because I expected things to change. More games, a Smash bundle/lowered price, etc. That didn't happen.

The general consensus is that Wii U doesn't have good games, if it did, people would be buying them.

Ok, so if the non-gamers aren't buying Wii U's because the games are bad, why aren't the gamers getting Wii U's if the games are good? That's right, they aren't. Yes, no matter which way you look at it, game sales indicate of diminishing quality. 

If you try to point out, that all the gamers are buying Wii U's, you can see how stupid it is to make these games/systems for gamers, if the size of the audience is sub-15 million. 

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

I think they just stated the obvious, not necessarily a confirmation, but obviously since the Switch is partially (if not mostly) a handheld system Pokemon will be on the system. Bear in mine the Pokemon Company/ Gamefreak have no choice but to release on Nintendo systems as Nintendo partially owns Pokemon, so I think its just a given

bdbdbd said:
Hiku said:

From what I hear, Mario Kart 8 is also actually a good game. Many seem to have it as the best in the series, in fact. Expanding on it with new characters, tracks, items and mechanics may be a good idea. Imagine if they add as many new things to the expansion as they would for a brand new entry in the series. And they're able to do so more eassily because most of the groundwork has already been done. Then you'll essentially have MK8 + what would be MK9.

As for Gamecube ports not moving Wii, when you have a system that sold as much as Wii, you get diminishing returns for things like that. But for a system that sold historically low, and especially when they count on a new influx of buyers who previously only had a 3DS but not a Wii U, the situation is different.
If they (correctly) made the assumption that those games were not the reason the WiiU failed.

your logic is awful

selling 7 million copies of a game on a system that has like 13 million owners is an INSANE attach rate, especially when considering that there haven't been THAT many Mario Kart system bundles

People have rated Mario Kart 8 as one of the best games in the series and even debated that it may be one of the best looking games this gen. Its not that Mario Kart Wii was so great that caused it to sell that many copies, its that the Wii install base was gigantic compared to the Wii U. Even so, proportionately Mario Kart 8 is selling at a wayyyy better attach rate than Mario Kart Wii did, which would suggest the fans prefer it

if another Nintendo system sells 100 million systems you'll see the next Mario Kart game have insane sales too

The reason the Wii U failed was because it was poor conceptually. I have NEVER heard someone claim that Nintendo's main IPs being mediocre was the issue with the Wii U. Mario 3D Land (albeit not my favorite) was rated solidly, Smash and Mario Kart rated fantastically, etc.

maybe a LACK of some of Nintendo's IPs hurt the Wii U (Zelda, Metroid, F Zero, a good Animal Crossing, a Pokemon home console game, etc. missing). 

the reality is though it was the concept of the system that failed. The majority of casual gamers and even a lot of old school Nintendo fans do not want a big tablet controller thing in their lap that they need to look down at. It raised the price of the system to quite high for what it was and didn't really add much to the experience 

Hikku and Superchunk...no offense but your arguments for ports are really...really pore. There are so many problems with ports.

The first thing I have to say, is that for you hikku(sorry if i put your username down wrong), you said you wanted to experience Mario Kart 8. Now do you want to experience that game specifically because it's the 8th installment, or because it's the newest game in the series? It's because it's the newest game in the series. Now why would you play that over Forza Horizon or Gran Turismo? Oh ya...because it's a different kind of game. The point? You're saying "well I want a Mario kart 8 port because i haven't played the game" - but the reality is that a Mario Kart 9 being in development is entirely possible. Mario Kart games have consistantly released every 3-4 years and by march Mario Kart 8 will have been almost 3 years old. It's time for a new mario kart game. When you say "I want to play Mario Kart 8" - what you're really saying is that you just want the latest installment in the series. This isn't God of War or The Last of Us, these aren't story based games where you need to experience certain installments. And if you say "well...I want Mario Kart 8 because it's unique mechanics" or because of it's quality...well that stuff will probably return. Realize that besides Mario Kart Wii(the Wii was the time of many strange things for Nintendo..), every console Mario Kart game has been recieved as well if not better than the previous installment. Mario Kart 64 - Mario Kart Double Dash - Mario Kart 8.

So why sell more Mario Kart 8? Because...it didn't sell as well??? What? Who cares. It was on a system that sold significantly less than the Wii. Nintendo are fine with Mario Kart 8's sales...why do us consumers have to chant them on and tell them to release mediocre .5 sequels just for the sake of cashing in more profit on a game that already has sold more than most Playstation and Xbox exclusives ever had?

The Wii U is a dangerous console for many reasons, but one of the biggest is that Nintendo fans are now willing to let Nintendo do ANYTHING just for a successful launch. I remember when Wii U fans used to heavily criticize Playstation 4 for it's remasters...and you know what? I got a Wii U because of NEW Nintendo games. Because fans were saying "Hey...these are were the new great exclusives are". Ports of multiplayer heavy games just isn't nintendo.

There are many other reasons why it doesn't make sense...but I am feeling lazy.